GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI JB4 1/4 mile time

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
What tires are you running?

If your asking me, I want to get a pair of Nitto NT05 235/40R18 ...if I can make myself cough up the $$, along with $ for one more Austin rim (have 1 extra already). Then just swap out the 2 fronts for the runs, and swap back the 2 all- seasons for the impending winter.

Not getting a ton of wheel spin at launch (when I practice in Mexico), probably due to JB4 Map 2 less boost down low. But I'd still lose at least a tenth on the crappy all-seasons, no doubt. The other thing is that after "advising" others on this forum to use slicks or drag radials when they drag race (not that they needed my input), how bad would I look by not taking my own advice? If I cheap out and run on the oems, I expect to get called on the carpet here. Unless no one gives a sht, which in this case would be better :D

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
If your asking me, I want to get a pair of Nitto NT05 235/40R18 ...if I can make myself cough up the $$, along with $ for one more Austin rim (have 1 extra already). Then just swap out the 2 fronts for the runs, and swap back the 2 all- seasons for the impending winter.

Not getting a ton of wheel spin at launch (when I practice in Mexico), probably due to JB4 Map 2 less boost down low. But I'd still lose at least a tenth on the crappy all-seasons, no doubt. The other thing is that after "advising" others on this forum to use slicks or drag radials when they drag race (not that they needed my input), how bad would I look by not taking my own advice? If I cheap out and run on the oems, I expect to get called on the carpet here. Unless no one gives a sht, which in this case would be better :D

You'd be better off with a smaller wheel, less weight and more sidewall to bite into the ground. If you have the PP I think 17 is the smallest that fits though... non PP can fit a 15

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
You make good points. Just that I've already got the extra Austin. I've read some reviews of the Nittos, don't recall if they were 17s or 18s, but they hooked well. Review said to do a heavy burnout on them. Oh sht, just remembered...potential wheel hop. That could be a disaster on the Nittos. Eh, better budget for a dogbone too...:( $$$

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I am running the stock Bridgestone all seasons. The track I go to is in St. Louis. My 60 was 2.59 and I trapped @97.7 MPH. I know the stock tires suck, but I have seen many other people who are in the 13s with the JB1/JB4 on stock tires. Maybe the track was just prepped poorly? I really would have thought the car would be faster. My trap speed was also very low compared to others. Next time I go to the track I will have to do a run with the tune off and compare my results. My car is also a DSG so I was using launch control. Ill try feathering the throttle next time. I only got in 3 runs when I went.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
You make good points. Just that I've already got the extra Austin. I've read some reviews of the Nittos, don't recall if they were 17s or 18s, but they hooked well. Review said to do a heavy burnout on them. Oh sht, just remembered...potential wheel hop. That could be a disaster on the Nittos. Eh, better budget for a dogbone too...:( $$$

Are those regular street tires or DOT slicks? Typically you have a short or no burnout on street tires because they'll turn greasy at high temp

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Are those regular street tires or DOT slicks? Typically you have a short or no burnout on street tires because they'll turn greasy at high temp

Good question. People use them as a super-sticky radial for road course and drag strip. They are much stickier than Michelin SS and that type of tire, but they don't last nearly as long. You are right about the burnout on most radials, but these need to be heated. They are not supposed to get greasy. But that's only what I read on these here internets. So it's got to be true, right? Anyway, if I buy a pair, I'll report my experience with them. Perhaps others will do the same.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I am running the stock Bridgestone all seasons. The track I go to is in St. Louis. My 60 was 2.59 and I trapped @97.7 MPH. I know the stock tires suck, but I have seen many other people who are in the 13s with the JB1/JB4 on stock tires. Maybe the track was just prepped poorly? I really would have thought the car would be faster. My trap speed was also very low compared to others. Next time I go to the track I will have to do a run with the tune off and compare my results. My car is also a DSG so I was using launch control. Ill try feathering the throttle next time. I only got in 3 runs when I went.

Cool. Also use e30 if available. Run with 28lbs psi in front tires...I think. U better check that. The drag masters here will know. Search it. *disclaimer: Run with lower tire pressure at your own risk.

I don't think there is much risk at 28lbs but wtfdik? Sht Happens.