GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ditch stock Pirelli Cinturato P7s w/ 35k? 1 has bubble, 1 is flat...

Hammertime

Passed Driver's Ed
Ive had 2 GTI's that came stock with Pirelles (hated both....noisy as heck, worn out after about 25-30000 miles). Wifes Jetta Came with Continentals, those vibrated and got really noisy after about 12000. I use Michilin Pilots now and like them a lot.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Personally I would go with a bit of a bigger tire... I like these

MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
High Performance All-Season
Size: 235/40R18 95H XL
5-Rib Tread Design
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 95H
UTQG: 500 AA A

should be good for 50k miles at least

nype

Drag Racing Champion
BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

Are up there ratings wise. I like the blocky tread on the sidewall edge.

Tread pattern is unidirectional.

A bit cheaper than the Michelins and the Contis.

Last edited:

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
DWS 06. I've had 2 sets on my MKV and they are excellent A/S tires. Wear very well, not noisy at all. Current set has about 18K miles on them and the "S" still shows. Rotated every 5-7K.

My MK7 came with the stock Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S. So far after 5K miles I don't think they are as bad as everyone says. I've been driving them spirited in all conditions and while they aren't up to the DWS 06 standards, they aren't horrid either.

I'll run them until I notice issues like noise, lack of grip, damage, etc and then get my 3rd set of DWS 06's.

Pot holes, low profile tire and weak rims don't mix. I doubt it's the tires fault when you hit a major pothole. Our roads are horrid in Illinois, I do the slalom every day on the way to work, weaving in and out of the pot hole areas. I have my route memorized trying to avoid a damaged rim/blown tire, etc. It's a challenge.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Personally I would go with a bit of a bigger tire... I like these

MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
High Performance All-Season
Size: 235/40R18 95H XL
5-Rib Tread Design
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 95H
UTQG: 500 AA A

should be good for 50k miles at least
Don't you need wider rims?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
DWS 06. I've had 2 sets on my MKV and they are excellent A/S tires. Wear very well, not noisy at all. Current set has about 18K miles on them and the "S" still shows. Rotated every 5-7K.

My MK7 came with the stock Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S. So far after 5K miles I don't think they are as bad as everyone says. I've been driving them spirited in all conditions and while they aren't up to the DWS 06 standards, they aren't horrid either.

I'll run them until I notice issues like noise, lack of grip, damage, etc and then get my 3rd set of DWS 06's.

Pot holes, low profile tire and weak rims don't mix. I doubt it's the tires fault when you hit a major pothole. Our roads are horrid in Illinois, I do the slalom every day on the way to work, weaving in and out of the pot hole areas. I have my route memorized trying to avoid a damaged rim/blown tire, etc. It's a challenge.

I think the stock Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S tires have performed fine for me in terms of noise, wear, and traction. I thought the grip was actually great considering that they are considered "grand touring" tires.

Where they fell flat (no pun intended) for me was in sidewall strength. I tore one open on the highway due to a pothole, and now got this sidewall bubble due to a pothole. Unless it is just my luck and its due to the exact angle I hit these potholes at, I am disappointed, as these were "moderate" potholes at best.

On my SAAB I had 215/45 R17 tires for a decade. I hit potholes many times worse than what I have hit with the GTI...and never had any tire damage. The difference may be that all of the tires I had on the SAAB were either high performance summer-only tires or ultra high performance all season tires...which I would assume means that they had stronger sidewalls than the grand touring Pirelli Cinturatos. Hoping I have better luck with ultra high performance all seasons.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
So you're comparing a narrower tire with a thicker sidewall and saying it did better on potholes? It should. 215/45/17 is a different tire than 225/40/17.

When it comes to bad potholes, I don't think you can blame the tire entirely. While I'm not a huge fan of the Pirelli's I've seen so called "better" tires with supposed stiffer sidewalls do the exact same thing recently. Either way it stinks and is very frustrating. Probably another good reason some people run Winter rims and tires....lol

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
So you're comparing a narrower tire with a thicker sidewall and saying it did better on potholes? It should. 215/45/17 is a different tire than 225/40/17.

When it comes to bad potholes, I don't think you can blame the tire entirely. While I'm not a huge fan of the Pirelli's I've seen so called "better" tires with supposed stiffer sidewalls do the exact same thing recently. Either way it stinks and is very frustrating. Probably another good reason some people run Winter rims and tires....lol

I hear ya, I just thought that the tires were similar (not exactly the same) in profile height...

215 * .45 = 96.75mm
225 * .40 = 90 mm

6.75 mm...about a quarter of an inch...its a difference, but I didn't think it was much of a difference.

And, on the SAAB, I had a modified suspension with much less travel than the stock GTI...so I'm thinking that made the tires take even more of a share of the load when hitting potholes vs the tires on the GTI.

All of that said, I'm with you, my thoughts and suspicions do not constitute any kind of official experiment or analysis...it's anecdotal, and a small sample size. It could just be my luck.

With 35k miles...decent tread was remaining but definitely past mid life, so I guess it was time to get a new set of tires anyway...so I'm fine with ditching them. I think overall, other than durability, I was happy with the tires for sure. It does bring up a good argument as you mention for getting winter tires/wheels, even if one uses high performance all season tires in the summer.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Ital - I was considering 235/40 because you get a little taller sidewall vs the stock 225/40...but not as tall as a 225/45. Seemed like a good compromise to just get a little more meat in there.

But with the 7.5" rim, while the tires would fit, I worried that the sidewalls wouldn't be vertical, which I have heard can make the handling a little "squishy"?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
My buddy bought an Elantra Sport about the same time I bought my GTI. He just showed me pics of 2 bent rims and a blown sidewall. He is super pissed about it and trying to get the City to pay...............lol.

I forget the stock tire brand, but I believe they were 40 series all season tires. It just plain stinks for him and for you. I hope I can continue to be lucky and avoid the same.

Good luck.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

Are up there ratings wise. I like the blocky tread on the sidewall edge.

Tread pattern is unidirectional.

A bit cheaper than the Michelins and the Contis.
I have these on my E class diesel on 17s. great tire. Tiny bit of rubber sticking/like, vht sound... for the first 500-1000 mi but now theyre sweet as can be. Great turn in and break away progressively. not sure how itll feel on a car 1000 lbs lighter

my pilot sport a/s3s would lose traction without much warning cornering on throttle, despite being able to correct mid corner without issue; they were also harsh riding and transmitted alot of road noise. By 10k miles were basically dead .... Wonderful straight line accel and braking feel though. Transformed the car from the run flats it came on, and was more comfortable and cheaper by far. Just not where ill spend my money again.

i have the bridgsetone re97as on my gti and personally ive gotten used to them. they are better laterally then straight line....

Last edited:

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
On a related note, what tire pressures are you guys running? (Mainly for those running the stock tire size, stock suspension etc)

Thanks!