GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VTT Cast Stage 2 turbocharger breaks 500WHP!

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Update on the track, again no dice. Got halfway to the track it was 40+ MPH winds, I decided to call the track. Test and tune was canceled due to said winds, turned around, and went home. We will try again next time they open on Dec 31st.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
LOL at flat boost request causing timing retard...:) You should let Terry, or George know to remove the flat boost button, as its going to cause timing pulls...;)

You should try a little harder to explain why I was wrong and answer the technical questions of the poster that I quoted instead of lol'ing your way to an additional example of why you should stick to turbo design and not community interaction.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
You should try a little harder to explain why I was wrong and answer the technical questions of the poster that I quoted instead of lol'ing your way to an additional example of why you should stick to turbo design and not community interaction.
A ramping boost target has nothing do with timing pulls, that is simply the ECU seeing possible knock due to the octane limit. During spool, you could request 45 psi if you wanted to, then drop it down to the actual boost you want where it will actually reach it. Requesting high boost in the RPM range where the turbo cannot possibly meet is does nothing but ensure the WGDC is 100% to aid in spool up.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
See that wasn't so hard. Thank you for the explanation.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Tony, what’s the word on the fuel pumps? I can’t seem to find the link that you had previously posted for their website. Any idea on when they would be shipping them out if we bought them with the your turbo?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Is this in full production and be ordered?

Edit : nvm just saw 2018

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

henraldp

@Vargasturbotech, hopefully you have some time to take a look at my questions as they are currently what will help me feel confident in buying your product when available.

@Vargasturbotech, I'm nearly convinced that JB4+downpipe+this turbo is a good option for the 350/350 power level, possibly reducing wheelspin (from the torque spike of OEM baby turbos), and holding boost and power to redline.

Referring to the 350/350 power level:

1. All testing mentioned in this thread is the stage 2 turbo, not the stage 2+, correct?
  2. In this log you posted, do you know why boost pressure hits 22psi initially but needs another 800rpm to gradually increase to 25psi, the target? Is this a stock ECU thing, JB4 thing, or wastegate/regulation thing?
  3. IDC - In the same log, why would injector duty cycle spike from 61 to 78 then reduce back down? The AFR remains consistent, and it doesn't correlate with the engine output (max torque is at 3,500rpm but this IDC spike is around 4,500rpm).
  4. AFR - In my personal logs using an is20+JB4, I see ~13.1:1 AFR @ 4,000rpm reducing gradually to ~12.0:1 @5,500pm. In your log, it looks like ~13.0:1 leaning to 13.8:1 at those same RPMs. Was this done intentionally for power? I assume since duty cycle isn't maxed, it's not a hardware problem.
  5. Trims - These don't rise to increase fueling at high RPM. Intentional while tuning?
  6. If IDC only hits 78%, what is the main reason this power level is your recommendable maximum for stock fueling, including in-tank pump?
  7. If not aiming for 500whp, did you like the car at 350/350 as a long term solution on 91oct with just downpipe, JB4, and this unit? Any concerns?
Good luck with upcoming track times. Do you have an email alert through the website for when the introductory price is available?

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
@Vargasturbotech, I'm nearly convinced that JB4+downpipe+this turbo is a good option for the 350/350 power level, possibly reducing wheelspin (from the torque spike of OEM baby turbos), and holding boost and power to redline.

Referring to the 350/350 power level:

1. All testing mentioned in this thread is the stage 2 turbo, not the stage 2+, correct?
  2. In this log you posted, do you know why boost pressure hits 22psi initially but needs another 800rpm to gradually increase to 25psi, the target? Is this a stock ECU thing, JB4 thing, or wastegate/regulation thing?
  3. IDC - In the same log, why would injector duty cycle spike from 61 to 78 then reduce back down? The AFR remains consistent, and it doesn't correlate with the engine output (max torque is at 3,500rpm but this IDC spike is around 4,500rpm).
  4. AFR - In my personal logs using an is20+JB4, I see ~13.1:1 AFR @ 4,000rpm reducing gradually to ~12.0:1 @5,500pm. In your log, it looks like ~13.0:1 leaning to 13.8:1 at those same RPMs. Was this done intentionally for power? I assume since duty cycle isn't maxed, it's not a hardware problem.
  5. Trims - These don't rise to increase fueling at high RPM. Intentional while tuning?
  6. If IDC only hits 78%, what is the main reason this power level is your recommendable maximum for stock fueling, including in-tank pump?
  7. If not aiming for 500whp, did you like the car at 350/350 as a long-term solution on 91oct with just downpipe, JB4, and this unit? Any concerns?
Good luck with upcoming track times. Do you have an email alert through the website for when the introductory price is available?
Stage 2 is the turbo used. You are asking tune questions when we had no tune. Stock ECU flash, Stock DSG flash. Wired a JB4 into the car put it on map 6, and set boost where we wanted it, that's it, nothing else. Whatever was happening in the logs is based on what the JB4 was telling the ECU, we had no control over it at all. The AFR's were not ideal, but we were seeing how much we could get out of the stock fuel system with an LPFP only. We are more comfortable on E85 in the 12.5 range.

As for 350/350 should be no problem with the turbo, and mods you suggested, but expect to be the octane limited, and should limit boost accordingly

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
@Vargasturbotech, hopefully you have some time to take a look at my questions as they are currently what will help me feel confident in buying your product when available.
The questions asked were tuning questions, with little relation to turbo operation. Honestly questions like that should be answered by a tuner, which we are not. We are the hardware manufacturer. I did my best to answer them, but all we had done to the car that point is a JB4, and LPFP. No custom tuning at all, whatever was in the logs, is what is in them based on the Jb4, with no manipulation by us.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Stating that you had no tune is misleading. You altered the inputs to the ECU which changes the output values, that is the same effect as going in and changing look up table values so that a 'standard' input produces a different than factory output. The end result in either case is control commands to the engine have been modified from how the vehicle was delivered from the factory.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Stating that you had no tune is misleading. You altered the inputs to the ECU which changes the output values, that is the same effect as going in and changing the look up table values so that a 'standard' input produces a different than factory output. The end results, in either case, is control commands to the engine have been modified from how the vehicle was delivered from the factory.
I will say it again. We are turbo hardware manufactures, not tuners. Tune questions, we will do our best to answer, but they are best left to the tuners, who are experts at what they are seeing. If you have JB4 tune questions, George is active here, tag him, and I am sure he can lend his insight. If you have turbo questions, we would be happy to answer them as that is our wheel house.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Tony, what’s the word on the fuel pumps? I can’t seem to find the link that you had previously posted for their website. Any idea on when they would be shipping them out if we bought them with the your turbo?
I saw an early version of the PFS website a few days ago. They are adding products and getting it ready for a big release in January. They want all products in stock before opening up for business. Not much longer!

Screen grab from the home page as they work on the site. VAG products will be added before release. They have a lot of cool stuff cooking...

Attachments

• Tease.JPG
    Tease.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 342

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I saw an early version of the PFS website a few days ago. They are adding products and getting it ready for a big release in January. They want all products in stock before opening up for business. Not much longer!

Screen grab from the home page as they work on the site. VAG products will be added before release. They have a lot of cool stuff cooking...

Thanks Tony!