GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

STi?

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I owned an STI before and miss it sometimes. What I don't miss is how you can't drive the dang thing without worrying about something blowing up or breaking! Can't use launch control bc you'll break the car. Can't use no lift shift because you'll break the car. Can't mess with the center diff because you'll break it. Can't install a freaking air intake without a tune because the engine with grenade the first time you start it up... I do miss all the waves I got from other STI owners though. Other VW owners just ignore me!

Snitt

Ready to race!
After owning a stock 2015 STI and a 2017 golf R, I can safely say a stock DSG R will beat a stock STI. If you're comparing mag times like above, you need to keep in mind how many multiple launches and runs were done to achieve their best times in the STI. Whereas the DSG R is dead nuts easy to launch and 'shift'.

To get the best 0-60ft in a stock sti, you're going t be launching at 4500-5500 rpms and technically will not be launching in boost (no 2 steps stock).

Out of curiosity, how do you feel the R would do against an STi from a 45 roll? I had a Stage 2 '04 WRX that ran out of breath in the top end, but I always heard that the STi had more top end power. Since the STi engine hasn't changed since '04... :D

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Out of curiosity, how do you feel the R would do against an STi from a 45 roll? I had a Stage 2 '04 WRX that ran out of breath in the top end, but I always heard that the STi had more top end power. Since the STi engine hasn't changed since '04... :D

Sti’s are weak ass from a roll, they are all time awd, as you know, the faster you go the weaker they are. Basic boltons and tuned to run e85, with a good clutch and the guts to launch it hard, they are tough ass hell out of the hole but lose steam real quick. From a roll the R being fwd essentially only, the R, stock for stock or mod for mod buries the sti, and gets way better mileage because of the different type of awd system doing it. A pump gas stage 2 gti will walk away from a pump gas stage 2 sti, an is38 gti wouldn’t even know the sti was trying, from a roll.

Now the sti, with winter wheel/tire, is the best car I’ve ever driven in the snow and is awesome on dirt/gravel however. On paved roads especially street driving it’s a laggy, rough riding, underpowered, ill equipped, ugly, dated, rattle trap and a heavy dinosaur, by today’s standard, with a close ratio trans that always keeps you busy because the damn ej and single scroll turbo is so laggy. Right now the wrx is a better Subaru, which is sad, the sti WAS badass, once upon a time, now it’s just a pig in lipstick and boyracer/wanna be rally styling. Although I’d buy one over a ford rs, cause the drive train, sans ej, is bullet proof after a clutch upgrade and blown ringlands are better than cracked blocks, but would easily buy a wrx, type r, and obviously a golf R before ever spending a dime on an sti, at least until Subaru does first, it’s sad they’ve let it fall so far by not answering the competition in the last 14 years in the states! I really thought I was an idiot back in 2011 for buying a brand new, 7-8 year old tech wise sti, I’m absolutely stunned it’s basically still the exact same thing in 2018, except heavier still, it’s amazing that their “halo” car constantly stays the same since brought here and more amazing that it still sells easily, says allot about allot of American customers.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
The STI is definitely NOT a roll racing car. It's down right slow from a roll in stock form.

I do agree with the above post on pretty much everything, especially that the STI is amazing in the snow with winter tires. The worse the weather the better my STI was.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
All this talk about R vs STI. Hell, I beat an STI with my stage 1 Golf.

So on the highway, pull up to an STI (looked to be a 2012). He had a passenger. I didn't. We were going about 80. Car in front moves over.
He takes off. I drop into 4th. Because of the is12 power band, it pulls stronger in 4th than 3rd. Thought he would pull away, especially with his loud exhaust and figuring he had at least a tune.

Not at all. I was actually gaining and passed him at about 120. We kept going to 135 at which point he was a couple car lengths behind.

Now from a dig, I am sure the result would have been completely the other way, especially with the Subi's brick like aero not doing it any favors at speed.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
All this talk about R vs STI. Hell, I beat an STI with my stage 1 Golf.

So on the highway, pull up to an STI (looked to be a 2012). He had a passenger. I didn't. We were going about 80. Car in front moves over.
He takes off. I drop into 4th. Because of the is12 power band, it pulls stronger in 4th than 3rd. Thought he would pull away, especially with his loud exhaust and figuring he had at least a tune.

Not at all. I was actually gaining and passed him at about 120. We kept going to 135 at which point he was a couple car lengths behind.

Now from a dig, I am sure the result would have been completely the other way, especially with the Subi's brick like aero not doing it any favors at speed.

you telling me that big wing doesnt add any hp?