GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just went STAGE 2 APR POP n BANG

Navi

Autocross Champion
wasn't there a whole thread of people having issues with the apr pops? A few of them had to flash back to stock and wait for revisions.. and if I remember correctly, some could never get the car running right so went back to the regular apr tune without the pops

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
wasn't there a whole thread of people having issues with the apr pops? A few of them had to flash back to stock and wait for revisions.. and if I remember correctly, some could never get the car running right so went back to the regular apr tune without the pops

If I remember correctly, he went back to regular (no pops) and still had boost issue. After it was fixed, it was said that the issue was with the tune and not related to the pop/bang map.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Your stage 2 setup with a resonator and some snap, crackle, and pop -- that sounds fun and enjoyable to me -- nice speed and a bit of character too.

Navi

Autocross Champion
If I remember correctly, he went back to regular (no pops) and still had boost issue. After it was fixed, it was said that the issue was with the tune and not related to the pop/bang map.

hm ok.. I didn't remember

Aussie R

Ready to race!
My set up with this tune and BCS res delete obviously sounds good enough for holden SSV and Subaru WRX drivers to take notice and give me thumbs up just before when driving home from work. Never had that before.

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been on this tune for two weeks. I am not sure that I like it and I am probably going to go back to the standard HTQ apr 2 tune. I have stock catback also. The sound inside the car is more like a thud then a snap, pop, or crackle. I have wondered what it sounded like outside the car too

Summons

Dumping raw fuel into the cat can't do any good.

Thankfully the guys with the slide rulers agree, and have the ECU ignite the fuel with the exhaust stroke spark... ?

It's how most of the modern cars (our Rs included as I understand it) pretend to after fire. Spit a bit of fuel into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke and spark it off with the valves open to get the POP to transmit out the tail pipe.

My '12 Cooper S did the "burble and pop" when in Sport mode, and was silent otherwise - this was stock from the factory. (You should see the threads on NAM about the burble and pop - both loved and despised!) ?

I gather that as long as the fuel has been detonated prior the cat, no harm done, and that the amount of fuel is really negligible... I was never able to detect an economy difference with my Cooper in Sport or Normal mode - and I watched it closely. Any traffic or heavy footedness seemed to obscure the difference.

I could have done without the burble and pop myself, sadly though, other changes like heavyer steering and a lighter throttle feel came with the Sport mode as well.

In the OPs case, I'd take the power and dump the pop... But that's just my opinion! ?
Eric

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I actually think this is one of the biggest "rice burner" things APR has ever done.. If your car has the HP and fueling because it's actually fast(not just sounds like it) it will throw a real backfire here and there. I think those are way more cool. Also, to the people concerned about the catylitic converter, not everyone runs one on their modded cars.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
I have been on this tune for two weeks. I am not sure that I like it and I am probably going to go back to the standard HTQ apr 2 tune. I have stock catback also. The sound inside the car is more like a thud then a snap, pop, or crackle. I have wondered what it sounded like outside the car too

Yes, I agree, it definitely sounds like more a thud from inside the car. I will probably revert to standard HTQ APR Stage 2 as well

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yes, I agree, it definitely sounds like more a thud from inside the car. I will probably revert to standard HTQ APR Stage 2 as well
On a Golf R with the full stock cat back any pops are going to be damped real good, even in race mode. Remove your resonator or replace your cat back and the car's noise really wakes up.

Also with my experience with another popping turbo car the Focus RS, it makes a half thud half pop noise with the stock exhaust too.

Every clip I've seen that really pops and bangs is with aftermarket cat backs, but that doesn't mean a bit of flavor with the stock exhaust is a bad thing.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk