GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horrible sound after car was sitting for a month

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
So my car was sitting for 30 days....just came back and it was hesitant to move backwards like the springs were locked, then it made a metallic thump and started rolling....but now it makes a horrible sound from rear wheel while braking? Only have driven it about 3 miles? Any idea?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Surface rust buildup on discs and pads. Give it some really good hard braking to clean it off.

Could it cause weird metallic sounds on turns as well?

tknj99

Ready to race!
Something similar happened on my MK6 GTI after sitting for 5-weeks, while driving i heard a rubbing sound and braking noises/bad pulsation. Brought it to the dealer and they changed all 4 rotors at that time citing warping that had occurred.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You can this same thing just by washing your car and letting it sit for two days. Once it took a few days for the scraping noise to stop

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Hell, I can replicate by simply driving outside in winter and setting my parking brake in the garage overnight. Flash rust is very quick to bind the pads to the rotors. I get out on the road and drag the parking brake a few times to burn off the rust and you're good to go.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Was it sitting outside for 30 days? Probably have lot rust as stated on rotors.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Shit happens to me even during a day at work and it rains. Sometimes requires me to gas it for it to even budge.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Yea it stopped after about 30 minutes of slamming brakes on the highway on and off....so bizzare, never had this on other cars