GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipes with the best balance

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I love a good "well I'd never buy one, but here's my opinion" discussion.

Things cost money, some things cost more money, some people see value in those things. If you don't, there are other things that cost less money. You should buy those. No reason to treat all things that cost more money like they are overpriced for everyone, just because they are to you.

My 0.02 on the 034 pipe? I think it's on the high end of reasonably priced for what it offers and would highly consider purchasing one on sale. Cast inlet, large diameter high quality cat, from a well respected company, I like all those things.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Likewise many people here are fine to pay the premium for AWEs products.

I know... I never said you shouldn't if you want to... lol

nate704

Go Kart Champion
If you don't mind CEL = go with the cheapest DP
If you don't want CEL = AWE or whoever guarantees no cel.

can we lock this thread please? Same argument from the same guys again and again and again.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
If you don't mind CEL = go with the cheapest DP
If you don't want CEL = AWE or whoever guarantees no cel.

can we lock this thread, please? Same argument from the same guys again and again and again.

Who cares if the DP guarantees no CEL or not? It's a moot point. If you don't want CEL just get a tune... Which people should be doing anyway after installing a downpipe.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Who cares if the DP guarantees no CEL or not? It's a moot point. If you don't want CEL just get a tune... Which people should be doing anyway after installing a downpipe.

You will see a long list of threads regarding "which spacer to use?" or CEL free DP?
Also, you don't care about the CEL, so get any cheap DP that you like.
and if you read much,
some states require no cel to pass the inspection, and stage 2 tunes (most of them) cannot pass the inspection.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
You will see a long list of threads regarding "which spacer to use?" or CEL free DP?
Also, you don't care about the CEL, so get any cheap DP that you like.
and if you read much,
some states require no cel to pass the inspection, and stage 2 tunes (most of them) cannot pass the inspection.

My ED tune eliminated CEL. If your state won't pass inspection on a car with Stg 2 tune probably shouldn't be modifying the car. My car ran 14.1-14.2 in the quarter mile stock. With a DP and no tune I ran 13.9sec. I guess if people want to spend $1200 for marginal performance and possibly making their cars unable to pass inspection that's their right to do so.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
My ED tune eliminated CEL. If your state won't pass inspection on a car with Stg 2 tune probably shouldn't be modifying the car. My car ran 14.1-14.2 in the quarter mile stock. With a DP and no tune I ran 13.9sec. I guess if people want to spend $1200 for marginal performance and possibly making their cars unable to pass inspection that's their right to do so.
Yea, anyone in a CARB State (that adhere to California's regulations) is going to have a hard time, even with some stage 1 tunes.

While most do a non-invasive OBD2 check, all stage 2 tunes, and many stage 1 tunes (like my Uni) turn off two or three of the emissions self-checks built into the ECU. Usually they turn off the second O2 sensor, not sure about the others.

To pass CARB you have to have the second O2 check, but you can fail any other 2 of 7 (IIRC).

A stage 2 car removes that O2 sensor, so your only option is to swap the stock downpipe back on.

It might actually be the first O2 sensor, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
It might actually be the first O2 sensor, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's the secondary one on the downpipe. The primary sensor is the wideband installed on the turbo. Car won't run without that...

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I'm quite happy with my AMS downpipe and it looks amazing too! They use a GESI 300 cell catalytic converter just FYI.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Yea, anyone in a CARB State (that adhere to California's regulations) is going to have a hard time, even with some stage 1 tunes.

While most do a non-invasive OBD2 check, all stage 2 tunes, and many stage 1 tunes (like my Uni) turn off two or three of the emissions self-checks built into the ECU. Usually they turn off the second O2 sensor, not sure about the others.

To pass CARB you have to have the second O2 check, but you can fail any other 2 of 7 (IIRC).

A stage 2 car removes that O2 sensor, so your only option is to swap the stock downpipe back on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Do you know which tunes off the top of your head only disable 1 check? In Ontario where i am you're allowed to have any 1 fail readiness but 2+ is an instant fail. Just curious.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Do you know which tunes off the top of your head only disable 1 check? In Ontario where i am you're allowed to have any 1 fail readiness but 2+ is an instant fail. Just curious.

This isn't something openly shared by tuning companies because it is at the core a (US) Federal offense to disable emissions equipment. How a tuning company removes a CEL from an aftermarket downpipes is really only known by the tuners themselves. A lot of people have guessed though based on a Smog Test, etc.