GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member, potential R-buyer

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Sweet, I'm getting anxious now to take delivery.

My dealership is useless lol. Sent my salesman an email yesterday asking if he could give me either a vin# or a commission# so I could track the car, since it's getting close and I'd like to set up my current car for sale.

He just responded that car should be in next month and he'd touch base tomorrow when he is back at work. And that they have no 2018 yet and he's still waiting to get a 2017 for me to test drive. Weird since the dealer I visited last week has one 2018 in the showroom, 3 more in the lot, and apparently another 3 on order. Guess I chose a small dealership to buy from. Not sure if it's a good thing or not, but it'd be nice to get the occasional follow-up from my salesman without having to be the one to reach out.

Summons

Sweet, I'm getting anxious now to take delivery.

My dealership is useless lol. Sent my salesman an email yesterday asking if he could give me either a vin# or a commission# so I could track the car, since it's getting close and I'd like to set up my current car for sale.

He just responded that car should be in next month and he'd touch base tomorrow when he is back at work. And that they have no 2018 yet and he's still waiting to get a 2017 for me to test drive. Weird since the dealer I visited last week has one 2018 in the showroom, 3 more in the lot, and apparently another 3 on order. Guess I chose a small dealership to buy from. Not sure if it's a good thing or not, but it'd be nice to get the occasional follow-up from my salesman without having to be the one to reach out.

Very odd given they had a '18 R for me a week after I walked into the showroom... I wasn't able to choose exactly what I wanted (colour - got black since that was what showed up) but otherwise got the features - DSG and Driver's assistance package - I wanted AND got to test drive a DSG when I first walked in.

I was under the gun for a new car since I had wrecked my '12 Cooper S the day before... Stock availability wasn't really discussed - just that I might have to compromise on colour.

All that said, I do live in Toronto, so perhaps being in major center determined stock availability?

Eric

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Very odd given they had a '18 R for me a week after I walked into the showroom... I wasn't able to choose exactly what I wanted (colour - got black since that was what showed up) but otherwise got the features - DSG and Driver's assistance package - I wanted AND got to test drive a DSG when I first walked in.

I was under the gun for a new car since I had wrecked my '12 Cooper S the day before... Stock availability wasn't really discussed - just that I might have to compromise on colour.

All that said, I do live in Toronto, so perhaps being in major center determined stock availability?

Eric

I'm in Montreal, so it shouldn't be THAT far off. Plus the other dealer down the street from me already had some in - apparently because they sell the most R's in the area. I think maybe I just picked a dealer that doesn't move R's and got bad luck of the draw. I went there because it's a VW Prestige and my cousin/uncle always had great service from Porsche and Audi prestige dealerships, but now I am a little annoyed. The other dealer said they'd arrange a test drive for me but it's been a week and they haven't called back so screw em too lol.

The worst part is, I'm in no rush to get the car; my STI is paid and it's not a bad thing having no car payments for another month or two. But what I really want to know is WHEN the car will be in so I can know when I should put my car on the market, clean it up as best I can in this garbage winter weather, etc.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Got my vin# this Saturday from dealer. Asked a member on another forum to track it for me since he works at a VW dealer in Ontario. Got word back that my car is at Halifax, NS port under hold. Seems like it wa son the ship that hit the storm in December, so they are holding all cars for damage inspection. Should have my car within the next 3-4 weeks!

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
It looks like unfortunately my golf R was one of the damaged ones on the storm ship that came to Halifax port end of December. Been waiting quite a few weeks for updated from my dealer on the issue...finally last week they said that they found one exctly configured like mine in Ontario that they could make a trade once they get their non-damaged R's in stock (an extra 2 weeks or so).

