GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Non-PP GTI Brake Upgrade

ashiun

Ready to race!
This car is my only car and a daily driver, so BBK and high performance brakes isn't exactly necessary. I have the non-pp gti brakes at 312mm front and 272mm rear non-vented.

So, I'm looking at 3 options here, and I'm not sure what the best option is:

1) Stoptech slotted/cross-drilled/slotted+drilled rotors and hawk/stoptech/akebono street pads. This would run me roughly $700.

2) Close buddy selling me MK7 Golf R full brake set, roughly 12k miles on OEM rotors and pads. We don't really have much of a reference point to go off of so we're thinking maybe $650 or so. Would electronic parking brake have any affect on the install of these on my GTI that has a manual handbrake? Would this upgrade be noticeable from the non-pp GTI brakes?

3) Someone else selling me a VMAXX BBK (330mm front) 4 piston 2 floating rotors off of his MK5 Jetta. Supposedly they should bolt up just fine to the MK7 GTI no problem. This will run me roughly $1100.

I really do like the slotted/drilled look on the rotors but the non-pp rotors are really small, particularly in the back. Maybe the larger 7R rotors would look better in comparison, even with blank rotors. The VMAXX is also a bit more expensive than the other options, so I'm deciding between options 1) and 2) mainly. I passed over a set of TTRS brakes for $1000 because I would have to run 18s year round.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Slotted and drilled won't last as long and are prone to cracks, etc.

Go with the Golf R set-up as everything should bolt up with no issues (can't comment on the electric parking brake). Phenomenal on a DD

VMAXX would be a waste since it's a DD.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This car is my only car and a daily driver, so BBK and high performance brakes isn't exactly necessary. I have the non-pp gti brakes at 312mm front and 272mm rear non-vented.

So, I'm looking at 3 options here, and I'm not sure what the best option is:

1) Stoptech slotted/cross-drilled/slotted+drilled rotors and hawk/stoptech/akebono street pads. This would run me roughly $700.

ATE grooved infinite loop of "J" hook only type to go for & most robust

2) Close buddy selling me MK7 Golf R full brake set, roughly 12k miles on OEM rotors and pads. We don't really have much of a reference point to go off of so we're thinking maybe $650 or so. Would electronic parking brake have any affect on the install of these on my GTI that has a manual handbrake? Would this upgrade be noticeable from the non-pp GTI brakes?

Electric rear handbrake would need the centre console switch a change of ABS unit & various other things...so the rears from the "R" are a non starter..

3) Someone else selling me a VMAXX BBK (330mm front) 4 piston 2 floating rotors off of his MK5 Jetta. Supposedly they should bolt up just fine to the MK7 GTI no problem. This will run me roughly $1100.

330mm is bigger than the GTI & smaller than the "R" (340mm), also it will be vastly lighter & way less unsprung weight, which will have a marked & noticeable impact on handling even for a DD...& they will perform way better than the "R" setup...might even be able to run 17" depending on wheel style/dish

My answers in Bold..

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
It would help to know your goals for the project. Are you just looking for visual impact? Fade resistance? Reduced stopping distance? All of the above? Different solutions have trade offs depending on your goals and will change what we might recommend.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
If you're not hugely concerned with overall stopping power, I'd go for the R brakes - but just the fronts. Completely bolt-on. Upgrade the rotors all around to some DBA T3 4000's or similar. Stay on stock pads, call it a day.

https://www.dba.com.au/products/clubspec-t/4000-t3/

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I was happy with my brakes performance performance as I normally track once a year. I updated to the PP mainly due to the cosmetic appeal of a big disc, GTI on side of caliper and love the vented rear. The PP brakes are identical to the R brakes except for paint. With most GTI being sold these days with the performance packs there are significantly more out in salvage yards. Getting the whole package, pads, calipers and rotors at one shot from a salvage yard should be fairly reasonable. Keep in mind you need new rear brake lines with the PP or R rears as the fitting is a larger diameter.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Looking for a lil bit of everything. Looks because small rotors look bad, looks because slotted/drilled rotors look cool, performance because I'm stage 2 and IS38 within the next year and I need to stop well. I'm daily driving it and won't be going to the track more than once or twice so fade is less of a concern than stopping distance, but a concern nonetheless (since I'd sooner lock up my tires than fade on the street 90% of the time anyways)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looking for a lil bit of everything. Looks because small rotors look bad, looks because slotted/drilled rotors look cool, performance because I'm stage 2 and IS38 within the next year and I need to stop well. I'm daily driving it and won't be going to the track more than once or twice so fade is less of a concern than stopping distance, but a concern nonetheless (since I'd sooner lock up my tires than fade on the street 90% of the time anyways)

Well then if just for looks the four piston calliper is better than the single piston calliper from the R .........

let alone the performance advantages & way lighter unsprung weight...especially having a stage two....all go...you need stopping power to match....:cool:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Vmax looks pretty compelling for the price.
What replacement pads and rotors can you use? Only VMax ones?

Have you considered Rotorlab 17z or 18z (I know 18z will only for gti/R with some modification)
http://rotorlab.com/full-brake-kits

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

Don't forget dust boots and possibly piston seals. If you track your car enough, you'll cook those as well and will need to replace.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Vmax looks pretty compelling for the price.

Have you considered Rotorlab 17z or 18z (I know 18z will only for gti/R with some modification)
http://rotorlab.com/full-brake-kits

Wow. That looks very VERY interesting. I've never heard of them before, are they reputable?