GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I was bored and found this online virtualdyno.net lol , seems like kinda close lol. log 21 is stock map, and log 19 was a 17 PSI map.

Wow that got me interested, I was skeptical but upon researching it, that software is surprisingly accurate, within 3%+/-.

It all depends on the road conditions from what I’ve read... so if you always log at the same spot it may be helpful. I’d be curious to see someone on here whose actually had their car on a dyno to stick a log in there to see how it compares!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
i just set it as this and ill test tomorrow.
1500 12
2000 13
2500 15
3000 19
3500 20
4000 20
4500 17
5000 17
5500 16
6000 15
6500 15
7000 15

boost failsafe 23 PSI
Max boost 1st 15
Max boost 2nd 19 (before this was set as 0 )
Max boost 3rd 0

Also pulling time always bad? , i see a max of like 1.2 on ign2 sometimes, is that considered bad?, i know 0 is the best to see , Im understanding the numbers more.
Also , im requesting 20 PSI on my settings but the log says only 19 PSI, won't it be better to change to 19 PSI on the settings? is it not targeting 20 PSI like it should, is it protecting the engine or something?

The timing pull is ign1. That's your actual advance. In map 4 you had as much as 16 degrees. In map 6 it's dropping off at the top end, one degree of timing will sometimes be worth more than a psi of boost. Also look at ign1 through the entire range and compare to map4. Wherever you see it drop more than 2 degrees from map 4, your boost need to be lowered at that point. There is a nanny on the JB4 that prevents you from going more than +10 psi. That's what you are experiencing. Based on your logs though, you don't need to be that high. You can't always go for boost, you really have to watch the timing as well. To give you an idea, I have the gutted cat and have ran a 3" downpipe. My max on those is around 19 psi peak tapering get to around 14 at 6,000. Those are what I actually hit. Not the target. On the stock downpipe I was around 16.5-17 max and around 12 at 6,000. I will see as high as 18.5 degrees advance with cool IAT. When it's warmer, I'm still getting 15-16 degrees by 6,000.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed in both of your map 6 logs right around 2300-2400rpm you have a big timing drop and in the 2nd one there is a boost curve very characteristic of a boost spike

Which value are you looking at that shows the big timing trop? ign_1?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Which value are you looking at that shows the big timing trop? ign_1?

Your map 6 is no good because you're not 100 on the pedal. Any pedal fluctuations will cause the timing to change a bunch. That's the only way to get true comparisons of the map 4 timing and map 6. IAT also need to be very close on both.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
whats the diff between pedal and throttle?

also, there's a very small amount of pedal variability on this one - https://datazap.me/u/mattkime/map-6?log=1&data=1-4-5-9

Your map 6 is no good because you're not 100 on the pedal. Any pedal fluctuations will cause the timing to change a bunch. That's the only way to get true comparisons of the map 4 timing and map 6. IAT also need to be very close on both.

Last edited:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
whats the diff between pedal and throttle?

Pedal is the pedal, but throttle is the actual valve in the intake that controls how much air the engine gets. With a cable throttle they are always the same, but we have a computer controlled throttle so they can be different.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
So is there a different result between throttle at 100 and pedal at 90 and throttle at 100 and pedal at 100?

Pedal is the pedal, but throttle is the actual valve in the intake that controls how much air the engine gets. With a cable throttle they are always the same, but we have a computer controlled throttle so they can be different.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
No. I think throttle can be 100% at like 85% pedal. But the ecu will change timing on the pedal. It knows your lifting. I've seen it affect lots of logs. Ask George