GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Management / DPF? Error

Roblog

Hi all, I'm new here but was after some advice.

I have a 64 plate GTD, done 70k miles (approx 500 miles a week, most of which are motorway).

Last week the engine emission light appeared, so I took it in to the stealer and they said that the DPF (particulate filter) needs a force reset, and that it would NOT be covered by warranty?!, I also pay for the car to be fully maintained...(VW finance). They also refuse to pay for it, which seems ludacis to me. They are almost accusing me of driving it too and from the shops and not giving that car chance to run it's manual DPF reset programme (which is bull crap given my drivImg style and habits).

I've never seen the DPF icon appear etc (orange exhaust as I understand).

Any ideas guys? Think I'm going to have to take this up with trading standards..disgusting customer service from VW.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Have you had the car from day one ?

What warranty are you covered with at the moment with 70k miles on the clock ?

I suspect the DPF is not covered under your 'Service with Maintenance plan' anyway have you checked the terms and conditions.

Roblog

Have you had the car from day one ?

What warranty are you covered with at the moment with 70k miles on the clock ?

I suspect the DPF is not covered under your 'Service with Maintenance plan' anyway have you checked the terms and conditions.

Had car from day one.

You are correct, just out of manufacturers warranty due to mileage.

Checked T&C's which state that all elements of maintenance are covered other than accidental damage (windscreen, tyres & aeriels etc) or damages caused to to misuse : unfair use of the vehicle.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
VW Service Plan with Maintenance shows 'any maintenance or repairs to or resulting from diesel particulate filtration systems or catalystic reduction systems are excluded'.

If your maintenance plan shows something different I would pursue it with VW Finance again.

Roblog

I have heard of a few differential pressure switches failing and giving similar symptoms?

Thanks all - did take it out for a long run (40 mins solid @ 3k RPM) but no joy of a manual regen.

Stealers have suggested that I stop driving it and take it in. I (the company) will fork out £160 for the force regen but I have a feeling that this won't sort, given that I don't fit the majority of cases which clog-up due to small runs / start / stop.

Will report back....how this doesn't fall into their maintenance package / warranty is beyond me. No wonder watchdog have already done a piece on this.

Roblog

Quick update - car still to go in next week but in the meantime ran a home-diagnostic.

VAG Error Code: 008817/2944
EOBD II Error Code: P2271

Fault Location:
Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 2 (G130), Bank 1 - Too Rich

Possible Cause:

Wiring / connectors
Oxygen Lambda sensor
Fuel pressure
Injectors
Air intake

Possible solutions:

Check all wiring / connectors
Read measuring value blocks
Check / replace oxygen Lambda sensor 2

So I call VW back explaining my findings and that this error has been solved on numerous occasions previously by simply replacing the O2 sensors.

Their reply is that VW still tell them that the first port of call is a force regen on the DPF, which obviously falls outside of warranty.

They have now said however that if the force regen doesn't work, I'll get my money back for it which gives me some confidence.

Can anyone with a more in-depth knowledge comment on whether this is a reasonable action to take for them? Or are they taking the Michael?

Ta

R

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Sorry to be the bearer of what may be bad news.
I had a very similar same last year. Albeit with much lower miles.
Orange engine light. No loss of performance or drive ability. But noticed no attempted regen's.
VW Wigan changed the EGR. Fault returned more or less straight away. They then changed the DPF, and all has been well since.
They said something about the dodgy EGR messed things up and led to the DPF needing replacing.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I have had major problems with my DPF, amongst other things. I'll put a detailed post up soon when I get time as it's been one thing after another recently (mystery coolant loss, limp mode under full throttle, exhaust sensor failure etc) but basically I've had the DPF and EGR removed (which was also leaking but hasn't stopped the coolant loss) and replaced the downpipe. I also had a huge intake fitted, which has now come off as it seemed to be responsible for some of the issues.

Anyway let's just say the car is ... quite loud. You can see a video of it here:

https://www.facebook.com/ecotechperformance/

I'm taking it in to a place to get a silencer fitted soon as it's just too much at the moment.