GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust sound I want from VW

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
That clubsport sounds like it has the APR crackle tune.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Oh interesting, thanks for that. I wonder if it has to do with the port injection system the ROW cars use.
That's not why. APR found the ECM tweak that enables the pops and crackles that the factory had as default. It's all in the programing. If it was just port injection then it wouldn't be possible to enable on US cars.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That's not why. APR found the ECM tweak that enables the pops and crackles that the factory had as default. It's all in the programing. If it was just port injection then it wouldn't be possible to enable on US cars.

I owned plenty of cars with port injection only and none popped. Even my carbureted cars didn't do it unless I shut off the ignition, pulled the choke, then turned the key back to on. As the car started it burned all of the excess fuel in the exhaust manifold. I mainly did it when a car was tailgating me, because it would also cause a huge cloud of black smoke. The only problem was it often popped so much it loosened the connection between the exhaust pipe and muffler. Didn't have band clamps for exhaust systems on mainstream cars then. Should have welded it but I was too lazy.

Too bad it's not something you can make a piggyback tune for, with built-in Bluetooth controllable from an app. Even if APR made it a stand-alone tune it still voids your warranty.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R

I thought they adjusted the fuel/etc to get it to crackle? It's just a tweak? So then every pop/crackle enabled tune should sound the same?

Is there any that do it on stage 1? APR will only enable it on Stage 2+.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I thought they adjusted the fuel/etc to get it to crackle? It's just a tweak? So then every pop/crackle enabled tune should sound the same?

Is there any that do it on stage 1? APR will only enable it on Stage 2+.
From my understanding, only certain ECMs allow it the older mk7 say 15 and prior don't have this coded for the pops and crackles so it can't be enabled on certain ECMs. I do believe that APR also explains this in more detail.

As to why only their stage 2+ has the option that's something that only APR can explain.

As to how it actually works... To get the pops a bit of playing with timing and ignition results in the after fire or pops/crackles. Direct ignition when you think about it allows this to easily take place. That is a dash of fuel on the exhaust stroke with a bit of spark equals the pops and crackles.

*edit to add*
Here's the APR thread on the crackle tune:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36959

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
From my understanding, only certain ECMs allow it the older mk7 say 15 and prior don't have this coded for the pops and crackles so it can't be enabled on certain ECMs. I do believe that APR also explains this in more detail.

As to why only their stage 2+ has the option that's something that only APR can explain.

As to how it actually works... To get the pops a bit of playing with timing and ignition results in the after fire or pops/crackles. Direct ignition when you think about it allows this to easily take place. That is a dash of fuel on the exhaust stroke with a bit of spark equals the pops and crackles.

*edit to add*
Here's the APR thread on the crackle tune:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36959

Is it only on Stage 2 because it kills your cat? With the secondary O2 sensor being disabled you wouldn't be able to tell.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Is it only on Stage 2 because it kills your cat? With the secondary O2 sensor being disabled you wouldn't be able to tell.

I mean lots of cars come with this sound stock, so it can't be the pop/crackle that destroy the cat on its own. So seems a bit odd..