GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shed some light on this for me?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
:confused:

So I'm finally trying to decide on a wheel setup, and I've been digging into offsets and how to determine what will work but I'm slightly confused. For instance, I'd love to grab a set of these, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-regen5-parts/18-r32-wheels-set-of-four/r3218855112gdkt1/

But I'm not understanding the offset part. Am i to assume ET40 is a positive offset? Also, I know these are 8.5" wide which shouldn't really be an issue but is the offset to low? They do have a 9.5" ET42 but I feel like that would be too wide to fit in the fender even though the offset is slightly less ( i think ).. I'm lowered on VWR springs currently.. any light anyone could shed on this for me would be greatly appreciated.. Just trying to figure out which would be better for a more flush look without rubbing while gaining a good understanding of the subject..

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
The 9.5 would be too far for that ET. The ET40 should be flush in rear and just the tiniest poke in front. I would not go over a 235 tire though.

Gotcha, also, I was advised these are about 25 pounds each by a sales rep. I've heard so many different answers regarding the weight of the austins. Will these be lighter/ around the same weight? Does anyone know the weight of the austin wheel by itself? I just read that it may be a bad idea to get anything that's heavier than the stock for the bearings' sake.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Here's my conversation with a rep from Tirerack. Still at a loss here since I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to wheel/tire setups.

Hi, I'm about to purchase a set of wheels that are 8x8.5 5x112 40ET, and I was wondering what tire size I should go with..

Gill at 12:59, Feb 13:
235 40 or 245 35 18 would be best.

Jeremy at 13:00, Feb 13:
Also theyre 18 in.

Jeremy at 13:00, Feb 13:
and so if I went with a 225 do you think they'd be stretched?

Gill at 12:59, Feb 13:
Yes, it is. I use that size on 8.5" wheels for winter....not the best look

Jeremy at 13:02, Feb 13:
I'm slightly lowered on springs and someone mentioned I shouldnt go over 235's. So I should look for 235/40/18's then? Want to be as low profile as possible, but no rubbing, and no stretch

Gill at 13:01, Feb 13:
245 35 18 is actually the lowest profile of the 3.

Gill at 13:01, Feb 13:
extra width, but lower profile.

Jeremy at 13:03, Feb 13:
Hmmm I see... but would the size I mentioned still work

Jeremy at 13:03, Feb 13:

?*
Gill at 13:02, Feb 13:
It should, that offset is really low for it though. I'd check with the wheel retailer/maker.

Gill at 13:03, Feb 13:
You should be fine, we sell them at 42 with that size, no troubles. 2mm should not hurt.

Jeremy at 13:04, Feb 13:
I'm just nervous about the extra width on the 245 since the front wheels should have some slight poke

Gill at 13:03, Feb 13:
I don't think it will be an issue.

Jeremy at 13:05, Feb 13:
Gotcha. Thanks for your help.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Great site to see what impact each change has.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

For an 8.5 inch wheel I would go 235.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8-5&offset2=40

245/35 loses ~8mm of sidewall (less comfort):

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...2=35&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8-5&offset2=40

Compare price of the 2 tire sizes too.

That actually is super helpful, thanks for the input. Great news, I've ordered the wheels and decided to go with the 235's. Another question though - I currently have spacers, will I need to get rid of them in order for the new setup to fit?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
You won't need the spacers anymore.

Makes sense, however I'm nervous now. I have the wheels and tires already, but I'm nervous about the caliper having clearance. I have the PP so I know the brakes are bigger. Are these a direct carry over from the Golf R? The rep at REGEN5 (speaks very broken english) doesn't think they'll "fit a Golf R". What are your thoughts on this? I mean the stock and the aftermarket wheel are both 18's, and if anything I feel the caliper should have more clearance given the ET40 compared to the ET49 for stock..

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Makes sense, however I'm nervous now. I have the wheels and tires already, but I'm nervous about the caliper having clearance. I have the PP so I know the brakes are bigger. Are these a direct carry over from the Golf R? The rep at REGEN5 (speaks very broken english) doesn't think they'll "fit a Golf R". What are your thoughts on this? I mean the stock and the aftermarket wheel are both 18's, and if anything I feel the caliper should have more clearance given the ET40 compared to the ET49 for stock..

Don’t be nervous. If you have the wheels, just get your lug wrench out and throw one on the front to see if it clears.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Okay so idk if I just didn't have it lined up right or what, but I jacked the car up on the emergency jack since I didn't have one, took the stock wheel off, and tried holding the new one up since I don't have the conical lugs yet. It definitely was hitting the caliper but it looked like the wheel was sitting really low on the assembly from my vantage point. I then put my 15mm spacer back on and it was spinning pretty freely from what I could tell but like... is that going to be way too much poke?... If these truly wont fit without spacers, should I move down to like a 10mm or something? Idk I'm very flustered right now

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Did you put the hub centering rings on when you test fit them?

Also, if you haven't, I'd recommend getting one of these...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/wheel-hanger-m14x15-thread/002840sch01a/

Will help getting the wheels on.

The rings came yesterday, and the cone seat bolts come today. I didn't have the rings when I was just holding them up. So I should be able to test this with my buddy on Saturday. Also, that looks like it would help tremendously seeing that I always have issues lol.