GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 DSG vs. Charger "HEMI"

takemorepills

Ready to race!
On my way home, I was sitting at a red light facing a freeway on-ramp with a merge getting onto the on ramp when some guy in a Charger with the "HEMI" fender logos came screeching to a stop on my right side, acting froggy. This is my favorite spot to run people. I do NOT know what a "HEMI" Charger is capable of, all I could discern was bigger wheels, lowered, exhaust and intake by the way he bombed into the lane next to me. Honestly my biggest concern was FWD traction, as usual! When the light turned green we both launched, I had to pedal my car a bit but I was able to keep the FWD demons at bay, the DSG was in regular "D" mode (as if it matters?) and through first gear I surprised myself, I was able to stay dead even with a RWD V8 car, finally! Not even a chirp from the front tires (I normally blow the tires off when provoked:eek:) and of course getting into 2nd gear pulled a good deal and when 3rd gear hit the GTI really started to pull away at which point the Charger guy graciously let off to merge a safe distance behind me. I appreciated this guy knowing when to give up and not try and push things over the speed limit.

But I am most proud of not blowing my tires off this time! Small personal victory for me! I am not so sure if it is a big deal for a JB1 GTI to beat a HEMI Charger...I doubt they are even quick?

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
If they added a Hemi decal themselves, they are usually slow. I have an R though so even Hellcats can't beat me light to light from a dig.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A buddy of mine has a challenger R/T with a cam, headers, intake and tune. Even with a passenger and my roof rack I pull him hard. They're big heavy cars, but they do sound really mean.

If you run into a charger or challenger "392" you're gonna be in trouble. I haven't gotten a good clean run with the one at work, but they run 12s stock

bigred1

Passed Driver's Ed
The 6.4 liters run good. Anything 15 plus with the 8 speed auto is a low to mid 12 @ 112-114 mph with traction. Still 4300-4400 curb...

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
The 6.4 liters run good. Anything 15 plus with the 8 speed auto is a low to mid 12 @ 112-114 mph with traction. Still 4300-4400 curb...

Yeah, but those are track times too. So they won't run that on an unprepped street. If you have an R with a tune you will embarrass a lightly modded SRT on the street.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I know the 5.7 is slow for what they are, checked their forums they run 98 MPH stock 1/4, but will run consistently 102 MPH with some $400 in mods. A JB1 GTI DSG will still be a bit quicker.

I was just impressed that I was able to avoid wheelspin. Those of you guys with GolfR commenting....yeah it's a different kind of challenge with FWD!

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Oh I know, I have an R now, but I had an IS38 swapped GTI before that. Good tires make a big difference, as well as proper suspension mods.

the 17 turbo cars dude

Ready to race!
I think your GTI is on par with the Hemi. The Hemi are 370hp/390lb-tq but dragging 4300lbs of weight. our JB GTI is probably around 300hp give or take but our car weights about 3100lbs which is like 25% less so on paper you us are in similar power to weight ratios.

I raced a Hemi on m wife's A3 2.0(AWD) MQB platform with APR and I slowly walked from a Hemi. I also raced the SRT Sctapacks (485hp 6.4l) and I beat them on my S3 with Stage II APR and these scatpacks tested 12.4@115 according to car and driver.