GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABSOLUTE RIPOFF or Am I Wrong?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
The shop is USPMotorsports lol. Labor was waived. I just paid for the tune. I think you're right, it's technically a rip off, but labor is a lot of work and most shops know they can charge this.

Lucky you. I got raped on the labor and really no choice due to Apr's policy

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Why is it a rip-off if you are unwilling or unable to do it yourself?

If you spend 4-5 hours underneath a car you would want to be compensated for what your time is worth.

Throw in mechanical experience and there is your $508 install cost.

Yeah, you can maybe shop around and save a hundred quid if you are inclined. But then you just spent a couple of hours digging for it.

I just think the attitude that things should be at some personal price point & doesn't match your expectations esp. when you don't know what's involved is not realistic. Installation knowledge & actual experience is pretty price inelastic.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Why is it a rip-off if you are unwilling or unable to do it yourself?

If you spend 4-5 hours underneath a car you would want to be compensated for what your time is worth.

Throw in mechanical experience and there is your $508 install cost.

Yeah, you can maybe shop around and save a hundred quid if you are inclined. But then you just spent a couple of hours digging for it.

I just think the attitude that things should be at some personal price point & doesn't match your expectations esp. when you don't know what's involved is not realistic. Installation knowledge & actual experience is pretty price inelastic.

Either you're trolling or you just needed to vent some. I'm not asking to receive premium service for a cheap price. I'm asking whether $1200 of labor for springs and headlights is too steep a price. 4-5 hours of labors for springs? 4-5 hours of labor for headlights? I do have my personal price point and I'm willing to pay above that. Installation knowledge and actual experience is exactly why I went to a different shop and was quoted nearly $400 less. Take your clown attitude back to the newcomers forum. There you will find plenty of people to impose your "knowledge and actual experience" on.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
$150 hr shop rate around here at a high end shop, springs I could easily see them charging $600-800. However that shop also has Shelby Cobras, mustang fastbacks, Audi R8 .. RS5, 911 Turbos etc

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Either you're trolling or you just needed to vent some. I'm not asking to receive premium service for a cheap price. I'm asking whether $1200 of labor for springs and headlights is too steep a price. 4-5 hours of labors for springs? 4-5 hours of labor for headlights? I do have my personal price point and I'm willing to pay above that. Installation knowledge and actual experience is exactly why I went to a different shop and was quoted nearly $400 less. Take your clown attitude back to the newcomers forum. There you will find plenty of people to impose your "knowledge and actual experience" on.

Why the attack? You asked a question and he answered with no malice!

You pay for experience and knowledge he also may understand more than the other guy what maybe involved in the job and remember just because you're given a estimate doesn't mean that what the end price will be.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
You pay for experience and knowledge he also may understand more than the other guy what maybe involved in the job and remember just because you're given a estimate doesn't mean that what the end price will be.

Come on, experience and knowledge for a spring install? I will happily pay a premium for a tune, turbo install, or anything that involves potential complications. Charging 4-5 hours labor for a simple spring install at $125/hr is a bit much. Not saying that isn't near the going rate, at least it is in my area.

Still, the fact that there are guys out there willing to do it for $200-300 "after hours" or guys getting it done in 2.5 hours shows that its not necessarily a reflection of the actual labor involved. I respect auto techs, especially ones that know their shit, but there is nothing wrong with questioning labor time/rate if it seems excessive.

The headlight install price does seem high. The biggest chunk of the labor is removing the bumper cover, right? 4-5 hours? That one I would just do myself, shouldn't be too difficult.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
You guys know most shops get labor time from the same "book" (okay there are two AllData and Chilton) and it is created for us by the dealership, right? Now that doesn't mean all shops play by the rules and that's why its smart to shop around, or even if you have a trusted place just to double check.

That being said make sure you are being quoted for the exact work that needs to get done. For example when I give estimates (over the phone) it includes parts and labor, but some shops (mainly local dealers) will only give customers a quote for the labor. The customers hear this price difference and often will choose the dealership, where they then get "trapped" for an even higher cost once the part is included. Now most people would just leave, but in my area they have already taken the day off work or what have you (so they are "trapped" into getting the work done for a higher cost).

