GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
New user, first post!

I'm shopping for a new car and the GTI is a very attractive option. While looking at the GTIs at a local dealership, I noticed the 2018 Tiguan and the new Atlas have 6-year/72k warranties. Is there any expectation that the new Golf/GTIs will have the same?

I've asked around, searched the web and thumbed through magazines and all anecdotal evidence so far says, "no".

I doubt the GTI/R will ever get a warranty period like that. I think mine is 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and 5yr/60K powertrain.

Seems like car manufacturers give those big warranties out to cars they're looking to peddle to the masses. The GTI/R will never appeal to the majority of drivers looking for something cheap that will get them from point A to B or something they can just lug the family in.

Robbb

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I have a sunroof on my Autobahn and I've problems with it. It started squeaking bad at 9000 miles. The dealer mostly fixed it under TSB. It will still squeak if you go over a big speed-bump sideways, really torquing the car. And the screen thingy rattles a bit, depending on where you've opened it to.

Pretty ridiculous design if you ask me. Auto makers have been making flawless, inside the roof-panel sunroofs for years. I've had lots of cars with sunroofs and never had an issue until I got the VW. Hell, even my old 97 Jetta had a sunroof, and it was perfect.

Anyway, I'd take an R, or even a base S without the sunroof before buying a GTI with their crap sunroof design.

I'll never own another car with a sun/moon roof for several reasons. For my squeak I had to open and close it every week to re-seat it and it was fine. If I left it closed for any length of time it would squeak too.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Is it possible to order an Autobahn without a sunroof?

Not that I know of. Entry level S, or jump all the way up to the R.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I haven't heard a peep from my sunroof.

My car is always garaged and I work from home so I don't know if that maters.

lokerola

Ready to race!
I haven't heard a peep from my sunroof.

My car is always garaged and I work from home so I don't know if that maters.

Mine was dead quiet for the first 9000 miles. Then it turned into a squeaky mess. Like I said, mostly fixed now. Creaks every now and then if you're going sideways over a speed bump or backing out of a driveway at an angle.

The sport comes without a sunroof or the new se for 18 is an option

Cool.

sixtyfour

I doubt the GTI/R will ever get a warranty period like that. I think mine is 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and 5yr/60K powertrain.

Seems like car manufacturers give those big warranties out to cars they're looking to peddle to the masses. The GTI/R will never appeal to the majority of drivers looking for something cheap that will get them from point A to B or something they can just lug the family in.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and pulled the trigger today. No more "Honda Civic" in my user profile :D

Madsedan

Made a detail on a 17 SE, manual tranny, advertised on autotrader for $25,450 but that didn't include the $1499 dealer adds so $27k plus TTL. They only had black, I didn't want black again so I am waiting for them to find a silver, white, or charcoal car from another dealer.
This went down on Monday and they gave me the new black one to drive as a loaner till they get one. It's hard to find a manual SE or Sport right now, VW is shipping more 17's in the area, Dallas. They found a silver one at a dealer this afternoon so I may be in the car by tomorrow.

Is $27k plus TTL a good price? It's about $5,500 off MSRP.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
New user, first post!

I'm shopping for a new car and the GTI is a very attractive option. While looking at the GTIs at a local dealership, I noticed the 2018 Tiguan and the new Atlas have 6-year/72k warranties. Is there any expectation that the new Golf/GTIs will have the same?

I've asked around, searched the web and thumbed through magazines and all anecdotal evidence so far says, "no".

So VW has extended this warranty across all segments.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Made a detail on a 17 SE, manual tranny, advertised on autotrader for $25,450 but that didn't include the $1499 dealer adds so $27k plus TTL. They only had black, I didn't want black again so I am waiting for them to find a silver, white, or charcoal car from another dealer.
This went down on Monday and they gave me the new black one to drive as a loaner till they get one. It's hard to find a manual SE or Sport right now, VW is shipping more 17's in the area, Dallas. They found a silver one at a dealer this afternoon so I may be in the car by tomorrow.

$27 OTD is a great price.. $27 + TTL is an ok price i'd think.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

You seen the 6 year/72K mile warranty on the 2018's? I'd get an 18. Unless of course you plan to mod before warranty is up anyway.