GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cerrmic coating

faid

Ready to race!
Anyone done ceremic coating on there mk7?

Thinking about coating my mk7 golf r. Cant decide between cquartz and ceremic pro.

Any suggestion?

faid

Ready to race!

Do you still have to do a car wash or just a spray with a pressure washer will be fine?

I am doing a bit of research about their 3-5 year warranty and it seems like i have to bring it back to them to check and redo some of the coating, in order for the warranty to be valid. Seems like a big hassle in my opinion.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I got the coating because I'm lazy. I know it's not going to look perfect 10 years from now but I wanted to make it easier to clean knowing I wasn't going to do it every weekend. I don't have a pressure washer but I take it to one of those open bay carwash places when it needs it and use theirs. A microfiber with some Meguires takes care of any stubborn spots. Any coating will come with some sort of warranty requirements.

faid

Ready to race!
I got the coating because I'm lazy. I know it's not going to look perfect 10 years from now but I wanted to make it easier to clean knowing I wasn't going to do it every weekend. I don't have a pressure washer but I take it to one of those open bay carwash places when it needs it and use theirs. A microfiber with some Meguires takes care of any stubborn spots. Any coating will come with some sort of warranty requirements.

Yeah that was my goal, no washing, just pressure wash spray and wipe dry. I am just worried, me spending all that money and my goal of not needing to wash not been able to achieve.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Kamikaze Miyabe, cannot ever go wrong with it! Any dirt comes off much more easily, but will still need soap etc, and you have an average life of anywhere from 1-4 years, depending on maintenance.

Cquartz is a solid coating with minimal effort in application. Good place to start, just pick up some CP reload to use for maintenance after 3-4 washes

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
As someone who has it, don't get Ceramic Pro, not worth the price. CQuartz has 15% more silica in it anyways and has been surface tension. I wouldn't look past CQuartz or CQuartz UK. Easy to use, and cheap compared to others.

But, in the end, how a coating looks and performs is in direct relation to preparation of the install. Coating a surface that isn't 99% defect free is almost a waste of ones time. I think.

Being able to compare CQuartz cars and CP cars side by side for about a year now, I will say that the CQuartz performs better. I have some battle scars that need removed after winter, the Ceramic Pro will most likely come off in this process also. I plan to try CarPro Gliss come spring if that's the case.

Washing a coated car is easier and a bit faster, that is true. With a coating comes different responsibilities though, like I can almost bet whatever shampoo you are currently using is a coating no-no. Chances are. Also, if you are someone who like waxing and claying and doing all that stuff on your personal car, don't get a coating, you'll get bored with life lol.

Good luck. Once last piece of advice, if I could go back in time, I would've rather put the $1600 towards more PPF in addition to my front clip. PPF is one of the greatest inventions ever. It has saved my hide more then once. Or should I say, my car's hide. Ha.

Merry Western Culture Holiday Season everyone.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I got Gtechniq crystal serum on my 16' and 12' GTI's. Super slippery, awesome gloss and depth. 5 year warranty.

Well worth the money, IMO.

My beef with coating warranties, and the sort. For example, my Ceramic Pro "Gold Package" came with a 6 year warranty. What that means I'm still not 100% sure, but I have had 2 scratches repaired for FREE this year. Let's say my installer goes under, and a new detailer pops up and also installs Ceramic Pro. According to my contract with Ceramic Pro, this new installer would have to provide me service even though he didn't do the install. I can tell you right now, detailers in this situation are not adhering to contracts, nor should they have to :)

I don't see how a coating company can say their product has a warranty unless they install them all under controlled conditions in a very very repeatable way. Not realistic. The company can't control where you park or how you care for you car. Now, if a coating fails and they reimburse me the money, OK, but what about the 2 days paint correction, day of install, and day of cure time? Are they going to repay that too? Probably not....

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I am late to the party, but going to agree with Panzer. Cquartz is the way to go for coatings, cheap and great quality. Plus carpro makes some of the best chemicals out there for cleaning in general. Coatings really do make cleaning the car easier.

I also wish I had gone with a bit of PPF when I first got my car also.

TroyScherer

Ready to race!
Yeah that was my goal, no washing, just pressure wash spray and wipe dry. I am just worried, me spending all that money and my goal of not needing to wash not been able to achieve.

This is not what Coating are for or how they work. Having used many of the popular options I have not found a single coating that truly allows for a rinse and dry method for regular care and maintenance.

Coatings help protect the paint and make it easier to clean. But they still can get marring and scratches and they are not a "no wash" solution.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

This is not what Coating are for or how they work. Having used many of the popular options I have not found a single coating that truly allows for a rinse and dry method for regular care and maintenance.

Coatings help protect the paint and make it easier to clean. But they still can get marring and scratches and they are not a "no wash" solution.
They require just as much gentle touch as an uncoated car does. Factor in special products to utilize in conjunction, and you end up taking out just as much stuff for a regular wash as you did before getting a coating. Overall, I bit at the bait, it sounded too good to be true. It was lol.

But, that said, I paid to have a sprayed application, and was unable to do it myself at the time. Most of the cost was certainly buried in those to points alone. I plan to go back to using just CarPro Reload at my primary protection. Car needs polished, and I will likely remove most of my coating in the process.

Ah well. Lessons learned.