GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Fuel Tank Size on mk7 GTI

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Do you stop at the automatic shutoff? It’s astonishing how much extra fuel can be put into it if you’re patient. On Friday I tested this and got in more than 2 extra gallons after the pump stopped itself.

Here in New Jersey...I....uh..don't pump the gas myself.

There's always a small amount of topping off but I've never seen the car take more than 11.5.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'll take a video next time I fill up at the "give me a full tank" station.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
There's really only a usable ten.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

There's really a usable of 13.2 since that's the tank size. Not sure how you come to only having 10 gallons of usable fuel?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
There's really a usable of 13.2 since that's the tank size. Not sure how you come to only having 10 gallons of usable fuel?

If he can only fill 10, he can only use 10. I think realistically any pump will let you fill from bone dry to 11, but 13.2 does seem to be nearly unreachable via most pumps.

Chuckable

Ready to race!
Have a new to me 2016 CPO GTI and notice that the fuel gauge drops very quick after fill-up. I’m going to track it and see how much I fill up versus the gauge reading. Here’s from yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
usable and absolute are different measures. Your usable also depends on how comfortable you are with fumes

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
People, you need to remember a fuel gauge is an approximate indicator. It's not designed to give pinpoint accurate readings like a tach or speedo. Every car is a bit different so it's a matter of getting accustomed to how the gauge functions.

Mine has been pretty accurate since day 1. I fill up with about 12 gallons when it's between about an 1/8 and reserve. I pay little attention to "miles left" as that is a running average at that specific point and time. I glance at it, but it's merely a gauge also as I can extend or hold or decrease the miles left based on throttle inputs. Again, that number of mile left is not to be taken as absolute. It's a guide, an indicator, but by no means is it 100% accurate.

Now if you are experiencing numbers that don't add up, then you might have an issue with the sending unit or gauge just like the recall. If you are sitting on E and only putting in 9-10 gallons of fuel and are sure the pump is functioning properly then you should have it checked out. But for all of you who are expecting it to be accurate within a few ounces, not going to happen.

It is interesting about the VW Connect app giving a bit more accurate info. Obviously it's taking a more precise reading electronically, independent of throttle and other driver inputs, etc.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Have a new to me 2016 CPO GTI and notice that the fuel gauge drops very quick after fill-up. I’m going to track it and see how much I fill up versus the gauge reading. Here’s from yesterday.

Drops quickly because the pump didn't let you fill it up. So what you're seeing is just the gauge somewhat accurately catching up to a tank that is only 85%ish full.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I will also add that every time you fill up you are not putting in the same amount of fuel as your prior fill up. It will vary a bit based on the pump, time of day and weather. It's not going to be a lot, but every pump will be a bit different if you are relying on the pump shut off. So that right there already causes some issues tracking fuel, even if you hand calculate.

I personally put in an extra 1/2 gallon after it first clicks off.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yes about the approx and mine is also reasonably accurate. I do find it's mpg reading about 2 mpg optimistic. but till I get bored and obd11 it's OK.

VW connect app....I can't imagine paying for it. Got a msg the other day where it said your windows are down and rain is in the area. The randow warnings fo windows down and unlocked are just crying wolf. The idea is good but execution is poor. I wonder if the app is better as I see range gets rounded off to 5 mile numbers on the car display?

I would love a believable rain and windows down warning (still too cheap to pay $100 year even if it was perfect)