GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Schwaben vs off brand oil extractor

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Looking at eBay there are identical fluid extractors for around $40 vs $80 at ECS tuning. Can anyone to speak to functional differences between them? My gut feeling is the schwaben is just the $40 one with some branding applied.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I can't speak about the mechanical or functional differences between them.

I've go the Schwaben 6.5L and its worked well so far. Used it twice with no issues. It feels pretty well built. One thing that it has that I haven't seen on others is the metal wire in the hoses to prevent kinking.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I can't speak about the mechanical or functional differences between them.

I've go the Schwaben 6.5L and its worked well so far. Used it twice with no issues. It feels pretty well built. One thing that it has that I haven't seen on others is the metal wire in the hoses to prevent kinking.

It might be worth it to pay a little more for the brand in this instance then. I just got a schwaben torque wrench and spark plug socket from ECS, seems higher than average quality for Chinese made hand tools.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I have the schwaben and used it 3 times so far, no issues. Definitely recommend for easy oil changes.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I use a Sealey that looks Identical to the Schwaben 6.5Land had no issues also.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
If you buy the ebay version it might cost you $120.00 to get a good fluid extractor because you'll have to buy the Schwaben anyway. Coincidently I used mine for the first time yesterday. Normally changing your oil is dirty, messy, pain in the ass job but I am "very" impressed with how clean, fast and easy this new way is.

I would pay the extra $40.00. Less chance for regret if you spend a little extra on your tools...

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
If you buy the ebay version it might cost you $120.00 to get a good fluid extractor because you'll have to buy the Schwaben anyway. Coincidently I used mine for the first time yesterday. Normally changing your oil is dirty, messy, pain in the ass job but I am "very" impressed with how clean, fast and easy this new way is.

I would pay the extra $40.00. Less chance for regret if you spend a little extra on your tools...

Yeah I am really looking forward to this. No excuse to not do the change.. what a crazy easy job.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I bought a Powerbuilt Fluidextractor from the local auto store. Changed oil twice with no issues.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I prefer a flat head screw driver for $2 and drain the oil the old fashioned way, call me old school I guess

Back in my day we had to run the 2 stroke carbs uphill in the snow both ways!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I got the Schwaben from ECS on sale for 15% off (came to $67.96). If you are on their mailing list, they send the deals out via email all the time.

Anyone concerned about leaving the dirtiest oil in the bottom of the pan?

I haven't used mine yet, but this would be my concern on using it all the time. I may only use it for every other change (I plan change at 5-7.5k intervals).

I've heard mixed reviews on the amount that can be extracted. Here is some info I have gleaned by researching on the 'net:

1) One guy reported that he opened the drain plug and still got 4 to 5 oz out after he used his extractor.
2) Supposedly, extractors are used at many VW dealerships. If this is a concern for anyone, you might want to ask the dealer about their method.
3) One guy claims that you should not push the extraction tube further after you feel the first resistance. If you do, it will curl up a bit and won't do a good job extracting all the oil.
4) Some say to loosen the oil filter a bit to get more to drain down. Not sure I follow this logic if the filler cap is open as well, but who knows.
5) Some say you need the car to be on a slight incline (front up) to be able to extract most of the oil out.