GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles can we reasonably expect out of our cars?

sdo1349

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT,
I have a MB S500 with 190K, a tank on rubber. Just bought a GTI 6MT and love it, my daily driver. Benz has a bigger trunk when I need to haul 2-3 bodies, LOL. My biggest concern with the GTI is how long will that turbo 4cyl last with proper maintenance and not abused? 125K, 150K?? I drive about 20K a year

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
I tend to keep my cars long term, sold my 2005 E91 325i Touring in October and that had done 165,000 but was starting to cost a lot of money to maintain it (£2000 in bills in a 12 month period)

My view is that the tipping point is between 100,000 and 120,000 miles, the value plummets and bills start mounting, I’ve made the mistake of keeping two BMW’s beyond this point, spent a fortune on maintaining them and sold them for nothing. If I do keep my current GTD (can’t decide at the moment) I’ll get rid of it before 100,000 miles.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I had my MKIV that was at 150k miles and was so very strong still engine and transmission wise.
Why did I sell it? The salt ate the car away...

Otherwise I wouldn't even have my MK7 at all!

BrenVan95

Although I have a '17 GTI now, my previous FBO UNI stage 2 MKV GTI had over 250,000 KM's on it when I sold it. The car had been tuned for over 100,000 Km's. I never had any major issues.

G7Rules

Ready to race!
The salt ate the car away...

What happened, rusted frame? Also, what advice can you give to prevent this from happening as much as possible?

Our city seems to have a surplus of salt and the roads become slippery from the amount of sand/salt/gravel on them. My car is caked with crud and it makes me sick.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
What happened, rusted frame? Also, what advice can you give to prevent this from happening as much as possible?

Our city seems to have a surplus of salt and the roads become slippery from the amount of sand/salt/gravel on them. My car is caked with crud and it makes me sick.
Wash it.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi

Rusted body. Components on car started to rust and break needing replacement. Such as calipers, suspension and power steering.
I was the second owner and I am convinced the original owner never washed the salt off during the winters he had the car. I mean the car was fifteen years old when I sold it and I had it for ten years.

On a weekly basis I thoroughly wash the car down and spend a generous amount of time rinsing the salt off the undercarriage and wheel wells. I also keep the wax up to date by using strong protection such as Collinite every chance I get.

Time will tell if I will get more than fifteen years out of the darn thing. Ik rust will eventually eat away at it. But if I can make it to 20 years I will be a very happy camper.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This might shock some of you, but a neighbor of mine works for Audi and once asked me how long do you think a car should last? I told him at least 200k. He said Audi considered 100k miles an acceptable "lifetime". The average German drives a little less than 9k miles a year, which means to get to 100k would take almost 12 years. I imagine that a car lasting 12 years is an acceptable "lifetime" to Audi.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I bought my car 2 years ago with 32k miles on it. I've gotten it up to 54k so far, most of that being tuned. There was not indication the car being tuned or modified prior to me getting it it. If I get it up to 120k - 140k miles without major issues, I'll be happy. I'm very aggressive with maintenance, oil changes every 6 months regardless of mileage, DSG fluid changed at 40k and will do it again at 60k, regular plug swaps, PCV changed the second I noticed the breather hose had oil seepage, etc...

So I'm hopeful to get 6 to 8 more years out of the car.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What's the consensus on how well an Mk7 is built as compared to an Mk4? If my Mk7 TDI gets me 150-175k I'll be happy... but that will take another 12-15 years at my current pace so I'm more concerned with time than miles.

My Mk4 GTI is at at 230k, almost 17 years since it was built. It still runs great but time is catching up with it for sure. No engine rebuild, regular maintenance (according to the records) before I bought it at ~100k. I replaced the door modules as the car stopped recognizing when they were opened (but that didn't cause any real issues, they still locked/unlocked fine). The red characters in the dash "screen" have faded significantly but I probably won't replace it. Also replaced the coil pack harness as I was getting random misfires. Besides that I've only done regular maintenance, unknown tune when I bought it and APR since that time. It is a rattle trap, I don't even try to identify/fix them anymore. And the headliner is sagging in the rear. CA and GA sun will do that for you, along with time of course.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
My previous 2010 GTI went from 34mi to 129k mi over nine years with no major issues. Most expensive repair was getting the carbon scrub on the cylinder valves.