GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REV9 Intercooler

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion

Yeah, any direct fit/factory mount unit should fit. (I will say, with some work, any unit should fit. many or most of the budget units require some slight modifications and trimming of stuff to actually get mounted, but YMMV and I'm not sure why)

It's the front mounts that will give DAP issues.

Any reason you're preferring the rev9 to the magic/majesty/harperformance/any other option? No judgement, it's an honest question, I would think cost to be the primary motivator, and there are less expensive options.

It's a lot of work to swap the IC. For the couple hundred bucks difference, I dunno if it's worth trying to save... what .... 3 bills or so on the budget rev9 vs a more premium unit.

Now, if you were going to buy something like the attached package, that's a little more of an understandable budget move.

Last edited:

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, any direct fit/factory mount unit should fit. (I will say, with some work, any unit should fit. many or most of the budget units require some slight modifications and trimming of stuff to actually get mounted, but YMMV and I'm not sure why)

It's the front mounts that will give DAP issues.

Any reason you're preferring the rev9 to the magic/majesty/harperformance/any other option? No judgement, it's an honest question, I would think cost to be the primary motivator, and there are less expensive options.

It's a lot of work to swap the IC. For the couple hundred bucks difference, I dunno if it's worth trying to save... what .... 3 bills or so on the budget rev9 vs a more premium unit.

Now, if you were going to buy something like the attached package, that's a little more of an understandable budget move.

This intercooler looks like a tube-fin instead of the more desirable bar-plate. I have the majestry IC and that one is bar-plate. Killer deal though with catted downpipe. I paid that much for the dp alone from CTS, and that was when it was on sale.

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the replies. I decided to go with Rev9 because a buddy had a new one I could snag cheap (like $200). I just posted the link, because that's the one he said that he had. I may upgrade later if this one doesn't perform as well as I'd like, but for $200 I think it'll work. I live in Hawaii, so temps hover around 80 to 90 most of the year, and I don't track. So, hopefully this will tick all of the boxes.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
2 Bill's is a total score. Nicely done.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Pretty good. How could that possibly fail?

My cousin's babysitter's best friend's mescalin dealer (okay okay fine... it was my mescalin dealer) told me about a guy who could run his car for a year using only the energy from a single cup of water.

When I tried to research his system, I was shocked to learn that "they" had erased all traces of his existence. Best be careful, or "they" could come for you and the perpetual cooling machine.
too.

Last edited:

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Did anyone with the Rev9 intercooler have trouble installing? The shop I took it to is saying that it won't line up. They said the intercooler is about a half an inch too tall... I'm on my way to look at it now.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Majority of Chinese made ics need some trimming and adjusting to fit.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
You should put an sos in the majesty thread for advice

And/or private messages to anyone who has successfully installed one.

Probably don't want to get stuck paying a shop to experiment when there's lots of experience getting these things to fit.

What did you see at the shop?

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
You should put an sos in the majesty thread for advice

And/or private messages to anyone who has successfully installed one.

Probably don't want to get stuck paying a shop to experiment when there's lots of experience getting these things to fit.

What did you see at the shop?

Everything worked out fine, and they didn't charge me any extra. The problem was that the shop I took it to was a JDM shop, and they hadn't done any work on GTIs before. I was trying to be helpful when I dropped the car off and showed them the ShopDap intercooler install video. They were confused when the intercooler didn't come with the same brackets as the Revo intercooler in the video.

It's one of the parts that sucks about living on an island in the middle of the Pacific. Most euro shops are insanely expensive. The cheapest euro shop I could find for the install wanted $600 for the install, "as long as they don't run into any problems." That's 3x what I paid for the intercooler. But yeah, when I got to the shop they had figured it out, and were about to start putting everything back together. I looked it over, and the guy gave me a "Shoots Bruddah" and buttoned everything up.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Very good news. Sacrifices to live where you do, for sure. (If you're a fan, I just saw vids and read stories about bj penn... my condolences if so)

Hey, Sem Motorsports is a world renowned shop, they even designed manufactured and sold high end custom intakes, internationally used on the best 1.8ts of the mk4 era, and Pfaff tuning is housed in the garage attached to Toronto's McLaren dealership. Truly two incredible shops for vee dubs.

I'll trade you SEM motorsports for your January and Pfaff Tuning for your February?

Glad to hear that the ic went in without too much additional trouble, and that the shop didn't charge you an aggravation tax.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The Magic/Majesty $300 special needs a little trimming on the radiator pegs, some occasional knockdown of material around where the peg goes in and you have to make straps/brackets for the top A/C condenser thingamajigs.

Fitting it was a PITA and a name brand IC would have probably saved me 1-2 hours.

The whole install was a bear and took a while.

Would I have done it all over again? Hell yeah.

I was looking at $900-$1,000 for the APR or Wagner + $550 for install.

I was able to get a good flowing intercooler for $300 and 6 hours of my time.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Debating between this and Unitronic. About $400 difference. Going to have a shop install, but don't want an extra 3 hours of labor to make it fit. Seems like the Rev9 has fewer fitment issues than the Magic. I've read the whole thread, but just want to get opinions.

Also, just saw v2 Rev9 intercooler on eBay. Anyone know the difference?