GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #69
TwinDad

Drives: 2016 sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
US Market DSGs are mainly DQ250s. DSG nomering is not the same as Manuals. DQ200s are rated at 250Nm while the DQ250s are rated for 350Nm. APR states slippage starts around 380lb/ft for the DQ250 in the Mk7. Interesting that the Mk7 R/Clubsport both have 280lb/ft ~ 30lb/ft over what the DQ250 was originally designed for, which proves VW did underrate them.

Blame the driver all you want, but things have mechanical limits. You can only exceed them for so long before they fault. Iíd say 60,000 miles with 130+lb/ft over the factory rating is pretty great!
I need to introduce you to my friend Chris
Old 01-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #70
Ironshade

Drives: 2015 GSW 1.8tsi 5MT APRis20+jb4. Powaaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
I need to introduce you to my friend Chris
Lolololol
Ironshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #71
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
Is that a Sachs clutch?

Edit: Nvm, went back and read its SB.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #72
Blade3562

Drives: 2015 Golf LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Is that a Sachs clutch?

Edit: Nvm, went back and read its SB.
Southbend stage 3 Endurance. Didn't go stage 3 drag due to complaints of excessive drivetrain wear. Also it's not listed in the directions, but you need to clean the flywheel. It has a protective coating/film to prevent rust in transit. It's oil based and would definitely cause premature clutch wear.

I've driven a sachs drop in clutch 1.8T mk7 and it felt much better than stock. I believe HS Tuning is finalizing the kit at the moment. I just prefer single mass flywheels.
Blade3562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #73
Blade3562

Well I'm almost done. I have maybe 7-8 hours of work in on the swap. The rest of the time has just been fiddling around. If you've done a brake job you can do the clutch yourself. It's actually not much different from doing a Mk1 trans removal. In fact it may have been easier.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #74
MeltedSolid

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSI Launch Edition
That's good to know! VW really put effort into making sure this car can be worked on, something too many engineers these days are slacking off on.
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe
MeltedSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #75
Ironshade

Drives: 2015 GSW 1.8tsi 5MT APRis20+jb4. Powaaa
Took me about 6h to do clutch and RMS in my car. Southbend stg2 E. Took 2h to drop trans and remove clutch/flywheel. Then 4 to do RMS and lign the stupid think back in there.
Ironshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #76
Blade3562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshade View Post
Took me about 6h to do clutch and RMS in my car. Southbend stg2 E. Took 2h to drop trans and remove clutch/flywheel. Then 4 to do RMS and lign the stupid think back in there.
I'm lucky my RMS showed no signs of leaking/wear/damage. The hardest part for me was I tried to leave the axles in like I would on a Mk1-3, but there's not room with how the subframe is designed. Burned an hour or so trying to figure out what I was getting caught on. Add to that my rear motor mount fork was seized, dissimilar metals, so I had to fight that stupid thing too. I'm ready for the next time though. It should only take me a few hours the next time.

My main concern is the shift pattern feels awkward with this new transmission. I may need to adjust the cable lengths or rotate the cable bracket? Maybe I just need the 42dd cable ends? It feels like the shift pattern is rotated a couple degrees to the right. I have all the gears, but it just seems awkward. I'll take a video.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #77
Blade3562

Just an update, I did not open the case and returned it for the core charge due to the case damage. The gentleman at LKQ informed me it was indeed a differential failure, but he was not able to provide specifics. I highly doubt teeth within the differential failed so it is safe to assume it was either ring gear rivet failure or the ring gear mounting flange snapped similar to 02J Mk4s. Upgrading to an LSD would have prevented this. Oh well you live and you learn.

In other news my bearings get here tomorrow and I'll finally have a review of the clutch in the real world! Cannot wait! It feels great now that we bled it, a little on the heavy side, but that's ok!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #78
MeltedSolid

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSI Launch Edition
That's useful! I am aware of a total of 1 data point, yours, but if it's just the diff that can't handle the power and not the whole transmission that's good news. It's just too bad that the diff blowing also involved the whole transmission being scrapped. I guess that's the down side of a transaxle.
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe
MeltedSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #79
Blade3562

Well 4 months and 8ish days later I finally got to take it for a spin. Even though the weather absolutely sucked I couldnít resist. It feels like an entirely different car. I can tell the slave cylinder needs bled a bit more and the clutch needs broken/run in. Anyone considering an aftermarket clutch I would highly recommend southbend as Iím blown away by how great it drives/feels. No chatter, better clutch pedal feel without being too heavy and exponentially better clutch engagement. Canít wait for the nicer weather to really drive it and to hit the track! If I wasnít planning on a sequential gearbox I would have done the 6 speed swap. Iíll continue gathering information/part numbers for the 6 speed swap as Iíll be helping a friend swap his FWD Sportwagen to a 6 Speed this year! Any questions/part numbers feel free to ask.

I also have the OEM side-side metal shift lever and 42DD bushings en route to tighten up the last loose cable bits!