GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Installed MST yesterday - really nice design and happy with improved spool, response and low/mid torque!

Did BMS sell their design to these guys?
Looks similar. Both look like they have aluminum velocity stacks. But MST might just be smooth with step.
MST part has changed.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/silicone-turbo-inlet-hose/010944ecs01~a/

I assume that this does not replace the actual turbo inlet? Can anyone verify that? ECS sells a lot with this hose and a K&N panel filter for $100 bux. I thought if this was a legit turbo inlet it was a great price. If it's just a hose that leads to the restrictive inlet, not so much.

You assume correctly. This is the just the hose that leads to the restrictive 90-degree inlet pipe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed
Funny, I came across this thread while waiting for my VWR TIP to arrive.

I am returning it and ordering the APR.

Upon first inspection I see that the VWR TIP has a pretty large step down at the turbo end. Couldn't tell from pictures.
The whole point was to get one with smoother flow. This does not look like the best design.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
John over at Unitronic has been teasing one on instagram. They 3D printed a test model last week and are moving over towards final production.

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
I installed the Turbo Inlet Pipe from HG Motorsport in my car and I liked the result, definitely the turbine responds faster and the sound of the turbo is louder.

Certainly had some gain.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
John over at Unitronic has been teasing one on instagram. They 3D printed a test model last week and are moving over towards final production.

I'll be picking up one of these when it's out. I realize APR has the best design currently but I'm sort of pissy with them since I ended up breaking their pcv breather bung and my $80 hose.

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed
Received my APR turbo inlet. Went to install it but got stuck on removing the PCV hose. It was requiring some serious pulling. Felt like something was going to snap.
Found demi9od's thread on this subject. Buying a detachable style PCV hose.

Also, as pointed out earlier by phxvwking, the stock inlet may be small, but the path is definitely smooth.

Last edited:

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the removable PCV hose and finally installed my APR TIP this morning. Took it for a drive. Can't say I feel any extra power with the butt dyno. Main difference is the power delivery seems a little smoother. The boost seems to come on a little more gradually instead of a little lag, then a big hit of boost.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
CTS turbo TIP has a section where larger pipe mates with the smaller one (turbo side), and the two are supposed to line up perfectly, so there's no bump that blocking the flow, but so far they alway get it slightly off, so i had to file them to make them flush without any blockage (bump)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Looking to dyno my stock tune car soon. Will possibly do a second run to test the APR TIP on stock boost.
That would be great man, thanks.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Just want to correct this for those wondering... The Golf R inlet and o-ring is NOT the same as the one used on the GTI and 1.8T.

R: 5Q0-129-635-L / 5Q0-129-646-A

GTI/1.8T: 5QM-129-635 / 5Q0-129-646

So it would seem like the inlet is a little bigger for the IS38 than the one for the IS12 and IS20...

I haven't done much digging for actual pressures, but does this logic hold true across the mk7 line? It seems the same part(5QM-129-635) is used in the Golf R that is used in the Golf. Does the pressure ratio that exists in the Golf R come close to that in the Golf?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just want to correct this for those wondering... The Golf R inlet and o-ring is NOT the same as the one used on the GTI and 1.8T.

R: 5Q0-129-635-L / 5Q0-129-646-A

GTI/1.8T: 5QM-129-635 / 5Q0-129-646

So it would seem like the inlet is a little bigger for the IS38 than the one for the IS12 and IS20...
Maybe that would explain why the APR install is difficult. I wonder if APR used an R o-ring.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk