GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 Reliability?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I personally think stage 1 to stage 2 should not yield any differences in problems since you are on DSG. For Manual Drivers the main issue is the clutch but you do not have to worry about that :)

Let us know what the VW APR dealer says, or PM and I can share my experience more in details with you :)

captainmorgan92

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had my APR stage 2 for 10,000 miles with absolutely ZERO issues. My clutch is still holding strong as well, although I don't romp on my car all that much compared to some!

Mike Ralph

Ready to race!
I have had my APR stage 2 for 10,000 miles with absolutely ZERO issues. My clutch is still holding strong as well, although I don't romp on my car all that much compared to some!

I take it you are 6mt? I have been wanting to tune so bad but the clutch is holding me back... I feel I'm the same as you, 95% of the time is just granny driving, with spirited driving when I'm with friends. I don't understand how people slip them so easily....

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I just had the APR downpipe and Stage 2 put on my car today and about 30 minutes in I got a check engine code P013E (O2 sensor delayed response - Rich to Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2) has anyone else ran into this problem and any solutions?

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI

I'm glad to hear that! I just got it done today hopefully I just get that engine code resolved! Haha

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Where did you end up getting the tune from? If at the VW dealer they should troubleshoot the issue for free

I got it done at GRDTuned it's a APR shop around me. I have them a call yesterday after and the guy said he will put me in contact with a dealer they work together with to get the sensor replaced under warranty.

nodotmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
How was your experience with GRD? I was previously using the dealership for my stage 1 & 2 but am tired of being ripped off and wanted to find someone else in the Chicago area for future tunes/upgrades. I was planning on going stage 3 this summer and APR suggested these guys for the job. Planning on doing the TCU tune next week with them.

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
How was your experience with GRD? I was previously using the dealership for my stage 1 & 2 but am tired of being ripped off and wanted to find someone else in the Chicago area for future tunes/upgrades. I was planning on going stage 3 this summer and APR suggested these guys for the job. Planning on doing the TCU tune next week with them.

I love going to GRD I found them to be the most fair and honest shop and they don't over charge. I always speak to Adrain there and the mechanic knows wayyyyy too much about cars. He will be able to find problems within minutes when other dealers take days and still can't find it. I know that GRD is the APR supplier for all the dealers in Illinois.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Like you have to be doing some stupid ass driving to slip the clutch with 5k on it and stock software..

Some GTI's have a rear main seal leak, which gets fluid onto the clutch mechanism, which can cause early failures and issues. Few threads indicating the clutch issues with the RMS.

Earlier build date cars seem to have less issues then later build dates in terms of clutch holding capability. One theory is that a clutch supplier was changed and since then, the cars have issues holding more then 40-50 ft/lbs more then stock.

No amount of perfect driving can erase the fact that the majority of clutch assemblies in the GTI and R are not designed to handle much more power then stock. Even if yours does not slip immediately, (or in a time span which warrants posting that your car is fine), you can be assured you will be forced to replace it far sooner then if you had kept it at stock power levels.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
No amount of perfect driving can erase the fact that the majority of clutch assemblies in the GTI and R are not designed to handle much more power then stock. Even if yours does not slip immediately, (or in a time span which warrants posting that your car is fine), you can be assured you will be forced to replace it far sooner then if you had kept it at stock power levels.

Hi greggles. Read a few of your posts on this subject. Appreciate your input. What's your experience and opinion on how capable and reliable the DSG is with more power added?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
But aren't most necessary repairs for blown engines and what not usually cost way less?

I think i've heard some people claim $3k job for blown engine due to blown turbo.
I can tell you right now a brand new out of the box engine for your car from VW will cost more than that. Hopefully you never get to find out though!

These guys said it right, the tune isn't what breaks things, it just finds things. The one piston that was machined wrong because of insert wear, or the one ring that just didn't mate with the cylinder wall the the same as the others did. It will find those things, and make them show their ugly faces.

jzra

I have APR stage 2 for more than 31.000 miles (my car has 45.000 miles at this time). Before APR stage 2 I was using APR stage 1. No problems so far.

jtb2831

I love going to GRD I found them to be the most fair and honest shop and they don't over charge. I always speak to Adrain there and the mechanic knows wayyyyy too much about cars. He will be able to find problems within minutes when other dealers take days and still can't find it. I know that GRD is the APR supplier for all the dealers in Illinois.

Did you get the issue with the O2 sensor figured out? I am planning on going to GRD this week to go Stage 2. How has everything been so far?