GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Longer is not always better. I found the Vibrant Ultra Quiet 12"to be better for flow and resonating. BBE Timber Cylinder also a decent unit. I have built a custom valvetronic setup that has true zero drone and I have no resonators just 1 muffler. When opened its a straight pipe setup; so all business when closed and a block party when it's open. I'm just not a fan on the 17950 resonator either.

https://goo.gl/images/n9nuMQ

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Hey Jake, I bought a USP catted dp that had a resonator added onto. I believe it’s a 12” vibrant. I have the stock cat back and there is no drone and it is louder than stock.

I would like to simply and just run your suggested 17930 for the only resonator but I’m concerned taking out the oem resonator will make the car a lot louder.

Thoughts? TIA

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Everyone who's installed just the 17930 in place of the stock unit reported it was slightly quiter afterwards. Further up in this thread there's a few reviews of it

All resonators are straight through by design, so flow will be the same, just perceived volume will be deeper, lower, and less raspy with the larger Vibrant. I haven't done a dB test on any of these but going by reviews it's slightly quiter

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Originally I was going to have an exhaust fabbed up with a rev9 DP. The plan was to add a magnaflow cat and use a vibrant 17950 and the Borla muffler you suggested, Jake.

However, the only decent shop in this area that would be willing to do it wanted to charge so much we are in name brand price territory.

With that information in hand I started changing plans a little bit, and I also finally heard sound clips from a MAP catted downpipe mated to an AWE track catback (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7aWF9J0SBI), and enjoyed how it sounded.

And now it is currently the route I am looking into. That said, I'd like to eliminate any possibility of having drone.

So that leaves me with two options:
  1. MAP downpipe + AWE Track and have a Vibrant 17950 welded in
  2. MAP downpipe + AWE Touring

The difference in price is small, AWE Track with a 17950 is $890 and the AWE Touring is $918. Which do you think would end up being better in the long run?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Originally I was going to have an exhaust fabbed up with a rev9 DP. The plan was to add a magnaflow cat and use a vibrant 17950 and the Borla muffler you suggested, Jake.

However, the only decent shop in this area that would be willing to do it wanted to charge so much we are in name brand price territory.

With that information in hand I started changing plans a little bit, and I also finally heard sound clips from a MAP catted downpipe mated to an AWE track catback (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7aWF9J0SBI), and enjoyed how it sounded.

And now it is currently the route I am looking into. That said, I'd like to eliminate any possibility of having drone.

So that leaves me with two options:
  1. MAP downpipe + AWE Track and have a Vibrant 17950 welded in
  2. MAP downpipe + AWE Touring

The difference in price is small, AWE Track with a 17950 is $890 and the AWE Touring is $918. Which do you think would end up being better in the long run?

End result would be almost identical provided whoever welds on the 17950 does a good job.

I'm tempted to buy a few Rev 9 dp to add a cat and sell lol it's an hour job taking your time (I added a Flowmaster cat to my cts dp)

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Everyone who's installed just the 17930 in place of the stock unit reported it was slightly quiter afterwards. Further up in this thread there's a few reviews of it

All resonators are straight through by design, so flow will be the same, just perceived volume will be deeper, lower, and less raspy with the larger Vibrant. I haven't done a dB test on any of these but going by reviews it's slightly quiter

Makes sense, but there is still the other vibrant in there quieting things down in my case.

So it would be safe to say I would gain volume by removing two and adding the 17930.

The biggest thing I noticed on other cars are the light to medium throttle dsg shifts that sound very ricey to me. That’s what I’m afraid I’ll gain from it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
two resonators don't really double the effects of having one so if it is any louder it'll be minimal.

I don't have DSG so I can't say for sure, but I think the stock muffler keeps DSG farts in check pretty well. I built a muffler delete for an otherwise stock exhaust apr stage 1 DSG car and the farts are the loudest noise it makes by far

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
That’s really good to know.

I did make a straight pipe taking out the vibrant resonator and that sounded like crap to me. That’s really the only reason I’m paranoid now.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Update: changed my AWE DP to non-resonated. The TT mod scene is dead so I’ll post sound clips here until the moderators complain. Thanks Jake.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Resonator and muffler placements matter. Sticking a long resonator and thinking it cures drone is dumbing the process of really achieving the frequency and sound you want. Hard to keep up with the wagon of just throwing a 18" resonator on mentality for the past 300 posts but getting a kick of watching 17950 fly off the shelf.

12" Vibrant UQ resonator is best in every way over the 18" bottle resonator.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Resonator and muffler placements matter. Sticking a long resonator and thinking it cures drone is dumbing the process of really achieving the frequency and sound you want. Hard to keep up with the wagon of just throwing a 18" resonator on mentality for the past 300 posts but getting a kick of watching 17950 fly off the shelf.

12" Vibrant UQ resonator is best in every way over the 18" bottle resonator.

So what do you suggest then if the 18” isn’t a good solution? I agree my aftermarket resonator and stock resonator is overkill and there has to be a simpler way of doing things to keep a near stock sound with a catted dp.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This is my experience. My design goals were to be stock quite with no drone so I could run stage 2. For me, removing the stock resonator the overall volume would be unacceptable. The stock “resonator” functions as a muffler as it reduces volume across the audible spectrum. The resonator needs to be as far up the chain as possible as sound will ring off of the pipe forward of resonator. Since the drone of my existing Revo downpipe was unacceptable and there is insufficient room to weld a 18” resonator between the catalytic convertor and the stock “resonator”, I sold the Revo downpipe and purchased an Ultimate Racing catted downpipe which included the 12” UQ resonator. It is close to size of 17950 (15% smaller by volume (275 in3 to 236 in3). Being smaller not sure if that makes it better in every way, but it was better for me as I could keep my "resonator" keeping overall volume down while reducing drone to acceptable level. It worked well as it is quiet and sufficiently managed drone. That is how I got the “sound I want.”

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
This is my experience. My design goals were to be stock quite with no drone so I could run stage 2. For me, removing the stock resonator the overall volume would be unacceptable. The stock “resonator” functions as a muffler as it reduces volume across the audible spectrum. The resonator needs to be as far up the chain as possible as sound will ring off of the pipe forward of resonator. Since the drone of my existing Revo downpipe was unacceptable and there is insufficient room to weld a 18” resonator between the catalytic convertor and the stock “resonator”, I sold the Revo downpipe and purchased an Ultimate Racing catted downpipe which included the 12” UQ resonator. It is close to size of 17950 (15% smaller by volume (275 in3 to 236 in3). Being smaller not sure if that makes it better in every way, but it was better for me as I could keep my "resonator" keeping overall volume down while reducing drone to acceptable level. It worked well as it is quiet and sufficiently managed drone. That is how I got the “sound I want.”

Thanks that helps. To me my car sounds stock with anything besides WOT and like you nothing more is acceptable to me. But every time I’m under the car and see my resonator and the oem unit I shake my head that it takes that much to keep it quiet, not to mention stock muffler.

I wanted to explore the possibility of the 17930 replacing both.