GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hankook tyres - original fitting?

bertj

Ready to race!
I've traded in my Mk 6 for a very low mileage Mk.7 SE tdi 150bhp, (9 month old); I collect it on Wednesday. I was very surprised to see that it has Hankook tyres. Can anyone confirm that these are original fittings? TBH that was the only thing that put me off the car as all my previous VW's came with Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. tyres. As I'm not familiar with Hankook tyres I'd also be very grateful for comments about them. I'm afraid I didn't notice what type of Hankook tyres are fitted to the car. Also, when I test drove the car, I found the steering slightly 'twitchy' on straight roads compared to my Mk.6
Thanks.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
There are several mentions of this already, this poll covers OEM tyres fitted. Yes, Hankooks are a standard fitting but wouldn't be my choice but which tyres you get on a new Volkswagen is a complete lottery based upon what is on the line on the day your car is produced.

If it were mine I'd be changing the tyres.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Hankook is a Korean brand that has a rather large presence in Europe. I have these Made-in-Hungary Hankooks on mine, to say that they are awful is pretty much an understatement.

I really don't wish to sound so negative, but IMHO tyres play a very important part to the driving experience. As much as I love the drive of my MK7, the noise and bumpiness from the Hankooks are getting on my nerves.

I will be ordering a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT very soon.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Sorry about that.

But do not let this detract you from enjoying the car. The demonstrator I test-drove before I made the purchase had Continental CPC5s on and it was quite different from what I have now.

Tyres, afterall, are consumable items and at least they are something that can be (and must be at regular intervals) changed. It can only get better!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'd have no hesitation in going for Contis/Michelin/Pirelli and would have been happy with any of these, but getting the Contis was pure chance but exactly what I wanted, I love them.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Did you also know that the space saver spare tyre is the exact same brand as whatever is fitted on your car?

Then again, the spare is something you hope you never need.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I didn't - but I haven't checked it. As you say it's something you know is there but hope not to use. I carry a Continental puncture sealant/pump thingy and would probably use it rather than the spare as I find changing wheels next to impossible owing to arthritic hands.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Did you also know that the space saver spare tyre is the exact same brand as whatever is fitted on your car?

Then again, the spare is something you hope you never need.

Not quite correct , its whatever VW have for production at the time.

My space saver is a Hankook and the fitted tyres are Dunlop.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Could be a lifesaver, the sealant kit!

In traffic, bad weather and the likes, changing a flat is the last thing you want to do...

MisterB

Ready to race!
Not quite correct , its whatever VW have for production at the time.

My space saver is a Hankook and the fitted tyres are Dunlop.
Oops, my bad!

Just because my tyres are Hankook and the spare is also the same, I assumed that to be the case. Thanks for the clarifications! ;)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Exactly, plus on our narrow Scottish roads it's often difficult to find somewhere to pull off safely. Luckily the modern tyre sealants are water soluble so not like the old days when the tyre was effectively a write-off if you use the sealant. The Volkswagen/Audi or Continental kits can be found on ebaY pretty cheaply, certainly far cheaper than from the dealers.

ebay = VAG Tyre repair kit

ebaY = Conti Comfort Tyre Repair Kit

JCJ

Ready to race!
My MK7 did have Hankook tyres and they are the worst tyres I have ever had on any car. They wore extremely quickly meaning I had to pay for replacements much sooner than I have ever had on any new car EVER!

VW sales promised me that my MK7 GT would not have Hankook tyres. I am really worried now that they will be on my new car.

Can I refuse car or demand different tyres be fitted if?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I had told my dealer that I wouldn't accept my car if fitted with Hankooks - luckily it came with Contis so I didn't have to put this to the test. I'm not sure if VW sales can actually influence this in any way, but I suppose you might be able to persuade your dealer to change the tyres.

Of those who bothered to respond to my poll, only 18.4% of cars were fitted with Hankooks, so the odds are against you getting them. As your car on order will have 17" wheels, I'd say this lessens the odds even more.

Has anyone with a GT/17" wheels got Hankook tyres?

MisterB

Ready to race!
My MK7 did have Hankook tyres and they are the worst tyres I have ever had on any car. They wore extremely quickly meaning I had to pay for replacements much sooner than I have ever had on any new car EVER!

VW sales promised me that my MK7 GT would not have Hankook tyres. I am really worried now that they will be on my new car.

Can I refuse car or demand different tyres be fitted if?

It is rather unlikely that you will get Hankooks on 17" wheels. I see them on Golfs and Jettas running on 205/55 R16.

My guess is either Michelin or Dunlop. And I hope you get these! Good luck.