GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB1 Mods?

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I have a 2015 golf comfortline (SE) that doesn't have navi... that said, what (if any) mods are available for the MIB1 unit? From some reading that I have done there is the ability to activate mirror link but I haven't been able to determine if that's only the MIB1 Discovery pro version (navi). This is the top feature i'd love to have as it's the closest thing I can get to car play, otherwise i'd love to know what other cool features can be unlocked via vcds (or other software) tweaks

Last edited:

2.0Low

Passed Driver's Ed
Nah, I've gone down this route before. Nobody has successfully got Mirrorlink to work on the MIB1. There's a hidden menu that has an option to enable it, but nothing actually happens.

There's a few aftermarket options to add carplay, mirrorlink or nav though. If you want OEM, you can fork out couple grand and get the MIB2. There is also a kit available to install any aftermarket headunit.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Ah that sucks... Well guess I'm stuck with mib1 since I'm not crazy to spend 4 figures on car play... Nav is just added luxury, with car play and Google maps you essentially have nav anyways. Maybe if I find a smashed 2016 in a junkyard I might be lucky to pick one up for cheap but those are slim chances :)

2.0Low

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah that sucks... Well guess I'm stuck with mib1 since I'm not crazy to spend 4 figures on car play... Nav is just added luxury, with car play and Google maps you essentially have nav anyways. Maybe if I find a smashed 2016 in a junkyard I might be lucky to pick one up for cheap but those are slim chances :)

There's a thread or two on here about that. I've skimmed through some of it in the past. I imagine you could actually pick up a MIb2 pretty cheap. Last I read, it seemed like a hassle to get everything working but it's doable.

If you want just mirrorlink, search AVINusa MK7. It's a larger OEM-look screen that adds aftermarket nav and mirrorlink. They're expensive but I have seen them pop up on eBay.

If you want all the bells and whistles and a straightforward install, search Enfig MK7. It's a dash kit that allows you to install an aftermarket stereo. This is the route I went. Bought the kit and found a used stereo on kijiji. I've since gone back to stock and looking to trade or sell! Lol.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I have a 2015 golf comfortline (SE) that doesn't have navi... that said, what (if any) mods are available for the MIB1 unit? From some reading that I have done there is the ability to activate mirror link but I haven't been able to determine if that's only the MIB1 Discovery pro version (navi). This is the top feature i'd love to have as it's the closest thing I can get to car play, otherwise i'd love to know what other cool features can be unlocked via vcds (or other software) tweaks

if you have some unix knowledge and the right hardware, I can tell you how to change the graphics in the unit

Tsi7

Ready to race!
To be honest, just to add mirror link or car play is too much of a hassle, it's also an added luxury I could live without. Chillout, I don't have Unix knowledge but I'm willing to learn as long as I have the right tools to do so. You can PM me more details

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I'm wondering, what would happen if I buy a mib1 discovery pro headunit without the actual unit that goes inside the glovebox. Would it work? All I really want is mirrolink... I discovered the mirrorlink option in the mib1 unit I have now but everything has led me to a dead end and that it's not actually possible to use mirror link even with the option available in the unit

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Tbh, if you take some time and buy used parts, the mib2 is below a 4-figure install. The real pain in the ass is just swapping that mdi wire out with the necessary plugs for usb.

appreciate the info, but just for mirror link I can't justify the cost...maybe if i was adding a bunch of neat features but i'm only looking for that one specific thing

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Did you see my reply TSI7.

I actually missed it, that is an option however I want to try to keep anything I do to the car as OEM as possible (other then cosmetic stuff) since i'm still under warranty and don't want to wake up with surprises if something fails on the car and it's related to say the aftermarket head unit... also, doesn't that unit you provided in the link require an mib2 unit that's in the glovebox? how do the aftermarket ones work?

xeong5

It really isn't an aftermarket unit. It's an OEM VW China head unit, VCDS actually communicates with the stereo and can do some programming on it. There is no MIB2 unit in the glove box and no component protection. Plug and play for people with composition color.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
It really isn't an aftermarket unit. It's an OEM VW China head unit, VCDS actually communicates with the stereo and can do some programming on it. There is no MIB2 unit in the glove box and no component protection. Plug and play for people with composition color.

Really? Hmmm now you got me thinking, I will have to look into this some more, thanks for the info!