GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inlet Manifold, or Intake Manifold?

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
So I was watching "Wheeler Dealers" this evening, and they were working on an '80's Triumph. Edd removed the cylinder head, and was describing how it connects to the rest of the engine. In doing so, he referred to the "inlet manifold". We in the Colonies, of course, refer to this as the "intake manifold".

So I wondered a couple of things:
a) Is "inlet" a term that's commonly used in the Commonwealth, in the same way as "aluminium"? What about other countries and continents?
b) Does it, by its defined function, actually "take in" air & fuel, or "let in" air & fuel? Is it an active function, as "intake" implies, or is it a more passive function, as "inlet" implies?

As I thought about it more, I think that "inlet" is probably the more proper term. It "lets in" air through the throttle body (which regulates how much is "let in"), but it doesn't actively "take in" air in that the induction of air is caused by the engine producing a vacuum. The engine actually "takes in" the air and fuel.

But being from 'Murica, I'm still going to call it an intake.

I thought of no better place to posit this question than to this Community, as it is so global. So, let's discuss and debate for fun. (Just let's not march or wave flags over it, or pull down statues.)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So I was watching "Wheeler Dealers" this evening, and they were working on an '80's Triumph. Edd removed the cylinder head, and was describing how it connects to the rest of the engine. In doing so, he referred to the "inlet manifold". We in the Colonies, of course, refer to this as the "intake manifold".

So I wondered a couple of things:
a) Is "inlet" a term that's commonly used in the Commonwealth, in the same way as "aluminium"? What about other countries and continents?
b) Does it, by its defined function, actually "take in" air & fuel, or "let in" air & fuel? Is it an active function, as "intake" implies, or is it a more passive function, as "inlet" implies?

As I thought about it more, I think that "inlet" is probably the more proper term. It "lets in" air through the throttle body (which regulates how much is "let in"), but it doesn't actively "take in" air in that the induction of air is caused by the engine producing a vacuum. The engine actually "takes in" the air and fuel.

But being from 'Murica, I'm still going to call it an intake.

I thought of no better place to posit this question than to this Community, as it is so global. So, let's discuss and debate for fun. (Just let's not march or wave flags over it, or pull down statues.)

We just think our way is better, just as the ROW thinks their way is better. Most cases of this type of thing I've seen are because the States didn't want anything to do with the way things were done in Britain after the Revolutionary War. Yet we adopted English law and many other protocols.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inlet_manifold

https://www.thoughtco.com/aluminum-or-aluminium-3980635