GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Auto disconnects

MarcoBe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 2017 Autobahn
Have my GTI for 2 weeks now, loving it, however my Android Auto disconnects every now and then. Typically works for a 30 minutes or so and then starts disconnecting.

Tried different cables, shorter cable, oem cables etc, all having the same issue.

I have a LG G6 non-rooted. Anybody else have an LG G6 without this issue?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marco

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Typical IT response: Have you actually restarted your phone? I was having issues with AA and restarting my phone seemed to have solved the problem (Samsung S7).

jmazz

I have the same problem. It worked fine at first and now I usually can't get it to stay connected for long. Some days it connects for a decent amount of time, but other days my phone will not connect at all. When that is happening I can see my phone constantly alternating between charging and not charging.

I've tried multiple cables, reboots, removing the car from AA, re-adding it, etc. I even checked the connections on the back of the USB connector. My phone is a Moto X Pure. I've had this issue with Marshmallow and Nougat. My wife's phone does not have Android Auto on it but has similar charging issues when I tried it.

Unfortunately, I can't even figure out if this is a phone, car, hardware or software issue to even guess where to start. I have zero faith that if I took this to a dealer they'd be able to figure anything out.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I think this is/was a common issue, even with other manufacturers who have Android Auto head units.

My Galaxy S7 still disconnects sometimes, despite having gone through different cables and an Android version update in the past year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jared_N

I used to have issues with this and switched to a Belkin cable from a no-name cable and it works flawlessly. This isn't a VW-specific issue, I sell Subarus and it happens in them too.

jmazz

Yeah, even though I've tried multiple cables I think I need to make sure I am using a really good one.

I got it to crash again this morning and at least this time I had an error on my phone. "Communication error #12". This link helps
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/bMgGmZZqXlI

I think I may have 2 different issues. First is the cable causing intermittent drops. But I think the charging on/off, no connect situation probably has something to do with Fast Charge. I bet my phone is fully charged and bouncing back and forth.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
OP, is your phone on Android Oreo? (Android v8.0 or higher).
I upgraded my Pixel to Oreo and had a really bad time keeping my phone connected via android auto. It was terrible. I rolled back to V7.1.2 and I have NEVER had it disconnect since then.

Short form....the VW headunit software doesn't tolerate Android 8.0 very well yet. There might be a reflash of the headunit software from the dealer. Probably a good idea to ask.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
I had a lot of issues with random disconnects with my OnePlus 3T. The issue persisted through both OS and AA updates as well as changing USB cables and fiddling with settings. One of the OS updates even specifically mentioned AA disconnects as a bug fix.

However, it seems to be less of an issue with my new phone. Not sure if it's the new hardware but so far no random disconnects.

I feel like the only variable I haven't tried messing with is an update to the headunit. Is there any way to check without a visit to the dealer?

jmazz

Just to update I bought an Anker PowerLine USB cable. I have taken 3 30 minute drives with no disconnects. Typically it would have dropped a couple times on each drive. Hopefully that was my issue.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Pixel 2 XL here and i have the same problem. It was a PITA to get Android Auto to work and now that i did it disconnects after a few minutes. Could be an Oreo thing or could be that the head unit needs to be updated to work with Oreo.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I just upgraded to a google pixel 2 xl from having a lifetime of iphones and it came with a usb-c to usb-c cable which did me no good in the car...bought the first cable I could find at target (a Belkin) and had the same issues being reported above...it would work for a minute and then disconnect/reconnect to a point where it was completely unusable...I was not happy since one of my driving factors for switching was my extreme dislike of apple maps and siri, both of which I hated even more because of carplay not allowing me any other options

anyways, so I searched google high and low and it seems lots of people have this issue, the only suggested fix was to get an anker powerline+ cable (there were lots of other suggestions in these threads, most of which didn't work)

So I purchased this cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3NB6FB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it has been working perfectly ever since...I have not had a single AA disconnect and I've had the new cable for about 2 weeks

hope this helps someone, it took me hours of searching to find this

zero10

Ready to race!
I have a pixel 2 and I am having a similar problem but mine's even weirder. It always crashes in the same location. There's about a 1km stretch of road that when I drive it in either direction Android Auto just continually restarts until I leave the area. I don't see how this can be cable related but I'm getting really frustrated with the problem and am willing to try a new cable to fix it.