GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discussing LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition)

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Too add more context, here's a compilation I call, "Big Boost". It's a 4 min. window highlighting high boost numbers at relatively low rmps.

Note: DSG D-mode gear kick-down does happen at 80%+ throttle input at times, but other times it appears that unintended modulation of the throttle position allows getting deep into boost in higher gear. It can boost in the high 30s psi under 3k rpm, and even 33 psi boost at 2100 rpm (16:14).

http://www.datazap.me/u/crudulous/big-boost?log=0&data=5-7

Attachments

• Big Boost.jpg
    Big Boost.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

nonbiodegradable weasel

Ready to race!
It's quite noticeable in the cabin. Just imagine someone sitting on the passenger seat flicking a metal sheet.
Mine does the same thing at low RPM, high gear, high load.

As an aside, I'm surprised that nobody has posted this yet. This screen is available in the "Think Blue. Trainer." screen if the car is stopped.

Attachments

• think_blue.gif
    think_blue.gif
    577.2 KB · Views: 583

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Did you ever experiment with different fuels/octanes? From your description, if they were available, one of the first things I would have tried would have been different brands of gas, ethanol mix, octane booster etc.
I've been giving this some thought. To stay consistent I've only used Mobil 91. Anyone found a better brand of gas for tuning (better detonation threshold)? Shell and Chevron are the first that come to mind.

Narako

i might have found a solution to our problems. Since our car likes to stay in high gear and we're basically trying to grab torque at low RPM. I been shifting down manually and so far my car hasn't knock once.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
The contributions in this thread have been great - the links, video, experiences. Everyone's car and environment is different, but we seemed to have touched on the common triggers such as fuel, heat, spark, and so on. I hope folks are finding some resolution here or elsewhere. And the answer may ultimately be in driving style as folks have been saying.

Having tuned, I'll say that I didn't anticipate the need to adapt how I drive (slow down, hoonigan). But that's on me for hearing a ShopDap video characterize APR as "aggressive" and not proceeding with more caution and knowledge. To better understand what I mean, one of the links shared earlier leads you to a recent post from arghx7, a respected company tuner summing up the low-rpm issue well:

"Keep the stock torque curve up to 2500-3000rpm. What I mean by this is, that's the LSPI danger zone. Crank up the boost at your own risk. It's not low end torque that does it, it's abnormal combustion events. You don't need to lay off the gas pedal. Just do it in software. It's silly to change driving. Just limit boost. Your tune should be idiot proof. By OEM standards if it allows you to do something dangerous to the engine then it's not done well."

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45008610
After spending time experimenting with the throttle and logging, I realized 2 primary dangers in my case: 1) relying on DSG S-mode and 2) slow build of pressure to achieve high rpm. My lower-rpm engine knock would occur under those 2 conditions I'd say 95% of the time.

So first, S-mode is a great tool for helping keep the rpm's higher. The caveat is S-mode can and will upshift into high 2k and low 3k while receiving high throttle input, and that's with a TCU tune. So what happens is after a symphany of high-rpm, it downshifts with the same throttle input and, oh-no, the dense knock.

Second, I found it also possible to generate the knock while giving 50% or less throttle input. So when you are in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th, you may try feeding power progressively to ease into the top half of the rpm range before really putting the hammer down (hey, some people like being thown back into the seat but not my cup of tea). Problem is, the combination of being in a slower moving gear and having OEM+ power boosting, it doesn't matter much that you're partial throttle - the pressure builds wildly and I would find the knock occur at 3500+ rpm in that gear. And in the same scenario, I would find that use of the a/c would criple it even further. So progressive inputs wasn't a reliable go-to technique.

What does this lead to? For me this thread and others has helped me see that good logging is an essential even with "safe" tunes. I find myself wishing more and more that I have knock retard ("KR") numbers along along with the environmental variables to establish the patterns for sure. So in a sense I'm back tracking.

Geez this post was long. If you're still reading, more power to you.

Happy motoring!

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
So is it pre-ignition or detonation?
LSPI isn't so much knock, as oops, your rod just exploded.

I wanted to better understand, and so With more reading I find ^ statement is ohhhhh so true. Here's something from Allen Cline in an article in Contact! Magainze# (also a GM engineer ;), more on that in a bit):

"...Remember, the spark plug ignites the mixture and a sharp pressure spike occurs after that, when the detonation occurs. That's what you hear. With pre-ignition, the ignition of the charge happens far ahead of the spark plug firing, in my example, very, very far ahead of it when the compression stroke just starts. There is no very rapid pressure spike like with detonation. Instead, it is a tremendous amount of pressure which is present for a very long dwell time, i.e., the entire compression stroke. That's what puts such large loads on the parts. There is no sharp pressure spike to resonate the block and the head to cause any noise. So you never hear it, the engine just blows up! That's why pre-ignition is so insidious. It is hardly detectable before it occurs. When it occurs you only know about it after the fact. It causes a catastrophic failure very quickly because the heat and pressures are so intense."​

This also debunks the other GM presenter ;) in a video linked in an earlier post in this thread (28:00~) where the presenter said their test looked for pre-ignition at peak compression, as if it is some normal occurrence they try to make happen less often. That doesn't fit the description of the catastrophic nature of LSPI and/or pre-ignition at all because it's detonation that's on the downstroke causing piston ringing. Again, the article:

