GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken alignment pin hole on shift assembly.

mnsabtty

Hi All,

I recently was removing a short shift kit from a 15 GTI S and replacing with the stock assembly. went to go adjust the cables and when I popped up the shift boot it turns out the the alignment ring is broken. I tried having my girlfriend hold it into place, but I am not getting a good alignment still when reconnecting the cable ends. when everything is hooked up it feels like it is in reverse, but it is actually in 1st gear. going to try adjusting it again tonight, but are there any tips for manually adjusting the cables without having the 5mm pin inserted under the shift boot?

SRoads

Ready to race!
The home position for the shifter inside the cabin is not neutral(in between neutral and second really). From your post, I am having a hard time telling what is actually broken. Can you take a photo? The cable ends should be connected to the gearbox shifter arm during the alignment procedure.

Last edited:

mnsabtty

The home position for the shifter inside the cabin is not neutral(in between neutral and second really). From your post, I am having a hard time telling what is actually broken. Can you take a photo?

Not home at the moment, but here is the part from the catalog. On the other side from #4 is a plastic ring that goes around the stick. there is a hole off of that that you put a 5mm tool through, and into a hole in the base below. These 2 parts line up the stick to a center position. wehn this is fixed, then you move the transmission to the correct position and lock it in place, after that you just connect the cables and everything is in alignment. The plastic hole on the top part has cracked, so it won't hold the tool in place, and I cannot get the shifts lined up.

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...ENTS-MANUAL-TRANS-CENTER-CONSOLE/9282385.html

SRoads

Ready to race!
First you use the locking pin on the trans, then open the cable ends, then align the shifter in the car. Last you close the cable ends, unlock the trans, remove the pin from the shifter and try the H pattern to make sure you can access all the gears. You never disconnect the cables. If anything from the base is broken, you are better off replacing it. I would recommend looking for one on car-part.com and either pulling it locally from a junk yard or getting one pulled from near you and shipped. Ebay also has them. New ones run about $150 plus shipping in my google searches.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hi All,

I recently was removing a short shift kit from a 15 GTI S and replacing with the stock assembly. went to go adjust the cables and when I popped up the shift boot it turns out the the alignment ring is broken. I tried having my girlfriend hold it into place, but I am not getting a good alignment still when reconnecting the cable ends. when everything is hooked up it feels like it is in reverse, but it is actually in 1st gear. going to try adjusting it again tonight, but are there any tips for manually adjusting the cables without having the 5mm pin inserted under the shift boot?

This happened to me too. Here are a few pics. Was hoping the number was just for the plastic piece but it seems to be the entire shifter assembly?

I was still able to get my shifter aligned but it’s off a few mm since I can’t line up the two holes. Shifts okay.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Not that I think of it, Since I still have part of the grove left in the shifter hole I probably can use a zip tie to pull it together with the alignment pin. I was trying to tie with some string or a cable, then stuffed a bunch of towels on the top right of the shifter so it could align...not sure why I didn't think of a zip tie.

Eventually I fixed the slack on my shifter cables with the transmission pin locked and that has my shifter pretty good. I'll have to try it out tomorrow and see if needs to be adjusted more.