GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Dyno tune vs E-tune

billmesh

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm assuming it is more advantageous to dyno tune, but is there really an appreciable difference?

I have found I do have a Cobb dyno tuner locally to me, Redline Tuning, but I don't know much about them. It looks like they have produced some nice cars, though.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
5150 e-tune. This car is not a simple raise the boost kind of car. Out of hundreds/thousands of Cobb protuners only 3-4 of them know what they are doing. Redline is not one of them.

Revolagoy1

Ready to race!
I would say one advantage of a dyno protune is that you don't have a chance of going to jail trying to run logs in 3rd and 4th gear. In addition, you can go back and compare results when parts are added and have a reasonable comparison if the dyno room is climate controlled like my tuner. Doing an e-tune it will be based on the weather conditions you do your testing in. I know the car can compensate for conditions but the difference in Phoenix between the winter and summer is dramatic. The dyno tuner can test the car in different gears under different loads as well as part throttle performance. In my opinion (yours and other may vary), if you have a dyno tuner that has experience with the platform you are running it's a better option than a e-tune. If you have issues with your e-tune what is your recourse? At least if it's a shop you can talk to them face to face to sort it out.

Last edited:

Mark7GTi-sport

Ready to race!
I prefer my dyno tune. It's live and it's being tuned right there on the spot. E-tunes are good too, that's what I did with my previous car. But I knew the potential is higher when getting tuned right on the spot.

Mark7GTi-sport

Ready to race!
5150 e-tune. This car is not a simple raise the boost kind of car. Out of hundreds/thousands of Cobb protuners only 3-4 of them know what they are doing. Redline is not one of them.

Who said a tuner that will do a dyno tune/pro tune will just turn the boost up. Of course they will look at all the parameters where your car is running its best/safe.

The reason why there's only a hand full of tuners is cause the accessport was just made available to this platform lately. It's barely 2 years old. Give it time and tuners that are certified COBB tuners will migrate to this platform. Freaktune, Stratified and others came from other platforms. My tuner came from tuning the Mazdaspeed speed platform. He also tunes other cars that uses other means of tuning ECU's, cars like the mustang's and camaro's.

OP, you've seen my post about my dyno tune. Sure some says its pretty aggressive but my car has been running the tune for almost a week now with no issues. I drive my car everyday through streets and highways. But if you feel an etune is good enough for your needs, by all means go for it. But I wouldn't doubt that shop you mentioned on your first post. Ask them a lot of questions though before going through it. I'm sure you'll get what you asks for.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I have an etune right now. I had the option of doing a dyno tune by a really good tuner close to me also, but I remember reading or hearing that etunes replicate real life driving situations more? Not sure if that's complete bullshit or if there is any truth to that? I'm not a tuner but I would imagine tuning on the streets would be more "real life" than on a dyno with a fan for cooling? Obviously you have to try and keep the gas and street the same to be consistent. What does everyone think?

Navi

Autocross Champion
It does suck though lol. Trying to make time to get to the exact same stretch of road every week when there is zero traffic. And now with the snow and ice, I had to tell my tuner that I'm taking a week or two off from logging lol. But he was cool about it so that's a plus.

Mark7GTi-sport

Ready to race!

BTW, those are good numbers for an IS20

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
You could do remote dyno tuning? Though think what would you rather have; Etune that is done by one of the best tuners on this platform who has done 50+ MK7 tunes alone at $250-300 versus some random protuner who has a dyno and only tuned 0-2 MK7s at $600-650? Who do you think will know more and the limits?

If you go to any shop that is a Cobb protuner and they've only done 1 of our cars then they need to tune you for free or half price. Only go to a place that has a customer development or in house MK7 or you'll waste your money and time.

You've been warned. Don't get upset when your Cobb custom $650 dynotune gets waxed by an APR Stage 1 flash car LOL

Also etune allows to learn about your car. Having someone send it on a dyno back to back in 4th gear for 2, 3 to 4 hours does nothing for me and is quiet alarming how much KR will happen in that timing under someone who knows nothing about this ecu.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Also etune allows to learn about your car. Having someone send it on a dyno back to back in 4th gear for 2, 3 to 4 hours does nothing for me and is quiet alarming how much KR will happen in that timing under someone who knows nothing about this ecu.

I agree with this. Nothing like a week cool down period inbetween etune revisions LOLLL