GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering lock - Who activates it when leaving the car

mawallace

Ready to race!
How many of us activate the steering lock when leaving the vehicle by turning the wheel once we have removed the keys from the ignition - is this something which could cause problems when returning to the car?

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I have never done this. I thought it locked it down? Plus, if someone got into the car and spoofed my key to do so, the wheel lock isn't going to help at all. It made sense for cars that could easily be hotwired and driven without the key, but pretty sure that's not possible anymore.

I could be totally wrong here.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How many of us activate the steering lock when leaving the vehicle by turning the wheel once we have removed the keys from the ignition - is this something which could cause problems when returning to the car?

Yes. You shouldn't strain the steering mechanism. The lock will engage as soon as anyone tries to steal the car and turn the wheel. Not that it matters. You can break the lock by pulling on the wheel hard then tow the car.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
OP that's not how the steering lock is designed to be used... There's no way of turning the steering wheel with the key out without the lock activating therefore it's functionally the same as if you did activate it, just with less of a pain trying to get your key back into the ignition. I've only ever done it accidentally if I knock it with my knee when entering or leaving or if I turn the car off while still slightly moving on a slope or something. Don't activate it intentionally, it will just make you look like an idiot.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
That is a very old school way when steering locks were very basic. New cars (well last couple of decades) have not required any intervention to put the lock on.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
It's a habit from cars past I guess. I always rotate it until it locks when exiting the car. It's maybe a 1/4 turn till it locks. I always e brake too.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
always, activate mine, always in gear, wheels turned to curb if on slope, car in reverse if facing down slope...

old school maybe, but loads of accidents, & brakes letting go, or thieves getting in easy, if people had done the same as me then not so many stories eh??

Dr.Bora

Passed Driver's Ed
If you didn't know how these work, they lock every time you turn the vehicle off and disengages when you hit the ignition(kessy) or turn the key passed acc. Not for sure on the non kessy cars but in mine it is definitely audible when it disengages