GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tracking on stock plugs - apr stage1

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Is this a really dumb thing to do - am i asking for trouble?

I have little over 25K on stock plugs - been tuned since 4k. Car runs great.

Was looking to get RS7 (06K905601 M) plugs beginning of the year and i don't know what happened since. :rolleyes:

AR11

Ready to race!
A buddy killed a coil pack at a track day and luckily found a spare to finish the event on. If you aren't gonna change em you might want to throw some spares in your toolbox so you don't find yourself SOL.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That's a good point, i did not think of that - thanks. I used to carry a set of OEM coil packs and plugs in my old mk6 GTI just in case my R7 coils failed (those were a must have if tuned).

Here is what C4 (1st from driver's side) looks like. Not too sure what to make of it, hopefully someone w/ experience can chime in. To me, looks normal. I just pulled that one and removed the snow guard/plastic vent in the air box.

Edit:updated pic w/ imgur, screw photobucket's new bs

Last edited:

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Did about 35 laps on a 2 mile track. Car ran strong. I didn't experience any hiccups w/ stock plugs and stage 1 w/ FMIC. Had a spare set of RS7s just in case. Wonder if there would have been any difference in performance between the two sets over a 20 min session.

I had one decent opportunity to somewhat benchmark my cars' output against a stock '17 STI on the straights. I was in the front as we both passed a car on the straights - so the pull was probably 40 - 100. It pulled away ever so slightly, maybe a bus or two, max. I will confirm once video is available.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I hope you're right :). I feel like i was expecting a lot more of that push back in the seat feel throughout the entire 20 min session, so figured as much that the ECU was pulling things back. Oil Temps were in the 150s. Who knows, maybe even my FMIC was holding me back. I've logged my 3rd session via torque app (i don't know how accurate that thing is) and the IATs were mostly in the 20s (over ambient).

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Having done a 2.5hr lap day with 5 30min sessions on the stock tune, I can tell you that the car felt like a dog after the first 2-3 minutes.

It is a small 2.0L pushing 25+lbs of boost in your case. It will not dissipate heat that well :D It also has a ton of decay tables from IAT and coolant temp which will lower performance to stop detonation under long full load applications.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That is true. All that heat must have some sort of negative impact. How hot was it for you when you were out there? Unless conditions are extreme, i would never suspect a stock performance FI application (GTI vs Cruize) to show signs of weakness out on a track. I should be content mine ran somewhat consistent throughout the 3, 20 min sessions.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
APR stage 1 Hi torque sw v2.3 and 98oktan
APR intercooler
Standard oem plugs
No problems so far.
When hot I can feel things are changing!