GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise from front when turning

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I had some clicking on my suspension, also with Eibachs, turned out my strut nuts were walking off. I had torqued them to spec on a wall mounted spring compressor too... Go figure. Shit roads I guess.

A little blue loctite and a torque wrench with the schwaben strut nut socket solved my problem. Was able to do it right through the strut tower too.

Probably not going to solve most of the issues here, but it's worth checking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

You just jacked up the car and torqued the nut to spec? didn't have to loosen anything first?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Awesome! Thank you very much. I'll check back here when I'm able to take a look.

EDIT: Is the socket 21mm or 22mm? I'm seeing both online.
OEM is 21, but many aftermarket struts use 22, I know Koni does. If you don't have the special 21mm socket for struts (to stop the piston and mount from rotating with the 7mm Allen), you can use a 13/16 spark plug socket for trucks at any car parts store. Just jam the Allen through the top and use a monkey wrench on the hex pattern on top of the spark plug socket.

Edit, mount not mouth, don't use your mouth to remove strut nuts [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JODZ

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My 2017 is bone stock in the Mods dept. But I've been having the same metallic click tick on both sides of my car when driving in my office parking garage. My car has been at the dealer for over a week and they can't find anything. They've already replaced tie rods, end links and the noise still persists. Does anyone know for sure if the wheel bearings are the culprit? Thanks for any help, Michael

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I love to revive an old thread but were the wheel bearings the main culprit for you guys?

Having a similar problem but mine is kind of a softer sound than a tick. More like a soft/muffled click with some small vibration in the pedal if you really feel for it. It's almost like a very soft CV click but the sound doesn't persist if the car isn't moving, unlike a CV issue. Also it only makes the sound once or twice. I doubt my warranty will cover this since the car has been lowered, tuned, etc; though it only has 14K miles.

McJaggleToes

Wheel bearings were my problem. However, the bearings are clicking again in under 3k mi (i suspect a bad install). I've since ordered clubsport S spindles (might as well) and TT bearings.

During the initial replacement by the dealer, I received my car back with the hanger the tech used to support the brake caliper still wrapped around my front driver side spring, and an occasional clunking from the front driver side on suspension compression/decompression. I suspect the tech was sloppy during reassembly and probably didn't correctly tighten the axle bolt or one of the 3 bolts holding the bearing to the spindle. Is this a reasonable suspicion? I've already replaced the control arms, but I don't want to check the bolt until I have one to replace it with.

A loose axle bolt would damage a bearing, correct? Has anyone with the clicking checked the axle bolt for loosening?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dshelton999

Did anyone else have their bearings replaced and did it solve the issue? I also have a cv joint like sound when turning out of a road under acceleration. I can also feel it through the car.

Thanks
Dan

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Gonna get new mounts /bushings installed tomorrow. I’ll report back.

Last edited:

Ovox0

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Reviving an old thread but I just started noticing a ticking noise similar to nikhsub1, coming from my front driver side wheel but only while turning right. I have a 2019 R, car is 5 months old. Did replacing the wheel bearings fix the issue?

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Reviving an old thread as I don't see any solutions. My clicking sounds like many have mentioned. It's a sort of metallic click on the driver side as I turn right. I've changed the wheel bearing and axle. Initially the noise went away, but it's now back. I've also checked brake rotors/pads but nope, the problem remains.

I sprayed the dust boot on the axle with lubricant to see noise would change frequency, and it does. When I put my finger on the outer boot connected to the wheel (rather than transmission), I feel a sort of pulse which pulses each time I turn the wheel (front of car on stands and wheel turned all the way to the passenger side). I've also noticed, after spraying the boot, that the click now happens on both turning left AND right (yaye). So I think the problem is the boot. I'll try to find better lube, but in the meanwhile I'll live the clicking and not worry bout it... I don't notice any ill effects as far as handling so I think this MIGHT be an none-issue.