GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with front end spring install

cheezychris7

Bought some H&R lowering springs for my 2017 GTI and had no trouble with the rears, but the fronts are being a PITA. Anyone in the north Bay Area have experience doing these and be willing to help? Located in Napa, but totally willing to travel.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Anything in particular you are getting stuck on? I'm pretty swamped but might be able to talk you through it, I did the OE Sport Golf springs on mine about 9 months back. The 2x4 method worked and I made sure I bought the knuckle spreader and triple squares before I started.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve done a few dozen of them, never used the 2x4 method

There’s tons of good write ups, but at least half diy result in noise due to improperly installed or torqued strut mounts & bearings. NEVER use an impact on the strut mount, DAP does in their video and I credit them with all the issues shade tree mechanics have. You need to properly torque the strut bearing nut WITH spring compressors still installed to allow proper mount alignment and torque on the nut

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25214

cheezychris7

Anything in particular you are getting stuck on? I'm pretty swamped but might be able to talk you through it, I did the OE Sport Golf springs on mine about 9 months back. The 2x4 method worked and I made sure I bought the knuckle spreader and triple squares before I started.

I have the spreader and all the tools, but I tried the 2x4 method and couldn't get it done. I've never done any suspension work similar to this, only coilovers on Japanese cars and this is a total pain. The idea of messing with the axle at all makes me nervous haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Any luck? Feel free to PM me if it helps, there was a bit if a struggle with the strut spreader and wiggling the strut out. Definitely helped to have an extra person or carefully jack up the 2x4. :)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk