GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Install Questions

abrad2912

Thanks for the pictures. After talking to a couple dealer techs and vendors that sell and install clutches, I think I am going to pull the bevel box and leave the subframe in place.

If you watch videos for the GTI with the pp lsd, it is similar to the bevel box minus the rear drive shaft. This would also prevent me from worrying about getting the subframe lined up correctly and save me from buying more stretch bolts.

HStuning sells a bolt kit for transmission installs.I emailed them and they said they leave the subframe alone and only use that bolt kit in their shop, which includes bolts for the bevel box or pp lsd. Either way will work and get the job done. Just depends on what method you would like to take. Still trying to decide when I want to tackle this.

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys , what the hell is this? I found it laying on my garage floor and i dont even remember taking it off the car:

Is it from my car? Lol

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Looks like it might be the center prong thingy from the oil filter housing cap. Some are two piece, some one piece. (I can't be sure, since mine is on the car and I'm not going to take it off to check.)

Had you recently done an oil change at home?

Neil

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope . I actually think its not from my car. Maybe previous owner of the garage forgot it there. Thanks for help.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
took me about 11 hours and thats using a lift, no transmission stand. One thing i regret not doing was changing the rear main seal while i was in there...hitting myself on the head everyday :(

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
And is it one of those jobs that would take a third less time if you had to do it again tomorrow?

Neil

most definitely a lot less time, especially if i had the right equipment, but i'll still dedicate a minimum of at least 6-8 hours. The most difficult part in the job was supporting the gearbox underneath with my hands while trying to line it up for my buddy to catch the bolts.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
most definitely a lot less time, especially if i had the right equipment, but i'll still dedicate a minimum of at least 6-8 hours. The most difficult part in the job was supporting the gearbox underneath with my hands while trying to line it up for my buddy to catch the bolts.

Why I wrote this:

I make a couple of alignment studs by cutting the heads off of long M12 bolts (~3") and slotting the ends. These screw into the engine in place of a couple of the stock bolts, and serve to support the trans weight during removal and to align it on replacement.

And I use an inexpensive transmission jack (Harbor Freight).

:)

Neil

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
Why I wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCM View Post
I make a couple of alignment studs by cutting the heads off of long M12 bolts (~3") and slotting the ends. These screw into the engine in place of a couple of the stock bolts, and serve to support the trans weight during removal and to align it on replacement.

And I use an inexpensive transmission jack (Harbor Freight).

:)

Neil

did not think of that but its a great idea considering I replaced all the stretch bolts, i could have easily used the old ones for this exact purpose....well thanks for this, will give it a go next time around as i'm sure i will be tackling this again in the future.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
did not think of that but its a great idea considering I replaced all the stretch bolts, i could have easily used the old ones for this exact purpose....well thanks for this, will give it a go next time around as i'm sure i will be tackling this again in the future.

Wish I could claim to have invented this idea, but it was passed on to me by a friend who used to build and rebuild dragster engines.

Neil

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, ive got to test drive the new clutch today. Everything was fine for the first 50km then i noticed some weird whinning sound when the clutch pedal was pressed. And the pedal is slightly pulsating too. The noise disappears when the clutch pedal is up. Im so frustrated right now. What do you guys think that is? Should i keep bedding it in or take it back apart ? I recorded the noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwGrNPJ_340 you can hear the noise at 00:25 and 1:43. To me it sounds like release bearing... but i ve put brand new one in.

Last edited: