GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New R owner! 2017 oryx white....

mhouck

Passed Driver's Ed
Man, I love my GTI, but I absolutely am in love with that Oryx White R. I'm kinda having some R envy lately.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Mechanically true... However, there are some small differences between the two years:

https://youtu.be/uKs3b0S7Kfs

If you have DAP on a 2016, it's wheels, the HBA is activated, and the rear view mirror is different. You can activate HBA yourself so it's only the wheels and mirror. There is also an issue with 2017's where some module channels aren't available to tweak. Many consider the 2016 "better" for this reason.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
If you have DAP on a 2016, it's wheels, the HBA is activated, and the rear view mirror is different. You can activate HBA yourself so it's only the wheels and mirror. There is also an issue with 2017's where some module channels aren't available to tweak. Many consider the 2016 "better" for this reason.
Good to know. I've been eyeing the 2016s since they have been several thousand less than the used 2017s. We shall see if I can find a good deal on one. Otherwise I'm still very happy with my GTI :)

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The backup camera screen is slightly different in operation also, 16 shows the grey imprint of car and sensor range on it in reverse, 17s do not. On 16s you can make it go away on 17s you can make it appear. Not a big deal. Also the head unit displays a red line on the bottom of it on 16s on 17s it’s blue, and 17s have the performance pages most 16s do not. A few minor differences, but mainly the wheels, at least US spec, Pretoria’s instead of Cadiz and the rear view mirror is way nicer looking on the 17s as mentioned earlier.

tinymusic

Love all this excitement! I have the same car in black, and I can relate! Haven't been this engaged by a vehicle's "character" since my first E30 at 19. It really does have a very soulful feel and behavior. Enjoy! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwauug

Ready to race!
Love all this excitement! I have the same car in black, and I can relate! Haven't been this engaged by a vehicle's "character" since my first E30 at 19. It really does have a very soulful feel and behavior. Enjoy! [emoji106]

Awesome. Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

76brasilia

Have the same car!

So far I did: ceramic tint 35%, install spare tire kit, and change few features with OBDeleven. Nothing else planned for now, however, I did schedule a whole day High Performance Driving Course @ Portland International Raceway. I also received F1 tickets for next month's race in Austin. I love my wife!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

tinymusic

Have the same car!

So far I did: ceramic tint 35%, install spare tire kit, and change few features with OBDeleven. Nothing else planned for now, however, I did schedule a whole day High Performance Driving Course @ Portland International Raceway. I also received F1 tickets for next month's race in Austin. I love my wife!

Looks great! Thanks for posting that picture, I'm considering a similar tint but don't want to end up too dark.

76brasilia

Looks great! Thanks for posting that picture, I'm considering a similar tint but don't want to end up too dark.

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised when it was finished lol. I'll post outside pix after washing later, maybe in a separate thread.

To OP, congrats! The car looks great.

vwauug

Ready to race!
Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised when it was finished lol. I'll post outside pix after washing later, maybe in a separate thread.

To OP, congrats! The car looks great.

[emoji106] thanks!!!

I just got 35% all around (pinnacle formula 1 tint). Looks amazing and very happy with during the heat spell in Chicago!

I also did the armrest mod and picked up some VW rotary wheels for my winter set-up. Otherwise led tails is next!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Nice pics OP! I have the 2016 Oryx manual, DCC, no DAP.

So far, I have gone high output APR Stage 1, ECS Flush kit wheel spacers, tinted windows, S3 Resonator delete, ECO Hitch 1.25 inch receiver, and full ECS Manual Transmission Upgrade kit (short shifter, counter weights, bushings, etc)

Keep us posted with mods!

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Nice pics OP! I have the 2016 Oryx manual, DCC, no DAP.

So far, I have gone high output APR Stage 1, ECS Flush kit wheel spacers, tinted windows, S3 Resonator delete, ECO Hitch 1.25 inch receiver, and full ECS Manual Transmission Upgrade kit (short shifter, counter weights, bushings, etc)

Keep us posted with mods!

Hatcher, what do you think about the ECS Flush k'it? I was thinking about putting it on my '17 R.

Also, I've heard that the R's come with a standard 7% tint so the 35% would be like 42% if it was checked. Passing along that tidbit...

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Hatcher, what do you think about the ECS Flush k'it? I was thinking about putting it on my '17 R.

Also, I've heard that the R's come with a standard 7% tint so the 35% would be like 42% if it was checked. Passing along that tidbit...

Hi ElmoProjector.. I believe the tint I got was 30% with 20% on the rear (lower % is darker).

As for the Flush Kit, I HIGHLY recommend it if you like your stock wheels. There are photos of it online, but if you want a particular angle, let me know and I'll take a quick phone pic. The car looks SO much better with the spacers.

vwauug

Ready to race!

Thanks! Also thanks for adding some more mods to my list!

So far, 35% tint all around (looks amazing on the Oryx), center console mod (used the ECS kit plus 3M tape for quiet operation).

I have the vw rotary wheels in anthracite for my winter setup( just need to slip the rubber on).

MK7 Led tails, BEC harness, and euro light switch all on order.

I like the flush kit and short shifter (was thinking APR ss kit). I also plan to do APR stage 1. That’s about it [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro