GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI IS20 vs GTI IS38 *Video*

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
why not. Ive been running that pressure for quite a while. totaly stock condition.

Lol if you're looking at the boost gauge on the info screen it's off. Subtract 14.7ish to get what your real boost is, like oldschoolmk7 said

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Haven't read the whole thread but the dyno is set up to read engine HP calculated off of wheel HP.

Gonna keep reading and see if anyone else caught this.

EDIT:

Looks like no one pointed this out.

ReEdit:

Reading is hard

Last edited:

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Haven't read the whole thread but the dyno is set up to read engine HP calculated off of wheel HP.

Gonna keep reading and see if anyone else caught this.

EDIT:

Looks like no one pointed this out.

Where do you see this? Those look like wheel numbers to me.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure he's on e30ish plus meth. I'm right around the same hp and about 10 less tq running straight e44.

Thank you. Surprisingly on piggy my car runs really good @ e40 ish too.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
My is20 would be one of those that is peaking 29 psi. I'd love to hear your reasoning here.

Briefly, absent a compressor map I looked for a wheel of similar size, Garrett's GT2554 is very similar in size and has a map. Interestingly there are older versions of the map that extended to higher rpm's, makes you wonder why they lowered the operating envelope. Whether the older or current map, neither extends up to a PR of 3 which is where 29 psi puts things. To get to that PR the wheel needs to be turning around 190k, a speed that if you go through Garrett or BW maps you find very few wheels being designed for.

At this point I make an assumption that if a couple major turbocharger manufacturers make few products to operate at that speed regime, and the IS20 normally does not, it probably was not intended to be driven that hard.

Second reason, if the IS20 had an envelope that reliably extended that far then there would not have been need to put the IS38 into the R, simply turn up the boost a bit and have an even wider operating range in that vehicle and simplify your maintenance support to the product lines.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong, time will tell how long the IS20 lasts being pushed that hard.