"There is another factor that engineers look for to quantify combustion. It is called "location of peak pressure (LPP)." It is measured by an in-cylinder pressure transducer. Ideally, the LPP should occur at 14 degrees after top dead center. Depending on the chamber design and the burn rate, if one would initiate the spark at its optimum timing (20 degrees BTDC, for example) the burn would progress through the chamber and reach LPP, or peak pressure at 14 degrees after top dead center. LPP is a mechanical factor just as an engine is a mechanical device. The piston can only go up and down so fast. If you peak the pressure too soon or too late in the cycle, you won't have optimum work. Therefore, LPP is always 14 degrees ATDC for any engine."​

So how scary is engine knock then? The article:

"One thing to understand is that detonation is not necessarily destructive. Many engines run under light levels of detonation, even moderate levels. Some engines can sustain very long periods of heavy detonation without incurring any damage. If you've driven a car that has a lot of spark advance on the freeway, you'll hear it pinging. It can run that way for thousands and thousands of miles. Detonation is not necessarily destructive. It's not an optimum situation but it is not a guaranteed instant failure."​

So do we just ignore occasional engine knock?

I really enjoy these forums because you can read on builds where they are dialing out the knock for performance gains. Recap, knock=power loss due to knock sensor signaling for timing to calm down aka knock retard (KR) aka GTI converted to Corolla (used for educational purposes).

Did you ever experiment with different fuels/octanes? From your description, if they were available, one of the first things I would have tried would have been different brands of gas, ethanol mix, octane booster etc.

Man I love these forums! No, I have not ^ and I'm kicking myself for not doing that first along with the good knock logs. Oh, BTW, I'm finding out quick that OBD style logging is slow and just isn't cutting it. Going to have to tap into VCDS power at some point.

For kicks, Fifth Gear did a test on, well what do you know, another VW GTI... and found that brands do matter. I'm leaning toward Shell V 91 at the moment.

https://youtu.be/WTaBngvsPrc

#http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html

Attachments

• Ricer.jpg
    Ricer.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 629

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I came across an SAE article on ethanol blend use in gas turbo direct-injection (GTDI) engines in relation to LSPI. It's recent, published March this year. Full reference below. Since it's copyrighted and not publicly accessible, I'll just comment on it.

The tests were controlled on a 2L engine, singe-scroll turbo setup and resemble many modern GTDI cars. The pre-ignition and mega knock events were measured at 1600 rpm, 1.7 bar intake pressure, and spark timing set to MBT reached before detonation. Important to note is that the ECM used in the test removed LSPI mitigation control functions, so the data was raw enough you might say to make a better comparison of just fuel reactivity.

The results were that E20-E50 blended with base 91 octane fuel produced significantly more uncatostrophic preignition (occurred at rates of about 10 times more for E20, 15 times for E30, and 20 for E50) and E20-E30 produced the most violent levels of mega-knock (separate type of events but often related). Although E50 mix preignition levels were higher than E30, the higher ethanol E50 mix mitigated the critical mega-knock to a satisfactorily extent as concluded by the authors. This was said to be due to E50 higher levels of cooling-effect and octane rating.

What I took from all of it was that in and of itself, mid-levels of ethanol blend create substantial knock risks to the extent these are not managed properly within the ECM. Also, it's as important to mention that LSPI events as defined by the authors was shown to be virtually alleviated when high engine load occurs at or after 3000 rpm as shown/reported by OEM's, hence, more and more reason to not lug the motor in high gears.

http://papers.sae.org/2017-01-0687/

Haenel, P., Kleeberg, H., de Bruijn, R., and Tomazic, D., "Influence of Ethanol Blends on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged, Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,"*SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr.*10(1):95-105, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0687.

Edited to add rates of increase for each mix level.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Good find, I'll have to check out the full article when I get a moment.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
The tests were controlled on a 2L engine, singe-scroll turbo setup and resemble many modern GTDI cars. The pre-ignition and mega knock events were measured at 1600 rpm, 1.7 bar intake pressure, and spark timing set to MBT reached before detonation. Important to note is that the ECM used in the test removed LSPI mitigation control functions, so the data was raw enough you might say to make a better comparison of just fuel reactivity.

Sorry for the necro, but this is great information, Crud, thanks!

Do you know if it was 1.7 was total pressure, or over-ambient?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Sorry for the necro, but this is great information, Crud, thanks!

Do you know if it was 1.7 was total pressure, or over-ambient?
Thanks. Glad there's interest in the discussion.

It was "1.7bar intake pressure" measured closed loop. I searched but no mention of barometric pressure as a reference. Supposing it was sea level, this 2.0l turbo DI test engine saw around 10psi boost at -3 degrees timing throughout the fuel test. Interestingly the engine's peak power figures were 265ft-lb and 240hp, reminiscent of the GTI.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I really think these studies are extreme examples, of course helpful for those in the field.

I decided to review all my old data logs for boost and timing running the APR GTI 91 STG1 files, LO and HO, on ACN91 gas and the later logs after running E20 and E30 respective. Under load, like anything over 30% throttle, timing stays in the positive figures with the onset of boost and sustained boost. So not seeing anything like extreme boost and timing advance. With DSG, it's hard to see loading up a high gear unless done intentionally. So goes for manual.

Edit: Paying more attention to timing and boost under load lately and have noticed that for brief moments before DSG downshift, I will hit -3 degrees timing and +10 psi boost (after 13.6 psi barometric).

What this means it is possible for a preignition event to start in this common LSPI zone. Actually had it happen on the highway recently. Backing off the throttle squashed it and it was a batch of ethanol blend from a questionable gas station. And that's what sucks about E85 blending and road trips - gas comes from places you don't know well. If the ECU has adapted to more timing advance from your last batch, well, you're screwed to lesser or more degrees.

Last edited: