GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leaking at water pump

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Dealer called said it was leaking at the thermostat housing not the water pump. They said it should be covered by warranty.

I will share if any thing else comes of this

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Dealer called said it was leaking at the thermostat housing not the water pump. They said it should be covered by warranty.

I will share if any thing else comes of this

I feel like no matter what the car, over the years this is always a thing. Leaking at the thermostat. Luckily it should be an easy fix.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I have been reading some instances of coolant leak around the T-stat housing. Most likely a batch that incorrectly assembled or a faulty gasket.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
So dealer replaced:
Water pump
Thermostat housing
Union
And i guess I'll count this as a coolant flush

All under warranty. Dash cam caught some interesting clips (nothing bad) i was surprised they left it connected

Batman3000

I am wondering if this is what is happening to my car. I have a 2015 Golf R, when I took off the engine skid plate and found some coolant. I had to fill it a few days ago. I left the plate off and let the car run for a few minutes. only see a very small amount pooling on the bottom of the oil pan. I have only had the car for 4 months so I am not family with everything. Any advice will be appreciated.

SRoads

Ready to race!
I am wondering if this is what is happening to my car. I have a 2015 Golf R, when I took off the engine skid plate and found some coolant. I had to fill it a few days ago. I left the plate off and let the car run for a few minutes. only see a very small amount pooling on the bottom of the oil pan. I have only had the car for 4 months so I am not family with everything. Any advice will be appreciated.

sounds like it....drips from the front of the engine?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yeah took jb4 off. I had it dialed in pretty good and driving it stock was sad... Then the dealer gave me a jetta...

Will keep you all posted what they come back to me with. Mechanical stuff brakes im just glad i look over my car alot and caught it before something worse happened.

Definitely a small leak as my coolant level didn't drop at all on a 30 min drive but i could tell the coolant was getting cooked on the engine from the smell.

Just here to give back to the forum that I've taken so much from

Install the JB4?

Martin398

Ready to race!
I recently brought my '16 MT in for a coolant leak at the thermostat housing. It was covered under warranty. I had lost about from the full to fill line in my coolant overflow over the last few months. Had checked for leaks on the tray but never saw anything. Then a leak showed up and when I put my car on a lift I found a trail of baked on coolant from the thermostat housing.

Short of it, VW warrantied and fixed the issue. They had told me they replaced the seal at the bottom of the housing twice, as the first time it still leaked. Been almost 2 weeks and haven't seen anything on the drip tray. Interesting note, the dealership had the invoice that I signed (with actual dollar values on it) listing that they changed the entire housing. I know for a fact they didn't because they never even bothered to wash the old one they left in. As long as it doesn't leak I don't care. Just found that funny.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I recently brought my '16 MT in for a coolant leak at the thermostat housing. It was covered under warranty. I had lost about from the full to fill line in my coolant overflow over the last few months. Had checked for leaks on the tray but never saw anything. Then a leak showed up and when I put my car on a lift I found a trail of baked on coolant from the thermostat housing.

Short of it, VW warrantied and fixed the issue. They had told me they replaced the seal at the bottom of the housing twice, as the first time it still leaked. Been almost 2 weeks and haven't seen anything on the drip tray. Interesting note, the dealership had the invoice that I signed (with actual dollar values on it) listing that they changed the entire housing. I know for a fact they didn't because they never even bothered to wash the old one they left in. As long as it doesn't leak I don't care. Just found that funny.
If it's a part that volkswagen has to warranty/replace then that dealer is in for a world of hurt when warranty audits come around to check on their dealership.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Same thing happened to mine including it leaking right after requiring the dealer to redo it. Now 6 months later I think it still leaks as I smell/lose coolant but not sure if its from the same place.