GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr Stage 1h requires a new clutch?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
i just don't understand why the majority of people are having slip shortly after getting a tune.

It's as simple as this:

There is variables from car to car.

I'm one of the lucky ones who got a Jan 2015 build date car, aka before they switched clutch manufacturers (which is, i'm pretty sure, just speculation). So i'm one of the people who'd likely be able to go at least 30K without *requiring* a replacement clutch on a tune. That said, i've been at stock power for 15 of the 24k miles i've put on my car, and the 9k that weren't stock were JB1 @ 4.8 Map 1.

defcon5

Ready to race!
you guys realize the stock clutch slipping with stage 1 is an ongoing problem beginning with the MK5 and continuing with the MK6 and MK7? Its a 10 year old problem and not the result of a supplier change in 2015.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
you guys realize the stock clutch slipping with stage 1 is an ongoing problem beginning with the MK5 and continuing with the MK6 and MK7? Its a 10 year old problem and not the result of a supplier change in 2015.

You make a good point, but we're talking about MK7's. The early build date NAR MK7's had very robust clutches from the factory that handled stage 1 far better than the post winter 2015 build date cars.

Ultimately this isn't a "10 year old problem," bc that seems to imply that VW has been making shitty clutches for the last 3 generations of GTIs. Which simply isnt true. The thing is that essentially no other cars on the market gain so much on a tune bc the manufacturer maxes out the performance from the factory, where VW is more conservative

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Some early build date cars have unicorn clutches. At a certain build date, a clutch supplier was most likely changed (theory, not proven), and since then, it has been an utter and complete crapshoot whether a car will slip or not with even minor power increases.

Plan for a clutch replacement, and be assured that even the 2015 GTI, is going to have to replace their clutch much sooner then if they had never tuned. It's really just a matter of time with these cars. (if it doesn't slip right away)

My '15 was an early build (bought in Sep '14) and I ran the stock clutch through 3 autoX and hillclimb race seasons, and numerous track days with FBO APR Stage 2 HO tune. Never had a problem with the clutch. Not once. Solid as f***. Now the 1-2 shift fork is another story...

And after reading about all the failing clutches, I knew either a) your grandma drives clutch better than you, or b) there was a supplier/part change to a cheaper solution at some point. My car was a unicorn.

And I traded it in at 49K mi for a '17 Sport. The PP is amazing compared to the non PP btw...

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
2015 clutches are outliers in the "will my clutch slip". You get engine destruction possibilities, but get a better pressure plate (depending on your 2015 build date). After a certain date, it all goes to crap. There are stock R's slipping on the stock assembly. (basically same parts, just different #'s)