GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The flip side is you will not know how the previous owner maintained / drove it, especially with performance cars like this. My preference would be better to buy a brand new one with similar pricing or a little premium.

Totally agree. That's why I was trying to steer them to new. This category of cars has a higher likelihood for abuse by the PO.

sebastian1

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,

I wanted to know your opinion on this. I've put down $500 for a new car with a dealer to hold the car three days ago.

Now I think I might be able to get a better deal with a local dealer. I'm confused as to how I can retrieve my deposit from the previous dealer. I had not signed any non-refundable agreement etc, it was just a credit card transaction and I have a credit card receipt for the same. Let me know if I stand a chance to get my money back.

soflo-nochi

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,

I wanted to know your opinion on this. I've put down $500 for a new car with a dealer to hold the car three days ago.

Now I think I might be able to get a better deal with a local dealer. I'm confused as to how I can retrieve my deposit from the previous dealer. I had not signed any non-refundable agreement etc, it was just a credit card transaction and I have a credit card receipt for the same. Let me know if I stand a chance to get my money back.

Signed nothing? Worst case if they do not want to give you your money back you can call your credit card company and request a charge back. The credit card company will likely refund you the money and ask the merchant (dealer in this case) to provide information or evidence as to why they deserve to keep the money they charged you. If they have nothing they will lose the dispute and have to refund the money to the credit card company and you're good to go!

--2017 MK7 GTI PP Autobahn

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Worst case if they do not want to give you your money back you can call your credit card company and request a charge back.

I thought about the same. But OP has signed on credit card transaction receipt authorizing the payment. Will the credit card company still refund the payment?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I thought about the same. But OP has signed on credit card transaction receipt authorizing the payment. Will the credit card company still refund the payment?
A refundable deposit is a deposit. They have to legally return your money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

soflo-nochi

Passed Driver's Ed

Deposits are funky when it comes to charge backs but usually you sign something stating the terms of the deposit and in his case it seems as if he did not. It is up to the merchant to prove that the transaction was fulfilled and in this case they may need to prove it was nonrefundable.

To answer your question, as long as the credit card receipt he signed was a generic with no terms and conditions specific to the transaction he will most likely win the transaction.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Deposits are funky when it comes to charge backs but usually you sign something stating the terms of the deposit and in his case it seems as if he did not. It is up to the merchant to prove that the transaction was fulfilled and in this case they may need to prove it was nonrefundable.

To answer your question, as long as the credit card receipt he signed was a generic with no terms and conditions specific to the transaction he will most likely win the transaction.

Thats good to know. I have read multiple comments about "calling the credit card company" but have not come across anyone who really did that when dealer refuse to give the deposit back.

Also i thought since i would have authorized the payment by signing the credit card transaction, it was my responsibility to prove the deposit was refundable.

sebastian1

Passed Driver's Ed

So this is an out of state dealer, I was charged on my credit card over the phone, I haven't signed anything not even the credit card receipt. This brings me to my next question, if i do go back on the deal , what reason should I mention to the dealer ? Should I say that I got a better deal locally and it isn't worth driving out his far. I'm just speculating if that could be grounds they aren't happy and they deny my refund. I was want this to go down well, that's all.

JStat

Hey folks. So after test driving a GTI this weekend, I've fallen in love and I think I'm ready to buy. Does this seem like a fair deal?

From a Virginia dealer:

GTI Sport w/ DSG: $26,099 before taxes and tags with 1.9% APR for 60 months.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Hey folks. So after test driving a GTI this weekend, I've fallen in love and I think I'm ready to buy. Does this seem like a fair deal?

From a Virginia dealer:

GTI Sport w/ DSG: $26,099 before taxes and tags with 1.9% APR for 60 months.

That's a tad high. You shouldn't be paying over $25k. Truecar for D.C. area has that configuration at $24,925. That would be absolute max I'd be willing to pay before any affinity discounts (such as USAA $500 off, etc).

Two previous posters on this page are saying they got theirs for $23.5k. Always remember that GTIs are built in mass quantities and VW dealers do want to move them.

JStat

That's a tad high. You shouldn't be paying over $25k. Truecar for D.C. area has that configuration at $24,925. That would be absolute max I'd be willing to pay before any affinity discounts (such as USAA $500 off, etc).

Two previous posters on this page are saying they got theirs for $23.5k. Always remember that GTIs are built in mass quantities and VW dealers do want to move them.

Thanks for the response... I'll keep negotiating.

It also looks like those 2 posters picked up a GTI S not Sport. MSRP on the Sport is about $2500 more.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the response... I'll keep negotiating.

It also looks like those 2 posters picked up a GTI S not Sport. MSRP on the Sport is about $2500 more.

Totally missed the S instead of Sport. My bad. Yeah, the Sport is basically what I got in S trim (w/ LP and PP) before the Sport trim was introduced. I didn't get black mirrors or push button start, but I did get foglights.

Shoot for $25k or lower.