GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Someone tried removing GTI sideskirts

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

afman916

Ready to race!
DIY for $20.00. Took me about 20 pulls and about an hour of time. Little by little, worked the dent level again. Biggest advice is to make sure you clean the pull tab and car with alcohol very well each time and be patient.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEM4IPE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's awesome man, a million thanks, just made my day. Already ordered Fromm amazon - thank you Prime, see ya in two days. I'll probably PM younwith a few questions when I finally get around to this sometime in the next few weeks.

Those dents are hard to notice unless you're looking for them - but I know they're there and they bug the hell out of me. Pumped to have an inexpensive DIY solution instead of a $1,500 body shop bill. Even if they don't turn out perfect it'll be worlds better than it is now.

afman916

Ready to race!
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Here's what I'm dealing with - one larger one with a couple smaller ones per side. Think I'll be able to make it less noticeable with some patience?

afman916

Ready to race!
DIY for $20.00. Took me about 20 pulls and about an hour of time. Little by little, worked the dent level again. Biggest advice is to make sure you clean the pull tab and car with alcohol very well each time and be patient.

In the middle of giving this a go right now - any advice re: amount of glue you used, drying time, etc? My tab keeps releasing from the body instead of pulling the dent. Or what your approach was in general - work inwards or outwards from center of dent?

Mer2112

Passed Driver's Ed
In the middle of giving this a go right now - any advice re: amount of glue you used, drying time, etc? My tab keeps releasing from the body instead of pulling the dent. Or what your approach was in general - work inwards or outwards from center of dent?

Make sure you clean the car surface and pull tab really good each time with rubbing alcohol. Use a clean rag too. I put some in a spray bottle to make it easier.

Make sure the surface of the car isn't hot. Do it in a garage or in the shade. If it's too hot, it will pull right off.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
Have you used a Floor jack at all since having the car? Most of the time this happens when car is lifted and it's not padded

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
If this happens when lifting your car with a floor jack, you are jacking your car up incorrectly. Ive jacked my car up 20+ times and have never had this issue

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If this happens when lifting your car with a floor jack, you are jacking your car up incorrectly. Ive jacked my car up 20+ times and have never had this issue

The last post in this thread was 2 and 1/2 years ago.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
the side skirts clip in to a bracket, if you try to slide (toward front of car IIRC) should release side skirt, then you can realign and slide back on

This. I've had to remove mine after being damage with a jack. There is a bracket bolted to the car. The skirt used slide hooks to attach, then bolts at each end to keep it from moving.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
how does this happen?

It actually happens when people do what they're supposed to and search, but don't look at the date and decide to reply. I'm not upset about this one though, because I need to do this and couldn't find the thread haha. Adding a watch for future reference.