So, here's the last update from the dealer. They got ONE good golf-R in from that shipment. They indium gray car they wanted to get for me from Toronto dealership had been sold already, he confirmed yesterday. The non-damaged golf-R that my dealer has in stock from that storm shipment is blue, DSG with DAP option. Now, I ordered an Indium Gray, DSG, with no DAP option (didn't want to add $1500 to the purchase, since I'd only be using maybe 1-2 of the features in all honesty, I just didn't want it). So he told me I could come see the car, and if all is OK and I like it, he can give me a ''slight'' discount on the price. Not sure exactly what slight means, but considering that blue was a close second choice of color, I would be inclined to make some form of a deal if it works out. Now, I did put a thousand dollar deposit down and wait 4 months to get the car I wanted exactly how I ordered it, but I understand that sometimes things are out of the control of dealerships or me, and the car is more rare. I still expect they would make it right by giving me a fair discount and make the buyer happy, especially seeing as how my GF and I will be looking to buy Audi's in the future.

So what do you all think would be fair? heading over Wednesday to see the car. If the car looks good (not too many dealer induced swirls lol) and we can work out a fair deal, I think I will take it. From the forums, DAP is very good, and it can't hurt resale value down the line. I still have not heard from my friend who test drove my car this past weekend, I'll be texting him tonight or tomorrow so he can give me an answer, and just in case, putting my car online tonight to get things moving. If this deal works out, I'd probably take delivery of the R end of next week.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
As you'll be getting a very good option, even if you don't really need it, and a great color, if the price is close enough, do it. I doubt you will regret it.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
So an update for those who are following (that's you, taxguy and Wombat!)

I test drove the blue car last night. Love the color. My GF even more so lol. I was disappointed to learn that the car had the Spielberg rims which IMO are hideous. I shared my hatred of them with my salesman right away, as he had confirmed they were pretorias over the phone but I guess he was confused.

After discussing price for some time, and a lot of back-and-fourth with my salesman and the assistant manager, I was able to negociate $750 off the car MSRP, plus I had already the "New Graduate" rebate of $500 (that one is after taxes unfortunately) so I took the deal. I agree DAP will be nice even though I didn't want it. The Spielberg wheels on the other hand, will be put up for sale as soon as I take possession of the car.

Overall I am pretty happy with the deal. All that is left now is to do a compression test on my STI (my friend is buying the car and wants it done, at his costs though. Really a pain in my ass in terms of timing, scheduling, etc).

If all continues to go well, I'll have the car at the end of next week!

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Awesome, enjoy. The best/worst part now is the wait and anticipation.

The waiting/anticipation doesn't bother me. The compression test on my STI is the main source of stress these days. Car is running MINT, but who knows with these engines, and I'm not crazy about a Subaru tech digging into the sides of my engine to access the pistons and do the test. If all goes smoothe with the test on Monday, I'll be a lot more calm and really don't mind waiting to get my new car next Thursday or Friday. GAH!

Stevo_CT

Ready to race!
The waiting/anticipation doesn't bother me. The compression test on my STI is the main source of stress these days. Car is running MINT, but who knows with these engines, and I'm not crazy about a Subaru tech digging into the sides of my engine to access the pistons and do the test. If all goes smoothe with the test on Monday, I'll be a lot more calm and really don't mind waiting to get my new car next Thursday or Friday. GAH!

Good luck with the compression testing.
Post pics of your new car when you get it.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
STI passed the compression test with 130PSI across the board - which is very good! Buyer will be getting a solid car, and I am picking up my R this Thursday afternoon! pics to come of course!

Stevo_CT

Ready to race!
STI passed the compression test with 130PSI across the board - which is very good! Buyer will be getting a solid car, and I am picking up my R this Thursday afternoon! pics to come of course!

Awesome, you must be so relieved.
Now for the best part, getting your new baby. Enjoy the experience.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Enjoy! Us down here in the USA continue to wait. The blue is an awesome color, and I am sure you are going to love your R. I bought my GTI from a dealer that I did not like because they had what I wanted in stock. Never took it back to them for service (which is where car dealerships make most of their money) so don't hesitate to change to the Prestige service place if you feel it will be better.