GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket projector headlight jitter?

zero10

Ready to race!
I am getting ready to buy a set of projector lights for my 2017 Trendline Golf as it's now winter here making it dark for all of my driving and the stock halogen reflectors just aren't providing what I need to feel safe. I would like to upgrade to HID projectors for this reason.

Factory LP lights are out of my budget so the options I am aware of are:
1) Helix
2) Ed's (BEC Auto Parts)

In the threads talking about Ed's lights I see a couple of people mentioning jitter when going over bumps, but I haven't seen that talked about with the Helix lights.

Has anybody here had the jitter problem with either set of lights, and were they able to solve it without reverting back to H7 bulbs?
Also, has anybody bought one of these sets and NOT had a jitter problem?

Thanks!

idris

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7
I've had Helix for about a year and they're solid, never had a problem with them. If you're worried about visibility and brightness make sure you get HIDs to go with the headlights and not just swap out the halogen bulbs.

Jondar

Ready to race!
This is also the reason why I haven't jumped on a pair of BEC headlights. I've also heard about peeling on the outside and dust finding its way inside of Helix headlights. I've pretty much ruled out Helix, but I'm still considering BEC. I just don't know how serious the headlight jitters are. Maybe Ed can chime in?

zero10

Ready to race!
I did see that thread but it doesn't really address my questions. It does remind me of one thing, I have seen a couple people mention connecting the provided HID harness to the battery - is that necessary? I was hoping to avoid any external wiring and make the install truly plug and play to avoid complications.

Mk7josh

I picked up the Helix kit from opdparts.com with the pre-installed HID's. They look great, and visibility was a primary reason for me as I'm kinda blind at night. I've done a handful of highway night trips, love the bi-xenon functionality, super bright.

I had concerns about dust / condensation. I had condensation the first week they were installed, then nothing after that. I park in a heated garage, and live in central canada, where temps reach -30c... so far I'm happy.

I haven't installed any protective film on them yet but plan to, so far no issues with washes, etc.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Glad you're enjoying those Josh. Heads up, they're not technically bixenons, as they don't have shutters for the high-beams (unless i missed the bit where helix redesigned them). Minor detail of course.

zero10

Ready to race!
I didn't realize the OPD Helix lights were bi-xenon. That would be a big benefit!
I thought I had finally made up my mind and was willing to accept the insane $126USD shipping to get the lights to me here in BC and when I went to check out now I see it is quoting $168USD for shipping.... sigh.
Maybe I'll keep waiting and watching for reviews :(

zero10

Ready to race!
Glad you're enjoying those Josh. Heads up, they're not technically bixenons, as they don't have shutters for the high-beams (unless i missed the bit where helix redesigned them). Minor detail of course.

I had also marked these lights down on my list since I didn't think they were bi-xenon but I see on the specifications tab they list the low beam as being "bi-projector (low/high)" which makes me think maybe they are?... Now I'm not sure.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
They're not. They're helix brand lights with two different bulb outputs. D2S for low, h7 for high beam. Note he says "bi-projector" which is elaborate fancy sounding way of "two bulb outputs." Not bi-xenon. Bi-xenon is like Ed's or RFB wherein you have an active shutter that's the low when closed, and high when open.

darth_furious1

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the 4500k h7 w/canbus. Yes canbus kit is needed to avoid the bulb out error.
The 4500k outputs a lot of light with a white / very slight yellow look.
The 5500k bulbs will look more like what BMWs and other high end cars on the road have. It will match the drl better but put out a little less light.
The 6500k bulbs will definitely not look stock, will match up with the drl perfectly, and give the appearance of brightness without lighting up as well.

It's up to you. If you don't care what others see but only what you see in the driver seat, I say go 4500k. If you want the car to look nice to others driving by, get the 5500k

Mk7josh

I had also marked these lights down on my list since I didn't think they were bi-xenon but I see on the specifications tab they list the low beam as being "bi-projector (low/high)" which makes me think maybe they are?... Now I'm not sure.

When i flick the high beams on, a shutter noise occurs, and it opens light way higher. The halogen bulb that is shipped with the Helix kit is useless and for show. The damper opens up and lets more light out with these. and the cut off is pretty great IMHO.

Factory Halogens -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1wzecjrnew53rw/2017-05-05 21.46.42.jpg?dl=0

OPD Helix HID Kit Installed -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/69vauwhejbglfq4/2017-05-06 23.11.34.jpg?dl=0

Last edited: