GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liquid Moly MolyGen

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not the same oil, but same dye added to the oil. I figured you guys would like to see it in action out in the real world.

Here’s an oil leak under black light on a Airbus A320 earlier this week.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Super cool, looks like predator blood. ;)

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
So I ordered 2 liqui moly molygen service kits from ecs and have a general question. I'm fairly new to doing my own maintenance and mechanical work so please excuse my ignorance. if I'm currently running the Liqui Moly (non-molygen) and I switch to Liqui Moly Molygen, do I need to flush or anything prior to performing the service with the new molygen?

Tigsel

Ready to race!
So I ordered 2 liqui moly molygen service kits from ecs and have a general question. I'm fairly new to doing my own maintenance and mechanical work so please excuse my ignorance. if I'm currently running the Liqui Moly (non-molygen) and I switch to Liqui Moly Molygen, do I need to flush or anything prior to performing the service with the new molygen?

No you don't need to flush anything. The only questions is why did you decided to switch to Molygen? On the paper it isn't really any better than their regular 5w-40 and it's definitely inferior to their 0w-40. Would love to get your feedback after a thousand miles.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
No you don't need to flush anything. The only questions is why did you decided to switch to Molygen? On the paper it isn't really any better than their regular 5w-40 and it's definitely inferior to their 0w-40. Would love to get your feedback after a thousand miles.

no good reason as to why I got the Molygen. Im currently running their regular 5w40 and thought I'd give the Molygen 5w-40 a shot. With the sale they were running, it was only a little extra. My friend told me that he recommends 0w40 as well. Any particular reason for this?

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
no good reason as to why I got the Molygen. Im currently running their regular 5w40 and thought I'd give the Molygen 5w-40 a shot. With the sale they were running, it was only a little extra. My friend told me that he recommends 0w40 as well. Any particular reason for this?

lighter weight oil = less friction

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
0-40 is appropriate for the car as long as it’s the correct spec rated oil.

Factory fill is 5w30 I believe, but 0 or 5w40 offers better protection (first number is cold viscosity, second being the hot one)

So the zero is better for cold start than 5 and the 40 is better for high temps than 30.

Tigsel

Ready to race!

Better base stock. Liquid Moly "0W" (as many others) use mostly true synthetic PAO group IV base stock, vs "5W" are mostly group III hydrocracked dyno stock.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
0-40 is appropriate for the car as long as it’s the correct spec rated oil.

Factory fill is 5w30 I believe, but 0 or 5w40 offers better protection (first number is cold viscosity, second being the hot one)

So the zero is better for cold start than 5 and the 40 is better for high temps than 30.

Thanks for this explanation. Was wondering this myself.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
If you're in a hot climate with more mild winters, like Texas, you're better off running 5w as opposed to 0w though.

0w-40 does tend to shear down a bit to a 30 weight in these engines.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
If you're in a hot climate with more mild winters, like Texas, you're better off running 5w as opposed to 0w though.

0w-40 does tend to shear down a bit to a 30 weight in these engines.

0w or 5w has nothing to do with how hot climate is, more like how cold it could get. And no, 0W-40 does not shear faster than 5w-40. In fact 5W-40 sheers more than any 0W does.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
0w or 5w has nothing to do with how hot climate is, more like how cold it could get. And no, 0W-40 does not shear faster than 5w-40. In fact 5W-40 sheers more than any 0W does.

Yes, oils such as M1 0w-40 will shear down to 30wt in hot climates.

There are numerous threads on BITOG and elsewhere detailing this.

So long as you're using VW 502 approved oil, there's not anything to worry about. I'm relaying a very fine, and narrow point here.