GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does my battery needs to be replaced

Bakili

Ready to race!
Hey guys

I am not sure if battery due replacement. It's been acting bit strange past few days. Car is Bluemotion Diesel 2014 done 86k miles.
Noticed lately that stop/start is not kicking in most times, but narrowed down maybe it's down to short journeys I started recently doing. Yesterday, after 30 min driving on highway, stop/start still didn't activate in town driving conditions. Pulled on drive and checked SOC which showed 60%.
This morning drove to work about 6 miles, no traffic 4am in the morning, battery status dropped to 50%. Start/Stop still didn't activate. After work, same journey with some heavy traffic, stop/start kicked in just before getting home. Thought battery will be showing 70% at least now but to my surprise it was still at 60%.
Also occasionally car struggles, it would crank longer than usual.
Batteries are not cheap for Bluemotion, so I would rather not replace it if not needed.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Who knows, however do understand that the lower the figure the better state of charge the battery is at, eg 90% is being charged 10% is less so and nearly fully charged.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
See my how to guide to fit a bigger battery with out having to buy from the dealer...

You will require to have VCDS or OBD11 to make the required coding changes to the BCM however...

Bakili

Ready to race!
See my how to guide to fit a bigger battery with out having to buy from the dealer...

You will require to have VCDS or OBD11 to make the required coding changes to the BCM however...
Thanks
I am following your post. Very useful info so far I learnt. Cheapest battery I sourced is Bosch S5 A08 Bosch AGM Battery 12V 70Ah Type 096 S5A08 at £154. It does have BEM code label as well for coding.
Just not 100% sure now if my battery due replacement

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just test your battery and alternator.

Put a multimeter on the battery terminals. With the car running it should be 14V, off it should be 12V.

If the running number is low, alternator.

If the off number is low, it's the battery. Especially if it's much lower after sitting a while, like first thing in the morning.

Obviously the battery is the most likely candidate, but no point in guessing if yours is going bad when it takes two mins to check

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Take it you are in the UK, if so nip to Halfords and get them to do a drop test on the battery. That will tell you if it needs replacing.

Bakili

Ready to race!

Put a multimeter on the battery terminals. With the car running it should be 14V, off it should be 12V.

If the off number is low, it's the battery. Especially if it's much lower after sitting a while, like first thing in the morning.

Obviously the battery is the most likely candidate, but no point in guessing if yours is going bad when it takes two mins to check
Just done it as adviced put multimeter on after car stood for 3 hrs and reading showing 12.3V
While running reading 14.3V. So looks like battery and alternator are fine.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Just done it as adviced put multimeter on after car stood for 3 hrs and reading showing 12.3V
While running reading 14.3V. So looks like battery and alternator are fine.

12,3 is rather low for just been standing 3 h. Not good enough.
Normally you should have about 12,5- 12,7.

/Peter

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
With engine off, measure battery voltage.

12.6 volts = 100%
12.4 volts = 75%
12.2 volts = 50%
12.0 volts = 25%

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!

Hey have question for you, sounds like you might know. I have the 2016 gti, battery died on it after few years, so I replaced with a h6 agm battery. When I first got the car my charging voltage was around 14.5- high 14s, now I’m in the 13.5 range. So my question is do I need an obd eleven to get my alternator charging back to high 14s, or is there like a regulator or something that could have gone bad? Also I don’t have the battery module or whatever it’s called on my negative battery terminal. Thanks