As others have said spring install sounds right depending on your local labor costs, but headlights do not sound right at all.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Come on, experience and knowledge for a spring install? I will happily pay a premium for a tune, turbo install, or anything that involves potential complications. Charging 4-5 hours labor for a simple spring install at $125/hr is a bit much. Not saying that isn't near the going rate, at least it is in my area.

Still, the fact that there are guys out there willing to do it for $200-300 "after hours" or guys getting it done in 2.5 hours shows that its not necessarily a reflection of the actual labor involved. I respect auto techs, especially ones that know their shit, but there is nothing wrong with questioning labor time/rate if it seems excessive.

The headlight install price does seem high. The biggest chunk of the labor is removing the bumper cover, right? 4-5 hours? That one I would just do myself, shouldn't be too difficult.

I agree with this. It should not take a shop...that knows how to install mk7 suspension four to five hours to do the job. My installer did the job in around 2.5 hours. He knew exactly what he was doing. No fumbling or trying to figure things out.

I think shops charge high prices is because well...people are willing to pay. I guess at the same time...if one doesn't have the ability, tools, or time to do the job themselves...they really have no choice.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have no clue where Weston is but I'm sure someone from the forum is near by.

I charge $200 for spring/coilover installs and would probably be about $80 for the headlights.

Ik you're not allowed to advertise here, so I'm not, but maybe another mechanic will see this and PM you willing to help. It's always helpful to include where you live (roughly) in your info...since Weston is in what state? Country?

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Take your clown attitude back to the newcomers forum. There you will find plenty of people to impose your "knowledge and actual experience" on.

I'm not the one with the problem.
Guess looking in the mirror must have lit you up
Always angry having to pay for everything cause you got zero mad skills.
So take your crying welfare seeking passive aggressiveness back to the alternate reality world where unicorns and candy canes are for babies like you.

Sure you'll get some friends to install with you...while you watch.
Lol@u - the real rip-off artist is you taco.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You guys know most shops get labor time from the same "book" (okay there are two AllData and Chilton) and it is created for us by the dealership, right? Now that doesn't mean all shops play by the rules and that's why its smart to shop around, or even if you have a trusted place just to double check.

That being said make sure you are being quoted for the exact work that needs to get done. For example when I give estimates (over the phone) it includes parts and labor, but some shops (mainly local dealers) will only give customers a quote for the labor. The customers hear this price difference and often will choose the dealership, where they then get "trapped" for an even higher cost once the part is included. Now most people would just leave, but in my area they have already taken the day off work or what have you (so they are "trapped" into getting the work done for a higher cost).

As others have said spring install sounds right depending on your local labor costs, but headlights do not sound right at all.

Also this ^^^^. Book time is how most quotes are done. It's that simple Book Time + Shop Rate = Cost of labor for any given job. Of course any big name shop or dealer is gonna charge $100 an hour or more. They have to cover expenses (payroll, healthcare, the shop itself, etc)

That's why if you can find a qualified mechanic to do it as side work you'll save a ton. For instance I charge $40 an hour and book time or a little less. It's good for me cuz it's a side job at home and it's good for the customer since it's $60+ an hour cheaper than a shop. VW Vortex or a local FB page might turn up a local mechanic. Or like others have said shop around in your free time, but still you need to realize they have way more overhead and charge accordingly

Tico63

Ready to race!
I'm not the one with the problem.
Guess looking in the mirror must have lit you up
Always angry having to pay for everything cause you got zero mad skills.
So take your crying welfare seeking passive aggressiveness back to the alternate reality world where unicorns and candy canes are for babies like you.

Sure you'll get some friends to install with you...while you watch.
Lol@u - the real rip-off artist is you taco.

Love you too cutie :) I think I found myself a girlfriend on these forums ❤

Last edited: