GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Border fees on rims

artystamk7

Ready to race!
Does anyone have any idea how much I would have to pay on border fees etc. when I order vmr rims from the states. They are 18's.

MK7Jhajj

Not to take over your thread, but I have the same question. Anyone know?I was planning on ordering through moddedeuros to a US address and then crossing the border with wheels, not sure if I coudl get across without paying any fees.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I brought up a set of Enkei wheels + Michelin tires recently and was only charged taxes, no duties on them after declaring it at the crossing. Definitely saved money in the end because of some good sales I scored.

I can't find my invoice from the clerk though to get an exact amount. But you can get a guess of how much it'll cost via http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

controller

Passed Driver's Ed
It depends on the customs agent. Under NAFTA you should only pay taxes. But if the rims are not made in the USA you could be charged duties which I am unsure of the percentage that could be added on top before taxes. But most customs officer don't go that far unless it's a particular product that would have duties covered under industry protection acts like the Dairy Industry. Hope that helps.

NCR-R

Ready to race!
From what I was told last time I brought in wheels and tires... besides the tax there is a 6% duty charge if the item isn't made in Canada/USA but there can also be an additional fee on top of tires - I don't recall what it was for. He said if the tires are mounted to the wheels they typically don't charge it though.

Either way it's always a crap shoot when crossing... expect to pay a minimum of tax on it but also be prepared to pay the additional duties.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Thanks for the info lads, hoping my sister can cross over with my rims without any issues

Make sure they have copies of the invoice, it makes things a lot easier.

DownNout87

Passed Driver's Ed
Late to the party but figured I'd chime in for anyone still looking..

Don't forget that you'll get charged tax based on the converted Canadian price as well.

$800 VMR wheels will become $1000 CAD (+/-) and you'll get charged tax on the $1000.

And yes, it's pretty much dependent on the agent you get. VMR wheels aren't made in the US so according to the book, you'd pay tax + 6% duties.

I'd say as long as it shows that the origin address is in the US and it doesn't say that the wheels are made overseas on the invoice, it's safe to say you'll just pay the taxes.

Alternatively, if you spend 48 hours in the US, you can bring across $800 worth of goods tax free!