GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Great Tune debate

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I disagree, the jb is just a piggyback, not a actual tuner. I thought Ed could reset the flash counter back when going back to stock? From the rumors I've heard.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Over the years I have had APR and GIAC in many different flavours across several different platforms. I personally think that with the TD1 flag warranty issues you cannot get a better solution than the JB4 currently. I'm sure with my e30 mixology, a custom Map6 and a $150 Circuit Werks catted DP that I'm pushing over 300hp to the wheels with plenty of torque to go with it.

Back when the GTI first went forced induction - the tuners were much more generous and we were able to transfer some of the tunes to newer platforms. They were also considerably less back then.

I like the fact that my JB4 is:

- upgradable by me
- has phenomenal support both by BMS and its user base
- can be re-sold with minimal $ loss
- can be removed and vehicle returned to stock
- is tunable!

$ for $ - it's a very compelling package. Call it a hack if you'd like but there's just as many established tuners that are selling "schlock" with very little appreciable gains over the JB4 and an identical if not worse mechanical failure rate due to grenading turbos/engines.

I agree with JB4 keeping your warranty in tack, but soon I'll be out of warranty, and it'll be a bit before looking at tunes and i"m not looking to go crazy with it. Just an option for using 91 or 93 would be nice. Suspension will be my first update followed by my clutch. Well that Magic inter cooler looks great for the price of 320 dollars. Also a problem is JB4 doesn't get rid of the speed limiter.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
On ethanol content, are you referring to normal pump gas with 10% ethanol, or a higher percentage?
Pump gas vs E30+.

So Basically I should go with a custom tune after all the mods are on the car. So after the IC, DP or full exhaust, and CAI. Run the base ED tune then after having some logs get a custom tune to optimize based on the mods I have. Correct?
You don't need to. If you want to go as fast as possible, Cobb Protune or Maestro are your choices.

I tried to explain this four pages back but was blasted for it. It doesn't work that way with these cars. The ecu adapts quickly and creates targets that are optimized in real time for whatever bolt on you choose to change. However the tune allows it to be ran with more efficiency. The custom tunes aren't just for specific mod combinations. Unless you're running ethanol, meth or wanting to do some weird timing stuff the canned tunes will be fine.
I get what you are trying to say, and it is mostly correct. The car however makes more power when it isn't pulling large amounts of timing. The ECU will pull twice as much timing as the event it logged (if it sees an event due to 1* too much timing, it will pull 2*). It isn't efficient to run a high octane map and just expect it to "adapt". In general however, 91 to 94 octane OTS files will all maximize performance. They all have inherent limiters however that do not allow them to compete with the custom files. There is a reason that APR IS38 6MT's are 4-6mph slower than my car with similar mods (and the APR tune is solid).

How about Ed adjustable file, doesn't that help with higher ethanol?
It does, but the car is limited by torque request and boost. The minimum timing tables in the base file do not force higher timing in some instances where it is available.

Remember when your Eurodyne "protuner" tried to melt your block? I member.

Rule of thumb for any protune is so learn what to look for and address concerns with your tuner. If the person tuning your car is not receptive to your feedback then find a new tuner.

Datalogs from OTS tunes are a good way to learn what to look for.

Great advice.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking at getting a new daily, I think a few guys I know would shoot me if I got another MK7 but the used prices are looking good to me.

Anyway, JB4 is fine if you keep the stock DP, with an aftermarket DP fuel trims get kinda wacky, pretty sure I did actually damage my engine with my JB1 and FBO combo from running so lean.

Unless George fixed that finally, then carry on.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Pump gas vs E30+.

You don't need to. If you want to go as fast as possible, Cobb Protune or Maestro are your choices.

I get what you are trying to say, and it is mostly correct. The car however makes more power when it isn't pulling large amounts of timing. The ECU will pull twice as much timing as the event it logged (if it sees an event due to 1* too much timing, it will pull 2*). It isn't efficient to run a high octane map and just expect it to "adapt". In general however, 91 to 94 octane OTS files will all maximize performance. They all have inherent limiters however that do not allow them to compete with the custom files. There is a reason that APR IS38 6MT's are 4-6mph slower than my car with similar mods (and the APR tune is solid).

It does, but the car is limited by torque request and boost. The minimum timing tables in the base file do not force higher timing in some instances where it is available.

Great advice.

I'm not talking about canned tunes being able to put down more power than properly logged and made maps. I'm saying the op was under the misinterpretation that custom tunes are the only way to tune with specific bolt on configurations.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Remember when your Eurodyne "protuner" tried to melt your block? I member.

Rule of thumb for any protune is so learn what to look for and address concerns with your tuner. If the person tuning your car is not receptive to your feedback then find a new tuner.

Datalogs from OTS tunes are a good way to learn what to look for.
Lol yeah same tune that was beating stg2 mk7 gti so it was worth it for the scare.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I agree with JB4 keeping your warranty in tack, but soon I'll be out of warranty, and it'll be a bit before looking at tunes and i"m not looking to go crazy with it. Just an option for using 91 or 93 would be nice. Suspension will be my first update followed by my clutch. Well that Magic inter cooler looks great for the price of 320 dollars. Also a problem is JB4 doesn't get rid of the speed limiter.

Sounds like you want a Cobb accessport. 91 and 93 files for various stages that you can flash quickly and on your own with removed speed limiter. Where in PA are you? Once it warms up a bit, there's a couple MK7 guys that go to the Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee, all running different set ups that you can check out.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm looking at getting a new daily, I think a few guys I know would shoot me if I got another MK7 but the used prices are looking good to me.

Anyway, JB4 is fine if you keep the stock DP, with an aftermarket DP fuel trims get kinda wacky, pretty sure I did actually damage my engine with my JB1 and FBO combo from running so lean.

You've been gone too long, brother.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1502840894?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-14-18

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Sounds like you want a Cobb accessport. 91 and 93 files for various stages that you can flash quickly and on your own with removed speed limiter. Where in PA are you? Once it warms up a bit, there's a couple MK7 guys that go to the Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee, all running different set ups that you can check out.

The only reason to go Cobb is for 5150 et al.

If you want to run OTS/have future ability, you go Maestro. Cobb OTS is bad.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

oh yay I've read up about Lehigh Valley Cars and Coffee. I'm about 25 minutes south of Allentown. That would be great to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I'm not talking about canned tunes being able to put down more power than properly logged and made maps. I'm saying the op was under the misinterpretation that custom tunes are the only way to tune with specific bolt on configurations.

That is what I was thinking, but I've gained much clarity on this subject.. Thanks guys!!!:D

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

I probably count as one of those guys that would shoot you, but yep. Same shit happened to me. Fuel trims were way off post DP install. Codes for days.