GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf won't read SDXC card formatted in exFAT

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I just copied my music library onto a SDXC class 10 card, 128gb, and when I insert it into the card slot, the MIBII tries to read the device, asks me to select media source (I select SD card), then nothing happens. My only media options are radio or my phone's bluetooth. I can't get it to recognize the card's file structure.

If it means anything, I formatted the card as exFAT on a mac, and transferred my files manually to it. I have five folders at root level. I don't have a PC to verify the integrity of the file system, but it shows up as exFAT in my mac and all the folders and files are there and can be listened to (on my mac).

Any help appreciated!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Update: so it fixed itself. Third time was a charm. Maybe I didn't have enough patience to let the system figure things out, but eventually it showed up and everything works wonderfully. I was even able to assign station logos images.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Cool. I'm doing the same thing - Mac to ExFAT, but on a 256gb Class 10 card. Working like a charm forever now. I export right out of iTunes, including my playlists. Slicker than snot.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Cool. I'm doing the same thing - Mac to ExFAT, but on a 256gb Class 10 card. Working like a charm forever now. I export right out of iTunes, including my playlists. Slicker than snot.

How do you export right out of iTunes with playlists?

The other posts showed using plugins/apps that i don't want to buy.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Thanks for that tip. I have to say I'm impressed with the MIBII's ability to read all the metadata properly (mostly), even from a mix of media files obtained over the years from, let's just say, less than reputable sources. I have a mix of MP3 and AAC. Most of my content has been stored in the iTunes cloud and downloaded as matched AAC at 256kbps for transferring to the SD card, but I had no idea that I could just export everything out of iTunes!!! I assumed MIBII was stupid, so after downloading all my content from iTunes cloud, I manually made a copy of my itunes library, cleaned out all the non-music directories (art, caches, etc), and manually created various folders at root level of the SD card. I spent way too much time I think I needed to. Next time I will try to export directly from iTunes. Exporting my playlists directly will be icing on the cake.

I nice bonus of having the SD card replicate my iTunes library is that I can now switch off iTunes streaming from my phone and avoid data usage (and signal dropout) instead of streaming through Carplay!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
How do you export right out of iTunes with playlists?

The other posts showed using plugins/apps that i don't want to buy.

Time to dig up this thread again...

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28720

Yes, Export for iTunes costs $7.99, and you can do everything it does manually, but it does such an elegant job, I think it's WELL worth the minor 1-time cost. And its most important feature - exporting playlists with proper metadata that you don't have to do any manual fiddling with whatsoever - really seals the deal for me. Any time I add new music now, or add to or modify a playlist, it's easy-peazy to slap my SD card into my iMac and update it. I still run into minor issues like album artwork that doesn't display - happened to me the other day with a new album purchased directly from iTunes. Turned out that the Apple-supplied album art was 1400x1400 (never seen that before!) so I simply replaced it with a 400x400 version and that always solves such a problem. 500x500 works too from my experience, though anything bigger than that won't.

I also use a program (also available through the app store) called Tag Editor, that has both a freeware version and a paid (steep $19.99) version. Lots of music out there from Apple, Amazon, etc., has erroneous MP3 metadata that will play games with how stuff displays & sorts on MIB2, and this little utility makes it easy to fix.

Bottom line: my 300 or so albums are all on my SD card and everything works 100% perfectly - artwork, playlists, everything. And keeping it all that way is easy now moving forward, once I got all the initial kinks ironed out (metadata & artwork issues).