GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R As Daily Driver

Supercup

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I am looking for my next daily driver and am strongly considering the Golf R - but before I order a 2018 interested in feedback from the group who knows the R the best.

I drive 150 +/- miles per day 4-5 days per week, mostly freeway. I typically go 2 years and about 80k miles with each car. Interested in perspective on reliability, ride comfort, fun factor, mpg etc.

Past 3 DD's have been Panamera Turbo, then a Raptor and now and X5 5.0M - PTT was great but the depreciation due to the miles was like buying 2 Raptors and giving them away. Raptor (2014) was best truck I ever owned, only negative issue was fuel mileage at 12 mpg. Was about to buy Golf R after the Raptor and then got allocation for GT4 and felt they were too similar (GT4 was not be DD) - so I got X5 (lease return with only 13k miles) which now has about 55k on it a year later - X5 gets 18 mpg, ride of the M suspension is not the best, utility is great, motor is really good, but has high center of gravity, so not so much in the fun factor.

I recently have test driven Focus ST and RS, WRX, new Raptor, newer X5, 911 Turbo (would require trading GT4), SS Camaro, Chevy ZR2 Colorado, TRD Pro 4 Runner, Audi RS3, TTRS, S4 and S6 and VW GTI (still never driven an R).

Each had its strengths and challenges, but for the total package and the cost the GTI seems to check the most boxes. So the R seems it would meet all my needs/likes all the better, fun car, decent power, comfortable ride, good MPG, good utility etc.

Any comments on R as DD and why and why not would be appreciated.

Thanks

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I get 28 or 29ish mpg freeway and avg 26.6ish overall on my R if the fuel economy is what you're looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The only better car as a DAD than the golf r is the golf r wagon... Which we can't get. Other than that, R with DCC is a great DAD.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The ride is very firm if you run the tires at the recommended pressure. Lowering them 3 or 4 PSI makes a huge difference if you're not trying to take every tight turn at 60. Make sure the tires are cold and set to 39 when you test drive an R. Then bleed them down 3-4 PSI and drive it again.

SRoads

Ready to race!
You're in southern Comifornia. You don't need the AWD from the R. Save your cash for taxes and just go with a GTI with a stg 1 tune. You should easily be getting in the mid-30s hwy gas mileage if you keep it around 75 mph. If you drive more conservatively you could see upper 30s to even 40.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Why not a base Cayenne (even CPO)?

I like the R as a well-rounded daily driver; it's a fairly economical, quick, and comfortable sleeper that has decent back seats, a useful hatch, and AWD. The ride quality is not too harsh at all -- easier for distances than an STI or EVO or Focus RS and not at all like, say, a Lotus Elise on rough roads.

PS: I've driven a new GTI and found its easy loss of traction --even on dry roads -- annoying.

Last edited:

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
What do you do to drive that much? I daily drive the R and love it. The ride can be harsh, but the car makes up for it big time.

If you care what people think of your ride, then I wouldn't go with it. No one knows what we drive. Your other cars are flashy for sure.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
R’s a great, subtle daily driver. It completely flies under the radar except to other R drivers and the occasional educated car enthusiast. If ya want flash look elsewhere. If ya want subtle with the ability to punch way above its “weight class” a stage 1/2 dsg R is great. With DCC, I think the ride is wonderful even on 19’s and rubber bands for tires, just gotta watch for potholes, no I mean it, really watch for potholes :)

I use my '17 R as a DD, though these days it's only about 30 miles per day. Very little highway, and get maybe 23mpg. Could get more if I cared to ;) The DCC suspension is quite nice, I keep it on Comfort lately as about 70% of my daily drive right now is construction zone. Plus the speed bumps in my subdivision are an absolute killer. I had a '12 GTI, and I do not regret the decision to get the R. Though you'd get MUCH better MPG with a GTI.

Money doesn't seem to be an issue for you, so maybe the MPG difference isn't high on your list, although you do mention mileage a couple times. The GTI will easily get 5+ more MPG (probably more, I'd think 38 on the hwy is attainable with an Mk7), but obviously not AWD. While the weather here in the Atlanta area isn't quite SoCal caliber, I obviously don't NEED the AWD, but am not unhappy I upgraded. I'm too close to Tail of the Dragon to not have AWD ;)

People are mixed on long-term seat comfort. I am 6'8", 340lbs, and was very comfortable driving the R 800 miles to MI and then back again in July. Other people, some large, some small, seem to never be able to get comfortable. May want to make sure you are comfortable in the seats before committing.

As long as you understand this is a VERY understated vehicle (far cry from your other mentioned vehicles), I don't think you can go wrong with either for a fun DD.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Damn, I’m 6’4” 210 and thought I was on the bigger side for an R. I’m perfectly comfortable but I can’t believe 6’8” 340 is lol. Nice to know I still can grow and be comfy :)

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I DD my R about 350 miles a week. Great DD and I get 28 mpg consistently (based on manual fill up to fill up calculations).

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
11k miles since April on my R... its a great DD... i run it with adaptive cruise mostly and then when I want to drive it more spirited I drop it into race mode on the DCC and get to put a big grin on my face.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Wow. You really depreciate out a car quickly with your commute.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Wow. You really depreciate out a car quickly with your commute.

our golfs are not collectable or antique, so your resale value or trade in value doesn't get affected much at all since dealers will offer you the lowest possible trade in value for your 10k mile car vs. 60k mile car with the same MY.